Coral Vue Hydros

bluebastion's 20g SPS M-Tank (glass)

bluebastion

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
irishtexan

Your tank is just beautiful. B) Its just awesome.

LMK when you make frags cause I'm definately interested in some smaller frags for my 10G. Especially that rose milli, its a beauty! ;)

-texx

bluebastion
awesome nano man!

reading this thread helped me formulate my approach a bit more!

thanks!!

NP, glad to help.. and good luck. I hope by the end of this week, I'll have a real updated fts. However, until I get my butt in gear to clean up the tank (i.e. scrape the green coraline algae off the side, pull some nuissance algae, clean the outer glass), I dare not post another pic.

Stunning...glad to see some of your amazing pictures and corals. Glad to see that everything is still thriving for you.

bluebastion

PHOTO UPDATE

Here's my tank now. Definitely more growth, but also more imperfection due to the same. Since the corals are growing in such a tight tank, they are quickly outgrowing their tiny areas and running into each other. This of course, triggers a bio-chemical war in my tank... so colors on the corals are less brilliant, and free floating proteins are readily accessible to the nuisance algae (including caulerpa in the back of my tank). I'm currently trying to get the tank in better condition as I have somewhat neglected the tank recently (due to being short staffed and overworked at my job, and feeling burnt out -even during my off days). So without further ado...

FTS642008A.jpg

FTS642008C.jpg

FTS642008B.jpg

Couldn't pick just one.. so I picked 3 out of the dozen pictures I took.

Do You Remember?

Almost 2 years ago now...

9-3.jpg

Idaho Grape 9.7.2006

9-2.jpg

Rose Milli 9.7.2006

9.jpg

Blue Tort 9.7.2006

BFRAG2.jpg

Tubbs Table 9.7.2006

And the video I made when the tank was just getting established.

^-- I agree.

Fraggieness is one thing that nanos often suffer from IMO. I really like the look of big colonies, even if they are SPS. :P

Wow - I can't believe how much it's changed it two years! Your tank is amazing and I love the colors. I'll be following along for future updates and, of course, the frag tank :lol: . I'm just a short drive away and in your area about one a month.

Beautiful pics!!!!

Nice to run into another South Carolinian on here :) I've been following your thread for a while now but just haven't posted anything. You have an absolutely stunning tank. As the others have mentioned, it's nice to see a tank that is grown out and not just a bunch of frags (which is where everyone starts at).

As PodRod mentioned, we are all in the same general area so maybe at some point down the line we can all get a frag swap going. I was tempted to get the frags you were selling a couple months ago but didn't have the funds at the time.

• 2 weeks later...
bluebastion

Thanks everyone for the compliments... I've still have to work harder in getting my aquarium back up to par. Some green hair algae has taken hold after the emerald crab died... (couldn't find the body... but he hasn't been seen in 1.5 months). Not a big deal, but it's not fun looking at in a corner of the tank.

BAD NEWS:

Other things I'm dealing with is the Chips coral is STN'ing. It's definitely a sad thing to see since it was one of of my first corals. A very slow grower, it is small compared to the other colonies. I think the reason for it's dwindling is because of the rapid growth of the Rose Milli, directly above and adjacent to it. I had to cut back the Rose Milli a few weeks ago, but I think it's much too late for the Chips unless some miracle happens. If/when the necrosis creeps far enough, I will clip a good frag off the Chips in hopes that it will become a new colony.

GOOD NEWS:

My personal reef website is back up... this time under my own domain name ^^.

http://www.bluebastion.com

if you're interested in watching the tank live, click on the MyReef Tab, and link. I have to get the ph probe calibrated before you can see the readings. More on that soon.

Some shout-outs:

Congratulations to Mr.Fosi on his new tank!

Congratulations to RayWhisperer on getting his new job... Ninja Mod :ninja:

Welcome Back PurpleUp! Hang in there!

Very nice updates and nice web site.

I don't know how you get so much into a nano. I can't get that much into my 110!

Nice work!

bluebastion

And again.. the website is back up.. stupid power went out and changed my local ip address for the dedicated server ><

bluebastion
Did you disconnect your pH probe?

No just too lazy to recalibrate the probe. Actually one of the things on my to-do list this weekend.

bluebastion

Just a tad bit overdue for a water change. (it has been 2 weeks,.. if I remember correctly)...

I wasn't planning on taking pictures, then thought that some of you might be interested in SPS sliming from my Blue Tort. (I know that sounds crazy, but only in an aquarium forum...) If you want a better view of the pictures, right click on it, and click on "View Image." This will allow you to view the picture in FULL RESOLUTION.

My Blue Tort, as some of you may know, is my tallest SPS colony in my tank, so when I do water changes, almost half of it sticks out of the water. Why is this interesting? Because in some places in the wild reef, this sort of thing happens when the tide changes. SPS corals have the ability to "slime" themselves to protect their bodies from dehydration when exposed to the open air and the sun's naked rays.

Here's an FTS with about 10-15% of my water already siphoned.

FTS6282008Waterchange.jpg

A couple top down shots. The water level still the same as the FTS above.

Top1.jpg

Top2.jpg

After, siphoning and draining. I add new, properly mixed salt water to replenish the tank. The slime coat on the tort starts to float off the coral as the water level rises.

above.jpg

below.jpg

oozesurface.jpg

Bright shot of coral slime once the water level is back where it should be. Note: Pumps have not turned back on yet.

stringybright.jpg

And another...

StringyDepth.jpg

And a shot of the Tort amidst its other inhabitants.

Verticalshot.jpg

When the pumps come back on, the stringy slime gets blasted off the Tort's surface. The slime eventually is pulverized and assimilated and dilutes in the water, and the the nutrients are eventually exported by the protein skimmer.

Yes, I do need to schedule another frag session with my Tort.

As always, I am amazed by the beauty of this tank.

IMHO, it is one of the best ones on here.

If only my tank had stabilized enough for a Blue Tort Frag!

Archived