SaltCritters.com

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

I was at Tongs in the ghetto today. What a mess. What a nightmare that was. I think that was the last day I ever go to that store. There was no coral at all. The only coral they had was the coral from the display tank, which is not for sale. All the lights were out. There was at least 1 dead fish in every compartment. It was awful. For some reason they had a bunch of pitbulls there today for sale.

yeah I went two weeks ago it has gone down hill.

they always have puppies forsale when I went they had 2 APBT

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah I went two weeks ago it has gone down hill.

they always have puppies forsale when I went they had 2 APBT

Really? That's the first time I ever see dogs there. It's just that for some it makes it seem really ghetto now, lol. Not sure if it's the pitbulls or the actual store, lol. It's too bad because there were times when they had pretty good stuff there. Especially in their little $5 to $10 frag tank.

Yeah, why doesn't LA seem to have a decent lfs? The closest thing I can think of is The Aquarium off Sepulveda. Weak I say, weak. Hate having to drive 20 miles or more to get to a decent lfs, cause that ain't "local".

I live in Whittier, CA and here is where I go:

Happy Fish

Brea, CA

pros:Owner is super friendly and honest. :D Has a awsome 800 gallon reef tank w/180 sump. Great prices on livestock and equipment.

cons:not a big selection of livestock

Tong's Tropical fish

Whittier, CA

pros: large selection of livestock, especially corals. large store.

cons:Pricey. :bling: Big time sales pressure. They will not be straight up with you about compatability, so they can make the sale.

Fish Collection

Placentia, CA

pros: best prices around for livestock. Large selection of livestock

cons: Far. Sometimes the diplay tank lights are off. (trying to save on the light bill, I guess)

Strictly Fish

Long Beach, CA

pros: very organized, large selection of livestock (especially rare items)

cons: Far, littly pricey

I can't think of any others off the top of my head. :unsure:

-

If you are willing to travel there is Atlantic Tropical Aquarium in Artesia. Not the greatest store, actually really ghetto but the sell VERY CHEAP corals! Also there fish are really cheap as well. Like wholesale price on most of them. Would recommend you quarantine them for about a week if you dont do that already cause I dont really trust there fish to much. Just bought 2 fire fish and a royal gramma for like 25 bucks and they seem to be doing great. Eating great and everything. Also if you want to check out how cheap they sell there stuff check out www.atafish.com

I'm still wondering about Tropical Reef Oasis in Alhambra, lol! I've heard from people that it might possibly at the time be by apointment only, which kinda sucks.

My fav shops I've been to thus far is:

Tongs Fountain valley and Whittier

Strictly Fish (where I got my Dusky Jawfish from)

Jeff's Tropical Fish in Orange (VERY nice and organized store)

and of course PTF (Pasadena Tropical Fish) which is my main LFS since it's close to me.

My closest LFS however is Jan's Tropical Fish on Rosemead off of Broadway in San Gabriel in a little strip-mall place. it's a decent store, with not bad prices though nothing out of the ordinary that I've ever seen in stock.

Phixion those are the LFS i go to ( jan's tropical fish and pasadena tropical fist). those are some nice store but i would like ot go out more from this area to check out more stuff.

Phixion those are the LFS i go to ( jan's tropical fish and pasadena tropical fist). those are some nice store but i would like ot go out more from this area to check out more stuff.

So you're near me it sounds like. Yeah Jan's isn't too bad, but PTF is actually pretty nice, and A LOT nicer than it used to be a year ago or even several months ago, though in the past couple weeks their supply of stuff has seemed low, at least as far as zoas go it seems. But they are still good, horrible dry goods prices though, lol! Great prices on tanks and food stuff however, especially their frozen foods.

For us unfortunately we have to travel down the 605 or to Torrance/Gardena for nice quality LFS's.

Really? That's the first time I ever see dogs there. It's just that for some it makes it seem really ghetto now, lol. Not sure if it's the pitbulls or the actual store, lol. It's too bad because there were times when they had pretty good stuff there. Especially in their little $5 to $10 frag tank.

