Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

p.s. Here's some reading on mine and some other links that I hope you find interesting and applicable to this thread!

Hey Matt, thanks for the compliments. My intentions are to continue this thread for as long as I have the tank.... As for the links, I've been trying to get a hold of Jerome for awhile about the Nano Nimble. I've had one for almost a year and a half now in my 2.5... great product. I want another for my M-tank. Thanks for the other links too... very interesting. Please do get off your arse and get your tank going... I don't want to be the only one out there with a thread on this great tank.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you just take all of the lower trays and place a bunch of chaeto and live rock behind? I couldn't tell by your setup.

Nope. In the second chamber, I have two bottom rain trays, each one with a pump underneath. The bottom rain trays (as stated earlier) have longer legs than the other rain trays. Since the M-tank only comes with one bottom rain tray... I had to order another to accomodate the second pump. (not enough clearance from the middle and top rain tray legs) On top of the second rain tray I only have live rock rubble... no chaeto. For now I have decided not to add any chaeto to my tank. Biggest reason is because it can be a pain sometimes, and I really do not like to deal with it in my 2.5. That's why I removed it from my "fuge". Also, the high flow in that chamber may not be conducive to having macro algae in the back. I may change my view on this later, if after I start running the remora, and still have any algae problems in the display.

As for you new M-tank, congratulations!... It's an awesome tank... I'd like to see some pictures of your 22. Questions though, what supports the top glass covers? Is the glass indented to support the covers? Or are the glass covers siliconed (similar to the acrylic tanks with permanent covers)?

Update

Blue Spotted Jawfish WILL be arriving tomorrow! Woot! Ordered it from Marine Depot Live.

Post pics of it when you get him/her. Whats your sandbed depth, I heard they need like 4+, so pretty much a DSB.

Yeah I know... I currently have more than 2" of sand bed depth... I was planning on moving more sand on one side than the other... I may just add a bit more. I talked to a guy at PA who said that it would be fine with more sand shoved into a corner or so.

Update (again)

I will NOT be getting a blue spotted jawfish tomorrow. Apparently the guys at Marine Depot Live do not know their fish. After numerous calls just to secure the order for a "Blue Spotted Jawfish"... then numerous calls to find out why I hadn't gotten an invoice yet... I finally had one emailed this afternoon... only to find out that they had only charged me 83 dollars (including shipping) on a hundred dollar fish. I was like "What the....?". Then I looked at the charge details... fish listed on the invoice:

Blue Jaw Tilefish Goby -494534 (Hoplolatilus starcki)

............................... then I was like "What the heck?". Called again and cancelled the order. I will never do business with them again.... Shortly after, I called the more trustworthy LFS who already knew that I wanted a BSJ... he said that he had a connection on the west coast now and will be looking for one on my behalf.... Let's hope this is for the win.

P.S. Those guys at Marine Depot Live better have cancelled the shipment, or else...

I have a couple of connections with being on a waiting list for the BSJ... I'm on my LFS's, Premium Aquatics, and now Blue Zoo (via Adrian). Sorry about my rant on the BSJ... I just had my hopes up real high, not to mention that this was my personal favorite fish..... and then have it all fall through the cracks with Marine Depot Live. Not like I'm bitter or anything...

Anyone know of a place selling BSJ?

I picked a BSJ from Sharkysreef for $100 once.

I've also seen them places for $85.

Sea Schorr in Chicago had Helfrichi's recently for $75 - I picked up two, but want one for my M-tank.

One of the threads on the 32G tank has an interesting idea. If you look at the rain trays above the pump, someone placed a couple of Fiji bottles (square) with slots cut on the side (for reduced flow) also receiving water from the top.

I thought that was interesting and it would work.

Also, there's some awesome macroalgae which is a fairly large bubble type - not valonia, not bubble algae - I forget what it's called - but it's awesome. Keeping that in the back as a fuge would be great - that's what I run on my main tank.

Instead of 2 pumps as you ran, I'm considering a mag3 or a mag5 on the bottom with a SCWD switching the plumbing on the sides, possibly with the Hydor flow in the middle...

Instead of 2 pumps as you ran, I'm considering a mag3 or a mag5 on the bottom with a SCWD switching the plumbing on the sides, possibly with the Hydor flow in the middle...

