SaltCritters.com

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

Thanks man. I'd like to see some pics of your M-tank setup if possible. :)

Semi Update:

Was feeding the fish tonight and noticed something kinda bad/weird.... When I feed the tank... the nassarius snails can't help but climb the glass walls.... and of course the fish are swimming trying to eat the food. After I finish putting enough food in the tank, Cali swims up to the nassarius snails and nips pretty hard at their snorkels. Is this normal? The snails are still alive... but some are missing snorkels... wt?.....

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RayWhisperer

Seems like normal behavior to me.... Every wrasse I've ever had, pretty much nipped at anything that moved. Never seemed to be harmful, but then again, I've never seen the effects of a nassarus without the "snorkle".

Seems like normal behavior to me.... Every wrasse I've ever had, pretty much nipped at anything that moved. Never seemed to be harmful, but then again, I've never seen the effects of a nassarus without the "snorkle".

They seems to move around fine without them... I wonder if they grow back. One dude lost his "snorke" from the very stem. Poor guy.

Yep- normal...I mentioned crustations...but I forgot to mention snails

I tried the nass snails one time...Six line ate them all...Now I have no sand shifters due to this fact...

And If you end up having any stomella snails...they love to eat them also.

I manage to keep some stomellas alive in my refuge...but in tank with Sixline all you see are their little half shells supporting some coraline :P

I love to watch the Sixline...but I will probable remove mine in a year or so to give him a bigger tank and allow some of the critters he hunts to come back in numbers.

Izzue

Well, changed out my year old 150 watt XM 20k MH bulb with the Phoenix 14k bulb and I have to say... these seem a lot brighter. I was also afraid that they wouldn't be blue enough, but now I know that I was very wrong. Beautiful coloring on the tort.... and now Pyro's blue fins are finally blue.

Also, I called PA again this morning and talked to Michelle again... she said that Jeremy was out with other guys getting stuff... including my BSJ! :) Let's all hope that they get him... She said that Jeremy wants to send it out next week for a Wednesday delivery because he thinks it will be stressed when they get him from the actual source (due to shipping from origin). Makes sense... Can't wait for next week to come around with the BSJ. WOOT!

Well, changed out my year old 150 watt XM 20k MH bulb with the Phoenix 14k bulb and I have to say... these seem a lot brighter. I was also afraid that they wouldn't be blue enough, but now I know that I was very wrong. Beautiful coloring on the tort.... and now Pyro's blue fins are finally blue.

Also, I called PA again this morning and talked to Michelle again... she said that Jeremy was out with other guys getting stuff... including my BSJ! :) Let's all hope that they get him... She said that Jeremy wants to send it out next week for a Wednesday delivery because he thinks it will be stressed when they get him from the actual source (due to shipping from origin). Makes sense... Can't wait for next week to come around with the BSJ. WOOT!

Post pics when you come back, I want to see the elusive BSJ

Ocean In A Box

Since I still haven't set mine up I'm jones-in for any more full tank shots of yours...keep up the progress and updates! Nice job!

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

I've been outta touch for a while...

But I'm getting nagged about the aquarium on the kitchen counter :)

So I got 3/4" locline, flared outputs, will be installing 2 with a SCWD in the middle.

The FIJI bottle mod as a fuge sounds awesome...

Still waiting for my remora in the mail...

I'm still debating on what single pump to use in the 600GPH range. The rio just doesn't cut it...

Anyone has any ideas? I do have a MAG7, but it sounds like a bit much - any other thoughts?

Since I still haven't set mine up I'm jones-in for any more full tank shots of yours...keep up the progress and updates! Nice job!

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

OIAB - you need to change your signature to September '06... hopefully you won't need to change it anymore than that! ;)

I've been outta touch for a while...

But I'm getting nagged about the aquarium on the kitchen counter :)

So I got 3/4" locline, flared outputs, will be installing 2 with a SCWD in the middle.

The FIJI bottle mod as a fuge sounds awesome...

Still waiting for my remora in the mail...

I'm still debating on what single pump to use in the 600GPH range. The rio just doesn't cut it...

