SaltCritters.com

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

I just got back from Blue Zoo Aquatics. They are an online distrubutor only but they do have will call for pick up. I spoke with John, one of the owners, very knowledgable, and I also spoke with Luis and one other guy, didn't get his name. They are all very friendly and answered many questions I had. I will do more business with them, it's a drive for me, but I've driven to FV Tong's from Westwood to check them out after reading this thread, Carson is nothing. Prices are cheap for Drygoods, Better than any LFS I have gone to. Without paying for shipping, it seems to work out for me.

I scored myself a Remora Nano Skimmer, I'm going to install it this weekend, and as I was leaving I was asking them about my wish list item I sent them, I want a Blue Spotted Jawfish. THEY HAD TWO!!!!!, and the price was pretty good too. Lower than most of the internet sites, I have only heard rumors about lower prices at other LFS's. I of course snapped one up. They had just arrived.

Blue's in the tank now, and has already made a home, too bad it's in the back of the tank where I can't see him. Hopefully he'll move to the front in a couple of days. I turned off the lights to let him mellow out. It's been a long day for BLUE.

I'm stoked!

Now it's off the Reefhotspot tomorrow, to pick up the Orange and Black sun coral they are holding for me. It's a great peice, both types on one rock. $45 bucks, the rock they are attached to is worth $45 bucks. I am just having a lucky week this week. I have blown my Saltwater tank budget for the month. It's a good thing October is just a few days away.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Most places that have NSW use Catalina Seawater brand. And many places around I've been to seen to use I/O as their salt of choice. Strictly Fish adds in Kent Marine Coral-Vite into their batches of NSW as well as premixed synthetic water. Tongs in Whittier uses I/O salt for their premix (perhaps it's like that at ALl their stores?) and PetCo also exclusively uses I/O brand salt for their premixed salt water. I can't remember what salt Strictly Fish uses for premix, but i want to say it's Red Sea... I'm probably wrong though, I just remember the Coral-Vite part, lol!

I just realized you said Strictly Fish adds premixed synthetic water to their batches of NSW. So that means their water is like...50% NSW and 50% synthetic mix?

Do most or all lfs who advertise selling NSW do this? Doesn't seem to be 100% natural anymore.

very interesting.

for those of you looking for blue spotted jawfishes, they have 9, yes i said NINE at makinwaves over @ Van Nuys. sale at $99. one of them has an injured lip.

for those of you looking for blue spotted jawfishes, they have 9, yes i said NINE at makinwaves over @ Van Nuys. sale at $99. one of them has an injured lip.

That's what I paid for mine yesterday. They said they are expecting a dozen in the next week or two.

I was just at Rare Fish in W. Covina and I have to say that they have some real real nice stuff right now. They are a bit pricy but the coral is real nice and healthy. Not much fish though. I bought a nice chunky hammer for $45. They had some insane, killer looking acan but a bit too rich for my blood. I think he wanted $100 per polyp :huh::o:scarry::bling:

I went to Pacific Reef in Torrance on Saturday. Nice place. Picked up some nice $5 & $10 frags. I will definitely be going back, especially since I've got a fish on order. :D

Baby tomato clown. He had baby true percs, really small, maybe ¾ inch long. I told the owner that I wanted a baby tomato that size. He said he could get me one. Sweet! He's gonna go in the 10 gallon contest tank. :)

I just realized you said Strictly Fish adds premixed synthetic water to their batches of NSW. So that means their water is like...50% NSW and 50% synthetic mix?

Do most or all lfs who advertise selling NSW do this? Doesn't seem to be 100% natural anymore.

very interesting.

I meant that to say they add the Coral-Vite to BOTH the premixed water and also to the NSW. ;) They don't add synthectic saltwater to the NSW, that would defeat the purpose, lol! My bad for the confusion... :ninja:

If only I knew like a month ago when I got my Dusky Jaw... :( Ah well, I love my fish. PTF usually sells Blue Spots for $70 when they have them. WAy dirt cheap price for them considering I've seen them up to $130 at some shops!!

So where's a good place to get good healthy and quality Percs from?

How about places in/near the San Gabriel Valley?? -_- I could go to Torrance for one, but I'm off work at 5:15pm everyday, I was hoping to get it BEFORE the weekend, and the 605 is a CRAPPY drive between 5 and 7, lol! :P

Adin, they were under $20, can't remember the exact price, maybe $17.99, something like that. There's no way I would go to Torrance on a weekday, that's just suicide.

There's no way I would go to Torrance on a weekday, that's just suicide.

Considering the freeways I'd have to take, I completely agree with that! :lol:

When I was in Rare Fish on Sunday they had this massive massive Frogspawn inside the display tank that was for sale. It must have been the size of a basketball, no joke. The employee said that there 15 heads on it. For some reason it looked huge. He wanted $150 for it. What do you guys think of that?

I got two cool colored zoo frag at Pacific Reef Torrance today. All the zoos has a red rim with a yellow center. There was about 20 of them on the frag. Got it for $20 each. They made a new section with sps frags, zoo frags, and clams ( The one display tank with the two MH lights) This place has the most frags that ever went to.

I also went over to play ping pong next door. It is pretty cool. They have this machine robot that shoots balls at you so you would not need another player. I never saw a ping pong store before until now.

While I'm a big fan of Mike's and Pacific Reef's, I wouldn't make the trek down to Torrance just quite yet. His store is getting there but still doesn't have the variety of say a PTF. I'd say keep it on your radar and check back at the end of the year once the systems are more mature and his SPS/Exotic/Frag vision is complete.

And while I applaud the spirit of these posts, with patience and a good relationship with the owners, you really only need to go to 3 or so places consistently to find what you need. My choices are Reefhotspot, Jeff's, and either PTF/Pacific Reef/Medusa's (only if I'm in the immediate neighborhood and have time to kill). I've been to practically all of the LFS mentioned in this thread and while some are great for the occasional lucky score, you might as well as save some gas/hassle and stick with the better shops.

I got my blue jawfish yesterday at Pacific Reef Torrance. Mike called me that he got it in. There was 8 of them left. He also got about 80 or more crocea clams that day for $19.99 to $29.99. Pick out two nice ones for myself.

I just got back from Pacific Reef in Torrance he he expanded his frag tanks. He has more variety and are priced from 5-20 dollars and has three tanks full, not to mention clams at 20 bucks too. I need more light for those.

Archived