I think they have new owners or something. the first Time I went ( when this thread started ) they had lab/golden mixes.

yeah they had coral when I went they have nothing really now.

SanDiego_NanoReef
Hello Gang,

I would like to know where are some good LFS in my area

I used to live in lakewood ( near LB,Cerritos, Norwalk,) so I don't mind going south for a good store.

But I wanted to know if there are any good store up where I am at now.

I been to 3 stores in my area like 2 years ago. One was Horrible another was ok and one was very awsome but the area the shop is base in is expensive area so his price where steap.

Check out: http://www.seacrop.com

They are North of LA and have good deals on frags and inverts!

There is a real nice store in San Diego but I can't recall the name. There was a reefer here by the name of Uchiha who used to mention it before. They have a website but I can't remember it either. Hmmm...Im not much help huh, lol. I will try to find out the name.

SanDiego_NanoReef
There is a real nice store in San Diego but I can't recall the name. There was a reefer here by the name of Uchiha who used to mention it before. They have a website but I can't remember it either. Hmmm...Im not much help huh, lol. I will try to find out the name.

http://www.brilliantreef.com/

I purchased my LR, crabs, snails, chaeto, coral frag, and a clown from there. AWESOME STORE!

does anyone buy premixed (ocean?) water from aquatic outlet? i'm curious to know if it's premixed. if so, what brand of salt? if not, is it natural ocean water from the catalina company?

does anyone buy premixed (ocean?) water from aquatic outlet? i'm curious to know if it's premixed. if so, what brand of salt? if not, is it natural ocean water from the catalina company?

I have seen the huge holding tank they have for it. I can't answer you question about the type of water it is but I did see a flier that you can buy 60 gallons of salt water for like 17 bucks and they call it "real ocean water" which would lead me to belive it's Catalina Salt Water.

Have you been there before?

Most places that have NSW use Catalina Seawater brand. And many places around I've been to seen to use I/O as their salt of choice. Strictly Fish adds in Kent Marine Coral-Vite into their batches of NSW as well as premixed synthetic water. Tongs in Whittier uses I/O salt for their premix (perhaps it's like that at ALl their stores?) and PetCo also exclusively uses I/O brand salt for their premixed salt water. I can't remember what salt Strictly Fish uses for premix, but i want to say it's Red Sea... I'm probably wrong though, I just remember the Coral-Vite part, lol!

yeah, I've been to aquatic outlet before. I actually go there quite often and have already begun using their water. I'm asking cause when I started using their water, they told me it's natural salt water. But, today I went to The Aquarium and one of the guys there use to work at AO. He said AO premixes their water.

So basically, I'm questioning whether the water from AO is real ocean water from the Catalina company.

In any case, I emailed the Catalina company directly and asked if AO is an authorized dealer. I figure I should just find out from the source. This only occured to me like...an hour ago...haha.

Thanks for the responses guys!

I was at Jeff's exotics a few weeks ago with Asin, he was kind enough to give me a ride so i decided to get some water there.

i sometimes run out of drinking water so i took a sip of the ro/di water and YUCK!!!! tasted like Calcium Flouride!!!!!! you know the sticky feeling you get in your teeth????

was like okay thats not going in my tank, and dumped the whole 5 gallons.

So you think their Scripps saltwater will be okay, but I looked into the container and i see brown stuff floating on the bottom here and there....dumped that crap as well...

they were having a good deal on liquidlife plankton/coral food though, so i picked one up.

Global Aquatics

We've got corals but we can order other stuff for you. Our storefront is in Oceanside, but I live in LA and our shipments come through US Customs in LA. Contact us by email or call us if you're interested.

I've used Jeff's Exotic Fish's salt water for over 3 years, never had any issues with their water. Salt or RO/DI. I know EZ didn't like it, but like I said, I've never had any issues with it.

Archived