Innovative Marine Aquariums

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

I was just at PTF. Didn't see any blue-spotted jawfish but they do have one pearly. Also, the usual assortment of overpriced but nice acans, blastos, etc...

I COULD have had my Pearly! :(

Well the Blue Spotted I saw at Strictly Fish on saturday was still there today when I called in to hold it. The guy didn't have my number to call me back when he realized after hanging up with me, that it was dead! :( It was seriously the most vibrant looking blue spotted i've ever seen! Anyways the red headed jawfish they also had was sold, but they DID have a Dusky Jawfish in stock, so I scopped that little guy up! B)

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I COULD have had my Pearly! :(

Well the Blue Spotted I saw at Strictly Fish on saturday was still there today when I called in to hold it. The guy didn't have my number to call me back when he realized after hanging up with me, that it was dead! :( It was seriously the most vibrant looking blue spotted i've ever seen! Anyways the red headed jawfish they also had was sold, but they DID have a Dusky Jawfish in stock, so I scopped that little guy up! B)

I really want the BLue spotted, the red head would be my second choice. If I can't find one now, I will just have to wait. Eveyone I have called or emailed has said to wait until April, May, or June. Seems the market is better for them during that period. If I find one, great, I'll snach it up.

as much as i love ptf, i wouldn't buy fish from there. lots of DOAs, and dead in 24-48 hour fish. :\

The live rock just looks dead, and its unlit so I never thought to buy it.

as much as i love ptf, i wouldn't buy fish from there. lots of DOAs, and dead in 24-48 hour fish. :\

The live rock just looks dead, and its unlit so I never thought to buy it.

Fish I can vouch for, but John I'm telling you the L/R there is like a mine of GOLD!

I'm just glad I didn't pick up the Blue Spotted when I saw it on saturday, who knows if it would have died on me today like it did them. :( They said it was feasting on bloodworms just last night, they didn't even know it was dead till they went to look to hold it for me... :mellow:

Fuseman, the Pearly at PTF (I haven't seen it yet) might be well worth a try. I wish I had known about it sooner!

There are alot of Pearly's around, I want something that is a liitle more rare for my 24AP. The bioload is so little that every fish I put into needs to count. I like the pearly, but they just don't have the punch the blue spotted have. I email Jeff's and he said to check back in a month or so. until then, I guess I can start on the corals.

Are any of you guys close enough to you lfs owners that they would actually look to special order something for you? Most places seem very adverse to livestock special orders even if you agree to pay upfront. I want to pick up a gumdrop goby but don't see the reason to mail order since all the livestock flys into LAX first anyways.

Are any of you guys close enough to you lfs owners that they would actually look to special order something for you? Most places seem very adverse to livestock special orders even if you agree to pay upfront. I want to pick up a gumdrop goby but don't see the reason to mail order since all the livestock flys into LAX first anyways.

For me i had a Pearly on order from Petco in Pasadena (very extensive saltwater selection compared to other Petcos in the area) and they said they could order one and it would only take about a week. 3 weeks later, no phone call yet so I gave up on them. I also think it's because it appears their fish expert there quit or left or something. He was very good and basically was self employeed from what he told me maintaining about 60 tanks a WEEK for clients.

I had been in contact with Jeff's for the past 2-3 weeks, and they haven't had any Pearlys (or jawfish period) in for a few weeks now, and weren't sure when they might get more in. I figured if they didn't have any, probably no one in the area would... Tong's certainly didn't, and PTF DID have a Blue Spot in about a week and a half ago that finally sold, great price at $70 but it didn't look like it would even survive the e mile drive home. The one I saw at Strictly Fish was swimming all around, spitting sand around and was extremely active compared to others I've seen and especially for being captive in a half gallon holding tank inside a bigger tank. It definitely wasn't shy, not like the Dusky I got.

I don't have any specific hook ups, but there are a few friendly LFS owners out there that I'm sure would have no problem tracking one down for you provided you put down a deposit. A couple that come to mind are Mike with Pacific Reef and Anthony at Passion of the Sea.

BTW, Neptune's Reef in Torrance had one (I assume by "gumdrop goby" you're talking about Caracanthus madagascariensis) for quite a while. Worth a call to see it's still there.

The guys at The Aquarium on Sepulveda and Jefferson (about two blocks up from Jefferon actually on the West Side of the st.) will look for whatever you want during their buying trips.

I don't have any specific hook ups, but there are a few friendly LFS owners out there that I'm sure would have no problem tracking one down for you provided you put down a deposit. A couple that come to mind are Mike with Pacific Reef and Anthony at Passion of the Sea.

BTW, Neptune's Reef in Torrance had one (I assume by "gumdrop goby" you're talking about Caracanthus madagascariensis) for quite a while. Worth a call to see it's still there.

I was there yesterday and thier gumdrop goby was still there. It was the only fish i really liked yesterday.

I was there yesterday and thier gumdrop goby was still there. It was the only fish i really liked yesterday.

Yeah, me too but I still can't get past what a$$es the owners are to actually buy something from 'em.

Yeah, me too but I still can't get past what a$$es the owners are to actually buy something from 'em.

really, he treats me pretty good. interesting that they are not nice to you.

I actually did ask one to look for me, and he said he would call me when he found one. I just left a number to contact me. Same thing with a few other emails like the one I got from Jeff telling me they would contact me if they could find one. I went on a list. I doubt there are many LFS's that would go out of there way, but I can hope.

Perfect, that's the one. I'll give them a call this weekend. I agree the owners are stand offish. I might have to cave in if they have it at a decent price and it is in great shape.

Thanks for looking out.

Now, anyone seen a pom pom crab?

I saw a couple at Vivid Aquariums a little bit ago.

Thanks for the help, I'll give those places a call.

Next challenge, zebra urchin crab. Those look bad azz.

Thanks for the help, I'll give those places a call.

Next challenge, zebra urchin crab. Those look bad azz.

Those are sweet! I need one too. I found a couple of spots online that have if you do mail order.

Thats how I got my Pom Pom and love him.

Went to the Torrance Pacific reef and they had gumdrop gobies, but not the pink one, just the white w/ black dots. Very nice store with a great selection. They had peppermint shrimp anenome crabs for $7. Go there on Monday and Friday nights, that's when they get their SW shipments. Plus it's a good oppurtunity to get some good Japanese food in Torrance.

Saw pom pom crabs (5 of them) at Pacific Reef in Fountain Valley today for $10 each. Gonna pick up one next time I'm down there and timing works.

Thought I'd share the wealth since those things are just dope.

Pom Pom's for $10. That's a good deal. I need to drive around more. I don't come out of the same LFS's around my place. I need to visit alot of these stores mentioned here. They are not even that far.

I was at Tongs in the ghetto today. What a mess. What a nightmare that was. I think that was the last day I ever go to that store. There was no coral at all. The only coral they had was the coral from the display tank, which is not for sale. All the lights were out. There was at least 1 dead fish in every compartment. It was awful. For some reason they had a bunch of pitbulls there today for sale.

Archived