TRott...my 18 gal finnex has Rio 2500 (745 gph??) on SCWD...still had to install a valve on it to reduce a little...but this raises the water line to the top of tank and maxs overflow...I would much rather have that setup then 2 pumps with laminate flow...No offence Blue but I think you would have been better off with this type of setup...esp if you are thinking SPS...they do not like laminate flow.

Izzue

...No offence Blue but I think you would have been better off with this type of setup...esp if you are thinking SPS...they do not like laminate flow.

Izzue

No offence taken... My plan was to get a reef keeper eventually. Hence, no laminate flow once the pumps are programmed.

Ocean In A Box

bluebastion-

Will get off arse, will get off arse, will get off arse ... I can't wait to start the tank -

Continued success on your!!

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hey Matt, thanks for the compliments. My intentions are to continue this thread for as long as I have the tank.... As for the links, I've been trying to get a hold of Jerome for awhile about the Nano Nimble. I've had one for almost a year and a half now in my 2.5... great product. I want another for my M-tank. Thanks for the other links too... very interesting. Please do get off your arse and get your tank going... I don't want to be the only one out there with a thread on this great tank.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Ocean In A Box

bluebastion -

Just noticed that 2.5g link in your signature and I read thru the whole thing...is everything from last year in that tank, now in your cube?

Nice link, video, and pics in that 2.5g thread BTW.

Matt <Ocean In A Box>

Updates??? Oh yeah... forgot. :) Started running my Remora. Already producing some skimmate... wet... but skimmate none the less.

Also, my wife and I are going to the LFS tomorrow morning and picking one of many wrasses... could it be a clown wrasse? Or maybe a flasher? Once I thought it was actually going to be a helfrichi firefish..... but no... alas it's a mystery. Well maybe... maybe a mystery wrasse. We'll see what we come back with.

Post picks when you come back. I really want a sixline wrasse in my fifteen gallon, I know the smallest people go is 20, but I will have a full size remora and a HOB DIY fuge so I think that would be close to twenty, I really want to try one with only a watchman and pistol shrimp in there, what do you think.

Post picks when you come back. I really want a sixline wrasse in my fifteen gallon, I know the smallest people go is 20, but I will have a full size remora and a HOB DIY fuge so I think that would be close to twenty, I really want to try one with only a watchman and pistol shrimp in there, what do you think.

Hmmm not sure. I'm no wrasse expert. Far from it. Until now I've just ignored the whole genus. And as stated in another thread, now I know what I'm missing. They are beautiful fish. I personally was looking into a fish that would be active and out, swimming about. That's why I went the way of the wrasse.

As for the potential watchman/pistol combination you may go.... I had strongly thought about doing one of those, but decided to go the Blue Spotted Jawfish route instead. I personally like the BSJ better than watchmans (or is it watchmen)... BSJ's are my all-time favorite fish. However, the symbiotic relationship (between watchman/pistol) is still left desired. It's a shame that BSJ's don't form that kind of relationship with pistols, or I would have made that an option.

All that said, what is the desired look you wish to achieve for your tank? Corals and LR are for the most part stationary art and decor in the tank.... your fish are the ones that blend everything together... how much "blending" do you want? I personally like active fish to move around the tank........ bringing activity and catching the eye. So if you feel the same way, I think a wrasse would be the better choice.... but if you want to see the beauty of a symbiotic relationship, watchman/pistol would be perfect. IMO, would bring a more mellow tone to the tank.

Just keep in mind Wrasse love to eat crustations...any shrimp would be hard to keep or crab with Wrasse. I had bout 300 small white stars that come out mainly at night when I added my wrasse...within 3 days he wiped the population out pooping white stuff everwhere...lol :P

Blue...Im impressed with your planning...the Reef Keeper sounds GREAT..

Izzue

Yeah, Ive already order the blackray and bulldozer(same as pistol), and I really like wrasses. If I could, I would get a coral beauty or flame angel, but I want to keep corals. I think if I got a sixline I would get a cleaner now and get him big enough and wait later on so the cleaner shrimp could fend for himself. But now Im think shrimp goby and a pair of clowns. Thats about all the fish I could have for a 15. I want to keep shrimp, like my bulldozer and a cleaner, so I might forget about the sixline. Is that clown wrasse reef safe?

