inTank Media Baskets

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

So i should not use Phosban. Just the Chemipure. Is the Chemipure Elite much better then the regular Chemipure?

Yes a little algae problem. Not that big but still a problem.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So i should not use Phosban. Just the Chemipure. Is the Chemipure Elite much better then the regular Chemipure?

Yes a little algae problem. Not that big but still a problem.

There isn't really a "better" in my opinion. The phosban and the Chemipure Elite both have phosphate absorbing properties... so both get the job done. If you have the phosban, use the phosban. I used phosban until I ran out of it... it's a good product, but I just hated how much rinsing you had to do, and how fickle it is made out to be with flow. That's why I went with Chemipure Elite instead... rinse and put in the rear chamber, without worrying if there was too much flow,... or not enough.

As for the algae... that is expected from a new tank.. You're going to fight an uphill battle your first year against algae... after that though your tank should find an "equilibrium" and not so hard to keep that algae in check. I personally recommend approaching the problem (no matter how big) with full force: Mechanical (manually plucking the algae out very often), Chemical (Using Phosban or equivalent, in conjunction with PhosBuster), and lastly Biological (Algae eating CUC: i.e. Mexican Turbos).

Good Info. I passed on the Phosban and only using the Chemipure. I got each botthe for $5 each so I just tried got them both. I ran the Chemipure in a bucket using RODI water for a little bit. I was very surprised of the black stuff that came out. The picture you posted when you ran the Chemipure your bag looks white. My bag is STRAIGT Black. Is this how it suppose to be when you first start the Chemipure? NASTY looking stuff.

The reason Im running a Phosban with Chemipure is because I have a bunch of Rics on the sand bed and a bunch of SPS on top. I just want to clean all the waiste the Rics release so the sps wont get damage.

Good Info. I passed on the Phosban and only using the Chemipure. I got each botthe for $5 each so I just tried got them both. I ran the Chemipure in a bucket using RODI water for a little bit. I was very surprised of the black stuff that came out. The picture you posted when you ran the Chemipure your bag looks white. My bag is STRAIGT Black. Is this how it suppose to be when you first start the Chemipure? NASTY looking stuff.

The reason Im running a Phosban with Chemipure is because I have a bunch of Rics on the sand bed and a bunch of SPS on top. I just want to clean all the waiste the Rics release so the sps wont get damage.

Good reasoning for the precautions... however, the/a skimmer would do a better job of getting that slime/poop from the softies out of the water than any chemical additives IMO. As for the bag being black... you can just run the Chemipure bag under tap to rinse. There won't be any harm in doing so, and you'll have RO water for your top off instead of being wasted to rinse out media. Most people rinse Phosban/Chemipure in tap.

I have no idea why some of my sps frags are starting to bleach a little bit on the tips. My ORA Blue acro is starting to do it also. My sps polyps doesnt really open up that much either. I hope this doesnt mean DOWNHILL for the SPS :o I do every thing Im suppose to and I have no idea what Im doing wrong. The only sps that doing great is my Birdsnest which is strating to grow alot. All my softies are doing great also. Its just the sps that not doing to good. I do water changes every week. Dose bionic1+2 every couple of days and feed my tank with about 8 drops of live Phyto feast every 3 days so I dont know what im doing wrong.

Any help on what I should look for or do?

I have no idea why some of my sps frags are starting to bleach a little bit on the tips. My ORA Blue acro is starting to do it also. My sps polyps doesnt really open up that much either. I hope this doesnt mean DOWNHILL for the SPS :o I do every thing Im suppose to and I have no idea what Im doing wrong. The only sps that doing great is my Birdsnest which is strating to grow alot. All my softies are doing great also. Its just the sps that not doing to good. I do water changes every week. Dose bionic1+2 every couple of days and feed my tank with about 8 drops of live Phyto feast every 3 days so I dont know what im doing wrong.

Any help on what I should look for or do?

As you've stated, your tank is pretty new... that right there could be the problem.... Granted, I started early on SPS myself with this tank... ( knowing every tank is different)... but the rule of thumb is not to put SPS in the tank until ALL parameters are stable. Your algae problem indicates phosphates, which can kill SPS, but if your SPS are dying they can cause worse problems nutrient/waste wise in the tank. How is the flow in your tank? Are you directly blasting any corals? The way flow is "engineered" in our tank can also kill SPS corals... Sounds like your feeding regime is fine, but it couldn't hurt to cut back to once a week, especially until you get the phosphate/algae problem solved. I'm not an expert in SPS coral, and don't claim to be... however I am basing all my advice on personal experience and am fully committed to helping you as much as I can. Test all your water parameters (including PO4), make sure none of the corals that are receding are getting direct flow from powerheads or returns, and I think you might find your problem. If none of those help, you could have a coral "STD"... like red bugs or AEFW. There are so many things that this could be, and is hard to diagnose unless you go about the process of elimination.

brshiver - thanks for joining me. :)

I think im blasting my corals with too much flow. Im going to try to point all the pumps towards the front of the tank and let see how that goes. Im going to do a full water test of every thing possible.

BB you been very helpful. :)

Thanks

I think im blasting my corals with too much flow. Im going to try to point all the pumps towards the front of the tank and let see how that goes. Im going to do a full water test of every thing possible.

BB you been very helpful. :)

Thanks

Anytime. :) I'd rather do it here, than in pm. My pm box gets full real fast... not because I'm popular (which my wife just made fun of me for when writing this)... we just don't have a ton of room to keep pm's... and I like to keep a lot of them. ;)

Cute wrasse story and pics!

