Innovative Marine Aquariums

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I'm tagging this for future reference, but... I miss my old 20L SPS setup, and digging through your tank's thread has made me miss it even more. Haha. Your setup looks great, and it's so close to what I want to do with a setup in my studio right now. Just wanted to let you know that you have a new admirer of your updates. ;)

P.S. - Anything you'd do differently if you could start over again?

wow this is a great tank... and only a year and a half of growth... cant wait to see it in 2 more years... this def a top 5 tank, it looks so mature :wub:

Thanks guys for the compliments :) Since the tank is established, I don't have a lot of updates often... except for the occasional update pics... both FTS and growth. Right now, I'm slowly working on a prop tank build since my corals are getting crowded... and my blue tort is basically out of the water now... but no recessing yet. Thanks again for looking. :)

Quick question. Looks like you've been using your new 250W 14k bulb for roughly 2mos now. Aside from the bluer tones, have you noticed any difference in color and growth between this 14k and your old 10k reeflux? I'm thinking of swapping out my 20k bulb to yours and also picking up some of your frags the next time around ;) Looks like you got it all figured out. Why should i reinvent the wheel?

Quick question. Looks like you've been using your new 250W 14k bulb for roughly 2mos now. Aside from the bluer tones, have you noticed any difference in color and growth between this 14k and your old 10k reeflux? I'm thinking of swapping out my 20k bulb to yours and also picking up some of your frags the next time around ;) Looks like you got it all figured out. Why should i reinvent the wheel?

For the short time I've had the Phoenix 14k bulb, it seems to me that I've had the same amount of growth as when I had the 12k Reeflux. Supposedly, the Phoenix has more PAR, so that said, I wouldn't have expected anything different, if not better results. As far as the frags, I can make a batch just for you if you want... heck I can even throw in a free Garf Bonsai frag that has fully healed over and encrusted... the mother colony was sold to me has garf bonsai, but it has taken on a more tricolor look... as the tips are what are purple. pm me and we'll work out the details. ;) I've been waiting to churn out batch C because it was colder not too long ago, but apparently the cold has left the building.

+1 on being interested in frags next time you decide to harvest. Keep me in mind, esp for the GARF bonsai. I have always wanted a piece of that stuff, but have never had the opportunity to get it. If anything of mine interests you, let me know, and maybe we could work a trade.

Phew......... we finally got some rain today along with some thunder and lighting. In effect, we had some short power flickers... one being extremely short which seemed to have knocked out my digital heater's controller... so the heater stuck on..... so when my MH lights kept turning off and on (becuase of it's safety shut off)... I was like wth? So I finally snooped around after the second or third cycle... it was the heater stuck on. A quick unplug and replug to "reboot" it and the heater is fine. Times like these it's great to have a controller like the RK2. Otherwise, the MH light wouldn't have had a safety shut off, nor would the heater (it didn't get hot enough to shut it off yet). Wowzas.

Phew......... we finally got some rain today along with some thunder and lighting. In effect, we had some short power flickers... one being extremely short which seemed to have knocked out my digital heater's controller... so the heater stuck on..... so when my MH lights kept turning off and on (becuase of it's safety shut off)... I was like wth? So I finally snooped around after the second or third cycle... it was the heater stuck on. A quick unplug and replug to "reboot" it and the heater is fine. Times like these it's great to have a controller like the RK2. Otherwise, the MH light wouldn't have had a safety shut off, nor would the heater (it didn't get hot enough to shut it off yet). Wowzas.

Praise the Lord! My frags are safe (inside joke). Just the other day I put my heater on a timer to go off when my halide is on, as a safety measure, since I don't have an RK2.

Not to steal any thunder of praise... as I said the same thing inside... but if the temp hit 84 degrees the RK2 would have reboot the heater anyways... the MH light is set to turn off at 83.5 degrees....Tank runs at ~79-80 normally with hardly any fluctuations since the fan comes on if it gets too hot... and the heater switches on if it gets too cold. Everything that can change the temp of the tank has an emergency shut off.

Very Impressive...

