SaltCritters.com

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And for those who haven't voted yet on Reef Central for September Nano Reef of the month....

NTOMANGLE.jpg

NTOMFTS.jpg

NTOMSIDESHOTFTW.jpg

Pictures were taken w/ my new Fuji Film S6000fd

• 2 weeks later...

Just got a shipment in from Aquarium Specialty (a sponsor on this site)...

NewStuff.jpg

Thanks, Scott!

It was long overdue to buy a new MH bulb and I decided to go back to my roots... Phoenix 14k... except this would be the first time running a new 250w bulb. The bulb I replaced was a 10k Reeflux 250 DE.

14k.jpg

What do you guys think?

I also bought some frag plate magnets from ChiefReef.com... I like these better than any other frag/magnet alternative because it's not as bulky and decently priced. I bought them because it's about time I started fragging some pieces and selling them (for the first time). My corals have grown crazily since I started this tank.

MTank070.jpg

MTank069.jpg

FTS 10.5.07

MTank067.jpg

Thanks keith for the compliment.

I've got my first batch of frags mounted on my new frag magnets.

FirstFrags3.jpg

This picture was taken with the camera turned side ways. The frags are magnetically stuck on the right side glass wall.

I think they work out well... I was at a crux at whether I should have used epoxy or glue... I chose epoxy due to the magnets hanging vertically. It's been 24 hrs and so far so good. All frags have great PE.

Also took some quick shots of the coral mother colonies...

Here are some before and after shots you guys might be interested in:

Tubs Table

BFRAG2.jpg

TubsTable.jpg

Now

Tenuis

BFRAGTENUIS.jpg

Tenuis.jpg

Now

Idaho Grape

BFRAGIDAHO.jpg

IdahoGrape.jpg

Now

Rose Millipora

BFRAG1.jpg

RoseMilliBEST.jpg

Now

ay.....dont attach the frags to putty...the putty gets really hot while hardening and has a chance to kill the frag. just use superglue gel instead

ay.....dont attach the frags to putty...the putty gets really hot while hardening and has a chance to kill the frag. just use superglue gel instead

Thanks for watching out for me ez... Super glue was actually my first choice... (and I do have cyanoacrylate).. however, the frags are mounted via magnet vertically on a wall... so the frags themselves are horizontal. That said, with all the flow in my tank, I was afraid that they would get knocked off the actual frag mounts. I did my research before using the putty.... good read here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2007-01/gh/index.php

To play it safe as possible the 2 part epoxy was given about 15 minutes to "cure" so that the heat would be given time to hopefully subside.... and the frags mounts were positioned in a high flow area of the tank (per reef keeping magazines instructions) to help cool the epoxy if heat is generated. So far so good, and PE is rivaling that of the mother colonies.

Thanks guys for the compliments... yeah it's a bummer I didn't win last months contest, but I can only look forward. God willing, I have 2 years left with this tank (I anticipate my move back down to Jacksonville, FL by then)... so that's how much growth I have yet to see. I can't wait. Until then...

Well, finally got to order a replenishment order of clean up crew from Reef Scavengers (NR sponsor)... Somewhat a different stocking list this time around, compared to what I started with. I went ahead and just paid for shipping 2-3 day priority as the arrive alive guarantee is still good with what I ordered.... and I live in SC... not too far from FL. Here's the list:

Item Name: Nerite Snail

Quantity: 2

Item Name: Sand Sifting Crab

Item Name: Spotted Porcelain Crab

Item Name: Stocky Cerith Snail

Quantity: 3

Item Name: Scarlet Hermit Crab

Quantity: 4

Can't wait to get the filter feeders in... both the Spotted Porcelain Crab, and the sand sifting crabs. The latter I'm a little "worried" about as I can't find any info on them except on Reef Scavenger's website. From the pics, I can see why they are called sand fleas.

you make the asians proud. But please change your lighting to something less blue. It washes out all your colors

LOL, thanks supernip... :) Unfortunately, I think the 10k Reeflux bulb I had was worse... to the naked eye, the Phoenix looks way better color wise.. at least with my magnetic ballast (frown). :)

I'll be honest but it's totally just my opinion but I love the white of the 10k vs the 14k bulbs. But stilllll none the less it's an amazing looking tank with awesome growth!

When and where are you going to sell those frags? (I'm Interested) Keep us updated!!! Tank looks awesome BTW!

Clint

I'll be selling them soon. I wanted to wait until the corals encrusted some of the epoxy... today is the first day I have been able to see evidence of that. When I first received my corals as 1-2" frags... I had some that didn't make it because they were freshly cut. The ones that were already mounted to a small piece of rock, or frag mount were the ones that made it. IME that will make the difference in surviving shipment the most.

very sweet tank.........love those finnex tanks

Thanks... I love them too. Very well designed, and you don't need to mod the actual tank much for functionality... just drop in a better skimmer, add some powerheads... and call it a day. Ken at Finnex is an awesome guy to work with too.

Well, here's the order from www.reefscavengers.com

This is right after the box was opened

MTANKCUC001.jpg

Packaging (livestock bags are surrounded by bubble wrap) I have never seen this kind of packaging before, but seems to work as most livestock seem lively

MTANKCUC002.jpg

Filter Feeding Crabs (these guys are crazy awesome!)

MTANKCUC005.jpg

Porcelain Crab 1 of 2

MTANKCUC007.jpg

Nerites

MTANKCUC006.jpg

I also bought 4 more hermits... scarlets

I'll leave off with this picture of one of the nerites with a living barnacle on it! Uber cool.

MTANKCUC012.jpg

i would say they are inexperienced snail shippers. it is usually better to ship snails using a damp wet cloth or very little water because they kill themselves with their own waste underwater.

i would say they are inexperienced snail shippers. it is usually better to ship snails using a damp wet cloth or very little water because they kill themselves with their own waste underwater.

I agree to a degree... at least two of the stocky ceriths seem to have arrived DOA. The Nerites on the other hand are all alive. Go figure.

Archived