Is that clown wrasse reef safe?

Yes, at least as described on marinecenter.com and from what others have mentioned on this board.

Nice Fishee Blue...Wrasse are awesome fish to watch...My Sixline is constantly hunting the reef...Sometimes I take the turkey baster and blast a section of Zoos when the light is on to make them close up...then in comes mr Wrasse hunting that section for little critters hideing beneath :ninja:

Keep me posted on how well BT does with the PC...I havent had much luck with Acro with my 130 watt PC. Pink birdnest does great along with purple and orange MC and MD. I did have a mother colony of Tri Color that lasted bout 6 months before it started browning. I traded to LFS for store credit so it would have a better home.

I do have one Acro growing now...greenish yellow...but it starts browning a day or 2 before water change...just to hard to keep variety tank with some SPS due to all the feeding. But it started out as a frag from LSF almost a year ago and now is a nice little colony...water changes keep it going B)

Sory for all the rambling...3rd cup of coffee

How are your temps so far???

You havent switched to the MH yet have ya??

later

Izzue

Keep me posted on how well BT does with the PC...I havent had much luck with Acro with my 130 watt PC.

How are your temps so far???

You havent switched to the MH yet have ya??

later

Izzue

Cali (short for Kaliedescope), the Clown Wrasse, seems to be doing fine. She's just really shy right now and hiding in between some branch LR and the substrate. From what I've read, this is normal. My guess is, just like Pyro (the Flame Angel), she'll be out in about in a few days, if not more.

As for lighting for the tort... I've had the AquaMedic 150W MH running for quite awhile now. My only concern is that the bulb is almost a year old now. I may try the switch from XM 20K to the Phoenix 14K. We'll see. As for temps... I had been under 80 before I started the Remora... now they settle @ ~81 in the photo period. I think I won't have any heat issues at all unless I add another powerhead. I've got 3 in the tank now... 2 for the returns and one maxijet on the Remora. I'm tempted to add one more as I have a ton of room left over under the remora power head in the first chamber.

Current FTS

CaliFTS.jpg

CaliFTS2.jpg

Cali (short for Kaliedescope) the Solorensis Wrasse

She's been really hard to get a picture of. Although, Cali has been more bold at swimming around, she also is still camera shy. Here are a few more pics I was able to snap.

Colors so pretty... pretty colors... must have colors....

Caliagain.jpg

Did I mention she likes working out? Here's her on the treadmill. Cali likes to swim by the overflow where the current is flowing towards the slats. She then turns away from the overflow and just swims the opposite direction, against the flow... like a treadmill. First time I've seen this behavior in a fish... anyone seen this before?

Treadmill.jpg

Treadmill2.jpg

And as a teeny bonus here's a half-macro of Mollie (the maid) the Cleaner Shrimp:

MollieMacro.jpg

Well................... still waiting on my source about the blue spotted jawfish. Jeremy, at Premium Aquatics, on Monday said he'd get them in on Tuesday or today... guess what... talked to Michelle, and she had no idea where they were... (but she did know that Jeremy told me they'd have it)...

Do I just keep getting screwed on this fish or what. Either tell me you got it or tell me you don't. Sigh... I guess we'll see where this goes.

I did get another SPS frag for my tank. I can't really identify it... but it's a brown one (for now)... Rick (the guy at my LFS) said that they should turn to a nice purple... the polyps however are neon green. Very nice.

After acclimating the frag, I pulled the plugs on the pumps to feed the tank.... to my amazement I saw a really small jelly fish swimming in the tank. It was really cool looking. Only about 1 mm in size... but still cool none the less. Also saw a bunch of other mini-creatures moving about... almost like the water was spawning sea monkeys.

Anyways.. that's my update. As for PA.. I'm a little dissapointed with them. Been somewhat mislead.. hopefully they'll pull through.

ChronicClownfish

Nice choice on the Wrasse. I will certainly consider one for my next fish. Nice job on the corals. I have been following your progress and things are really shaping up. Congrats.

Archived