Top Shelf Aquatics

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

dang my job wont let me see the pics lol.... you nee do use a diff kind of pic share!! just so i can see them lol j/k will check em when i get home :)

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :) I don't know if anyone noticed but I had to chop down the largest branch of blue tort that was 1/8" out of the water... so it's stubby now, and the branch I cut off is a nice mini colony now.

SO pretty!What is that Cap on the left side of all the pics?

That's actually a Turbinaria, or cup coral that has created a beautiful growth pattern. It is a rusty orange with yellow polyps.

dang my job wont let me see the pics lol.... you nee do use a diff kind of pic share!! just so i can see them lol j/k will check em when i get home :)

Hey, it's a free service.. whaddaya expect? ;)

Awesome tank.I love this photo.11.jpg

Also my favorite picture of my faux-"onyx" clown.

Blue, How do you pick your SPS for your particular look?

I don't even know what my particular look is, in all honesty... but if there is one factor that dictates what corals I buy, it would be color. I try to buy what doesn't look the same with what I already have. Growth pattern would come second as a deciding factor.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. :) I don't know if anyone noticed but I had to chop down the largest branch of blue tort that was 1/8" out of the water... so it's stubby now, and the branch I cut off is a nice mini colony now.

What would have happened if you'd let it be? Would it have continued to grow beyond the water line?!

That's actually a Turbinaria, or cup coral that has created a beautiful growth pattern. It is a rusty orange with yellow polyps.

Turbinaria always catch my eye. (Especially yours.) Are they sps? Not as light-demanding?

--Diane

THEY ARE MEDIUM-POLYP STONY. I WILL COPYRIGHT THAT PHRASE. ;)

Love your choice of fish!Great shots of the Sixline. The first I've ever seen to catch them eating.Will tag along.
Thanks for looking! Yeah, my fish choice is so so... the biggest reason I say so-so is the royal gramma. If I could do it all over again in fish choice, I never would have gotten him. He can be a bully at feeding time.
What would have happened if you'd let it be? Would it have continued to grow beyond the water line?!Turbinaria always catch my eye. (Especially yours.) Are they sps? Not as light-demanding?--Diane
I'm not sure exactly if I had let it be.. but I can say that it seems that it was sliming at the top where the tip was coming out of the water. That enough was reason for me to cut it.. I just didn't want excess nutrients in the water for no good reason. The area I've cut has actually healed over real well and has at least one branching bump starting to protrude. :)As for the Turbinaria, it is considered an SPS coral, however like Caesar777 stated, they can be called "Medium Polyped"... as the polyps are a bigger variety. (Think size comparison of palys and zoanthids).
THEY ARE MEDIUM-POLYP STONY. I WILL COPYRIGHT THAT PHRASE. ;)

mps. Check. © Caesar777 :D

As for the Turbinaria, it is considered an SPS coral, however like Caesar777 stated, they can be called "Medium Polyped"... as the polyps are a bigger variety. (Think size comparison of palys and zoanthids).

I do remember reading that our lps/sps dichotomy was rather arbitrary, but it sure seems to work well as shorthand. Still, nice to meet an "mps." :)

--Diane

suppressive fire
Larry is definitely an A+ in my book on customer service. I don't think you can be disappointed with your order from them. Let me know know how your order went! :)

Since you're twisting my arm... ;)

FTS1072008A.jpg

FTS1072008B.jpg

FTS1072008C.jpg

Fresh out of the camera just for you! :)

whats your bulb set-up? ballast ect. and are all thoes pics the same b-cuz they look like the one has actinics on thanks for your help i love the color of you lighting the perfect white/blue tint.

• 1 month later...

250W Phoenix 14k bulb, Aqua Medic Ocean Light (pendant and magnetic ballast). The pictures are at different angles which seem to change the way the camera takes the pics... so that would be why it may seem to change in color.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
bluebastion

Sorry keith. I haven't been on as much as I used because my work department has been understaffed until recent. That has basically caused me to be burnt out with anything having to do with using a computer. But now things are better at work, with the new hires almost up to par with training as well. All that to say, I'm back for the most part and will update with pics soon.

• 2 months later...
bluebastion

Thought a few of you would still be interested. I've got some clean up to do before I take an updated FTS shot.

SneakPeakUpdate.jpg

P.S. yeah that Rose Milli is growing like weeds and I've got to do some major fragging soon once I get the fragubator back into action. Look closely and you can see the Chips Acropora living in the Rose's shade.

bluebastion
WOW!!!!!!!

:bowdown:

Izzue

As always, thanks Izzue.

You really are a master of the nano. :)

Just waiting for you to upgrade to MH or T5's so I can get you started on some SPS :)

Archived