Anytime. :) I'd rather do it here, than in pm. My pm box gets full real fast... not because I'm popular (which my wife just made fun of me for when writing this)... we just don't have a ton of room to keep pm's... and I like to keep a lot of them. ;)

LOL! I just got around to becoming a premium member after meaning to for years...anyway, I didn't really know what it entailed...turns out it allows you to keep 500 PM's! Shoot, if I'd've known that, I'd've signed up LONG ago. :D

--Diane

I have no idea why some of my sps frags are starting to bleach a little bit on the tips. My ORA Blue acro is starting to do it also. My sps polyps doesnt really open up that much either. I hope this doesnt mean DOWNHILL for the SPS :o I do every thing Im suppose to and I have no idea what Im doing wrong. The only sps that doing great is my Birdsnest which is strating to grow alot. All my softies are doing great also. Its just the sps that not doing to good. I do water changes every week. Dose bionic1+2 every couple of days and feed my tank with about 8 drops of live Phyto feast every 3 days so I dont know what im doing wrong. Any help on what I should look for or do?
As BB said, don't forget to test params - especially CA, Alk and Mag! Any of those out of whack can cause fading.
Cute wrasse story and pics!LOL! I just got around to becoming a premium member after meaning to for years...anyway, I didn't really know what it entailed...turns out it allows you to keep 500 PM's! Shoot, if I'd've known that, I'd've signed up LONG ago. :D--Diane
Me too -_- Checking out the price now!

Great News!!!!

I've got ORA Dustin's, Lokani, and Turaki on the way in! Look at some pics on www.carolinafrags.com in the sps section.

Yo blue i have to say that your Nano is one of the best SPS nano's i have seen!!! i hope mine looks as good as yours some day :) how bout some after Xmas pics ;) lol...

Yo blue i have to say that your Nano is one of the best SPS nano's i have seen!!! i hope mine looks as good as yours some day :) how bout some after Xmas pics ;) lol...

erickrm - You asked for it... you got it :) Well, at least the Christmas present to myself using the reef funds that my family gave to me for Christmas......

Late night yesterday, I noticed that I missed a phone call on my cell. Checked my voice mail message from Larry at CarolinaFrags.com. He stated to call him, but didn't want to call that late..., so I checked my email to see if there was a message with more elaboration. Checked, there was an email and it stated the same and also asked for a different number... so I replied, but also inquired if all was well. This morning, I read the reply... He stated that the Lokani frag that I had ordered had damage on the bottom because of another coral it was duking it out with... but he had another Lokani piece that he has sent. He stated that if I had any problem with what was sent, that he'd refund me for the Lokani. Now that is what I call service! I told him if I didn't like what I received, I'd say something... but I like what I received...

so without further ado...

The shipment: I only ordered three pieces; ORA Dustin's Deep Acro, Turaki, and Lokani... What could the others be?

Shipment.jpg

There was a little leakage on the shipping box and in the styro-foam box... when opening, I thought I might have a problem... but every frag bag had a good amount of water in it... It was the Turaki bag that couldn't "hold it." ;)

LittleLeakage.jpg

ORA Dustin's Deep Water Acro 12.28.07

122807ORADustinsDeepWaterAcro.jpg

Turaki 12.28.07

122807Turaki.jpg

Carolina Frags LE Lokani (not yet released) and replacement frag for my damaged 2000 League Lokani Frag 12.28.07

122807Lokani.jpg

The extras:

This one was marked Effloresce G..... (and the second name rubbed off)... colors are brown and yellow/green

EffloresceG.jpg

Carolina Frags Deep Water Baby Blue Tip Acro

DeepwaterBabyBlueTips.jpg

Both have since been mounted.

Overall my experience with Larry at Carolina Frags has actually been the best I've had... he communicates with his buyers well, and fixes things that need to be fixed. Also, WYS *IS* WYG. :) Couldn't be happier!

Just another colored stick... :unsure:

Just joking...me knows very little SPS talk...Ive got easy montis...but the nice

stuff like you got...IM clueless.

No SPS bug...but Ive sure been bit by the LPS bug (micros i love) just take awhile

to grow large enough to see...LOL

Nice new additions...I do like your tank alot...can you imagine what thats gonna look

like in a couple of more years :D

Izzue

Nice new additions...I do like your tank alot...can you imagine what thats gonna look

like in a couple of more years :D

Izzue

A box of overcrowded crayons?

:P

mUCH Nicer than crayons...and of course :bling:

The fun of watching your 6-line manage his way through all the SPS

will be awesome to watch also

Izzue

I have an order coming in from Larry at carolinafrags, too. I have been VERY impressed with his customer service...he even put my corals on hold for me until after the new year just at my request. I can't wait to get my aussie scoly, acans, purple death and nuclear greens! I hope mine look as good as the SPS that you received. Your frags and tank look great.

I have an order coming in from Larry at carolinafrags, too. I have been VERY impressed with his customer service...he even put my corals on hold for me until after the new year just at my request. I can't wait to get my aussie scoly, acans, purple death and nuclear greens! I hope mine look as good as the SPS that you received. Your frags and tank look great.
Larry is definitely an A+ in my book on customer service. I don't think you can be disappointed with your order from them. Let me know know how your order went! :)

This thread needs an update!!!! :P NEED a FTS with the new frags mounted!!!!Izzue

Since you're twisting my arm... ;)

FTS1072008A.jpg

FTS1072008B.jpg

FTS1072008C.jpg

Fresh out of the camera just for you! :)

Archived