YOu give M tanks a proud name B)

Im amazed with the growth of your SPS

Keep up the great work Blue

Izzue

Long time no talk(post) Izzue :) I missed ya man.

EDIT: In other news, I had to chop chop chop my blue tort down as it was growing out of the water.... So now I've got a mini colony that I plan to be the first of many frags growing in my prop tank... once it gets going, that is.

Tks Bro

I havent been on the boards as much until it gets colder...

Broke all my tanks down to a 75 gal ...that has and is taking time

to get sorted out...REd hair algae from the far deepths of the

world..LOL

Just changed all the fish... new pic I just added to my galary.

That is one side of the tank...havent posted the other side or

LPS middle.

I need to get a thread started...

The Wife and I are planning a Hawaii trip 1 quarter next year.

So Im not so sure about Atlanta yet...Ill just play it with time.

Take Care

Izzue

Tks Bro

I havent been on the boards as much until it gets colder...

Broke all my tanks down to a 75 gal ...that has and is taking time

to get sorted out...REd hair algae from the far deepths of the

world..LOL

Just changed all the fish... new pic I just added to my galary.

That is one side of the tank...havent posted the other side or

LPS middle.

I need to get a thread started...

The Wife and I are planning a Hawaii trip 1 quarter next year.

So Im not so sure about Atlanta yet...Ill just play it with time.

Take Care

Izzue

Wow, didn't know your nano was taken down. :( I gotta keep up with these things.

Tks for checking out the Anthias

So far they are cool...but they like to eat alot..LOL

Izzue

Oh :mellow: The comment was on the beautiful tank! ;)

BB. Are you still running the Phosban Reactor with Phosphate bag and the Chemipure bag? I have a bunch of rics now on the bottom sand bed and bunch of SPS so Im going to be running the same setup. How this setup working for you.

Also how much of the Phosbam media do you put in the bag and how much of the Chemipure do you put in the bag.

Man BB your tank looks awesome!!

BB. Are you still running the Phosban Reactor with Phosphate bag and the Chemipure bag? I have a bunch of rics now on the bottom sand bed and bunch of SPS so Im going to be running the same setup. How this setup working for you.

Also how much of the Phosbam media do you put in the bag and how much of the Chemipure do you put in the bag.

Man BB your tank looks awesome!!

No, I actually stopped running the Phosban reactor early, as I was lacking in maintaining it (changing out the phosban)... I bought a CPR HOB Refugium to take it's place. In all honesty and in hindsight, I believe that the reactor was a waste of money as I can just put a media bag full of phosban and dunk it in the back of the last chamber. I truly think it will/would do the same thing. While we are on the subject... I actually have quit using phosban and started using Chemipure Elite (as it supposedly has phosphate absorption capabilities). So far so good.

Why would you be needing to run Phosban anyways? Are you having an algae issue?

My Wrasse's Ipod

Today I got home from work and I looked into my ocean view. Everything looked great, the parts where I had fragged a few days ago are healing up nicely... but all of the sudden, my six-line sped by with something out of place. It took me a while to figure out as he quickly darted in and out of caves... at first I thought it was a piece of bubble algae as it was shiny and opaque... but after a better look I quickly discovered it was THE pod. You see, every once in a while I'd find a huge pod molt floating or moving about the water... and I wondered how it got so big as I thought the fish would would be highly efficient at keeping them low in numbers, and small in size... well today, I found out just how big this sucker was. Here are some fuzzy pics as the wrasse swims crazy fast for picture taking...

Problems gobbling him up.... he had to swim against a rock to shove it in.

Pod.jpg

This is the best pic, as you can see some appendages from the pod sticking out of the six-line's mouth

Pod2.jpg

A happy and very full wrasse...

Pod3.jpg

Maybe I won't see of the big molts floating around anymore?

He'll eat all of them if he can. But such beautiful fish. I had a fourline wrasse and it destroyed all my shrimp and pods. I kept an in-tank fuge, though--one of those Lee's specimen containers, a large one drilled with holes for water flow and suction cups attached--and it was always full of all kinds of pods, serpent stars, etc. because the wrasse couldn't get at them. Worth it--the fish was just beautiful, one of my favorites EVAR. :wub:

Archived