Anyone has any ideas? I do have a MAG7, but it sounds like a bit much - any other thoughts?

Dude, show me some pics. I don't have any recommendations on a return pump in that range. I'm insterested in seeing what you get though.

M-Tank people... lets see your threads with pics! :) We need to get Finnex a bigger spot on the map! :)

Picture Update

Here's a picture of the second SPS frag I bought from my LFS. It was already browned out when I bought it.... but check out the green polyps. Anyone have any idea what this could be? Also what growth pattern is it? I have an idea that it's a table... but I could be wrong.

Not the best picture, but here it is. Brown flesh right now, bright green polyps.

2ndFrag.jpg

BSJ Update

Still haven't heard from the PA guys via email... so I'm hoping that what Michelle said about it being ready for Wednesday delivery wasn't a lie. They have my cc information, so I guess I'll just be waiting at work on Wednesday for the FedEx man.

Coral Update

I purchased a bunch of frags from seller smcooler off of reefcentral. Here's a link to his thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...threadid=872468

page two has the best pics. What do you guys think?

Nice coral... Looks like it may be purple and light blue from the pics. Is it that way in person?

I'm not great at SPS's, but it looks like a table acro to me too.

I don't go on Reefnazi's anymore. I'll take your word that they are good.

I don't go on Reefnazi's anymore. I'll take your word that they are good.

Ray-

LOL :) You weren't banned were you? (Choice or Voluntold?)

As for the color... the little blue you see may just be the 14k MH... The flesh is really just a brown color. I do vaguely remember seeing a little blue at the tips of it when I was picking it up at the LFS.

BTW does anyone know what the best all in one addative is for Calcium dosing? I'm currently using Walt Smith's Fiji Gold. I know some people here use other brands like Kent products.. Purple up... etc. I'd like to know which is the best.

Ray-

LOL You weren't banned were you? (Choice or Voluntold?)

I've left under my own free will. I've had a few posts deleted, been warned, flamed, you name it. I think I only have 80 some posts over there total. I'll occasionally log on to check my message box, but not too often.

As for an all in one additive, I've got no idea.

Good News and Bad News

Bad news first.... Pyro died today. :( Not sure why, however I had been noticing a regression in his appetite as of late. Came home from work and noticed that he wasn't swimming around with the other guys... looked and looked... didn't find him in his normal spots. Finally, I looked in his normal cave again.. and found him "floating" at the top of the cave's ceiling. <_< Don't know why he died... but I guess it's for the best.. since this will be an SPS only reef. I did not find any evidence of the cause of death... and Cali is still eating well and very active in the tank. Must have been a fluke (not the worm). Checked my water parameters and everything is still in check. PH is stable at 8.1. Nitrites are <.3. Ammonia is @ 0. So I can't see what the problem is? Sigh...

I do have good news though... My Blue Spotted Jawfish IS coming in tomorrow per Jeremy @ PA! I've got a tracking number as well! Yay. Also, my SPS frags are coming in too. It's only a few frags coming in ;) Here's a list of the ones my source is sending:

loripes

tricolor

formosa

blue acul.

tenuis

chips

bonsi

idaho grape tyree

scripps

tubs table

Still need to get some idea on an all in one supplement for SPS coral (calcium etc.)

So like..the funniest or saddest thing happened when I came to work today....

My tank looked a bit unusual today: the 4.4 G that I've been keeping at work a month or two. The reason for my M-22 tank is to upgrade that little monster.

It wasn't until the end of the day that I had figured it out...

Carpet surfers? Hmmm...no.

######ty water? Well, it had been 3 days, but...no.

Disappearing corals? Hmm....no.

Turns out the big o'le cleaner shrimp I had in there, along with the camel shrimp, had disappeared!

Were they molting?

Hmmm...nope.

No crawling out, either...

Sounds like a mysterious case of "the shrimp snatchers"....maybe someone thought they'd make a good snack? There are tons of people in the office, but...methinks it was the cleaning crew...

....so...I was thinking of planting my M22 in my datacenter...ah...a cool 50/60 something degrees...why use a chiller when you have an industrial chiller there, eh? So what's a little evaporation?

We'll have to try it out...with all that light going into the tank, we'll see...

It's a show data center, with customers walking by, so it will be interesting. I'm waiting for a desk to be placed in there, so until then, I'm on a holding pattern mounting the new beast. No more shrimp to the office till then...:)

Are they the same as the frameless 18L 18W 18H ??? Please let me know. Thanx.

Hey man... I'll have to get the measurements later... Hopefully will be able to help you out tomorrow on that one.

The BSJ came in today... She's beautiful. I'll be posting pics tonight. Also I recieved 12 SPS frags today too. :)

Did all of those frags come from the one seller on reefcentral? Wow! They all look great! I have been following your thread since day one and been gathering a lot of ideas for my new M-tank. It is all set up in my apartment but I am taking my time and making sure I do all the mods I want to do BEFORE I fill the tank. I have the 22G Frameless cube with the 150w MH and dual actinic lights. It also will be all SPS with maybe a couple really awesome fish. I am however going BB and will have about 1100gph of flow not including the skimmer. I will definitely be starting a dedicated thread for mine as soon as I start moving along a lil more. Keep up the great thread!

Jordan

I am however going BB and will have about 1100gph of flow not including the skimmer.

Jordan

Jordan...on your flow...is that turn over in the tank or through overflow.

Reason I ask is due to the overflows on M-tank will not be able to handle that much unless you mod the overflow. Pumps inside the tank take up to much room.

BlUe...Looks awesome...I love your new fisheee...when all that SPS fills in WOWOW. I personally have decided I dont care for SPS only...and its hard to maintain anything in the tank with my big hands braking something next to what Im doing...But a mixed tank is truely hard to do...so Im gonna stick with the hardy SPS (monti--digi) so I can also have plenty of softies and LPS

Keep up the great work...would love to see a flash pic of your new fisheee

Izzue

Jordan...on your flow...is that turn over in the tank or through overflow.

Reason I ask is due to the overflows on M-tank will not be able to handle that much unless you mod the overflow. Pumps inside the tank take up to much room.

Izzue

Well, that is something that is still in the planning stages. I am thinking of just taking out the false wall completely and getting a new one made with an overflow on each side that can handle a little bit more and that way I can also drill holes for the bulkheads wherever I want them. Blue, does it look like your overflow would handle much more flow than you have now? Does anyone know the max overflow in these tanks?

Thanks a lot!

Jordan

Thanks for all the compliments. I can't wait for my SPS's to grow out the tank too! That's why I need a suggestion on all in one SPS additives!!! :lol: If someone's got a suggestion, I'm all ears. ;)

As for the overflow capacity.. I honestly think that the stock overflow will be able to handle roughly 900+ GPH easily. The space between the bottom of my frame and the water's surface is about an inch. However, if you have the 22 glass M-Tank, I can't verify if the overflow is built the same. I would think it would be... but you never know. I actually think that 1100 is a feasible flow capacity for the stock overflow... maybe a push... but I don't think it's over the edge.

As for a pic with flash on "Blue", here you go....

BlueFlash.jpg

Some other eye candy:

Rose Millipora

BFRAG1.jpg

Tenuis

BFRAGTENUIS.jpg

Idaho Grape

BFRAGIDAHO.jpg

Chips

BFRAG3.jpg

Tubs Table (Bonsai in the background)

BFRAG2.jpg

Does anyone know the max overflow in these tanks?

Jordon...email Ken at Finnex he should have a pretty good idea what the max is...wow I like your idea of removing the wall...extra overflow and drilling would be easy to accomplish with good workmanship with the wall out...might even be able to utilize a SCWD. I have the 18 gal Finnex but mine was a one time custom due to Acrylic issue...The new tank had a better overflow than the old...it is maxed out with 600 gph...my water level stays at the very top...even have to scrape coraline in the top and main tank seal.

Blue...that s one Sweet Blue Jawfish...thks for the pic...makes his colors standout better :D

Izzue

Archived