Cultivated Reef

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

I been pretty much to all of those LFS.

I would highly suggest Vivid in Canoga Park. Just take the 5 or the 405 to the 101...and get off of Canoga Ave. It might be a good 30 min drive from DownTown. (By far is the best place)

Pasadena store is okay...however he tends to miss label a lot of his coral...and some of the prices like the Acans are just way over priced. However, he does get some cool azz stuff in. (Right now they have some Blue Ridge Live Rock...which is a large coral that is all dried up. These rocks are pimp.)

I also like this little joint off of Ventura Blvd. I think it might be in the Studio City area. But, they have a good selection on Tonga and some nice coral.

However, hands down...Vivid is going to have the largest and best selection. There really is no place around here that has came close. (Btw...they have some Scolymia that they just fragged and it is cheap. Sure beats buying a whole piece for $250) That was a deal I could not pass up.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another vote for VIVID!

You can check there stuff out online VIVID and see what they got and make a list. They have a really great selection of small frags including every zoa color you can imagine. It is also as spotless as a medical lab.

Another good one for small frags is The Aquarium in Culver City on Sepulveda The Aquarium The staff is very friendly and they have a section of small $10 frags. The Aquarium also has hard-to-find small snails/crabs/shrimps now and then. They also have some of the best live rock in town...cured and under lighting and often covered in zoos or star polyps.

Both places have those huge shallow trays/tubs where you can look straight down on the corals and everything is sectioned by price which makes it very easy to budget.

....and skip APEX and AQUATIC OUTLET. Those places really need to clean up their act. I don't know who they sell to to stay in business. AQUATIC OUTLET does seem to have the largest selection of brown coral in the area......so if you need brown, go there :mellow:

• 5 months later...

I'm thinking of ordering some fish from OC aquatic. Anyone have some good feedback from them?

They are giving me 30% off if i order fish. The fish isn't making it into their tank, stays in the bag for me. I know its a bad idea, but should i still do it? Any tips on making the fish have a high chance of survival by myself? The person i talked to on the phone sounds really seemed helpful and said he'll call me when he goes to pick his fish this sunday and tell me price and if the fish looks healthy enough for him to buy for me. Soo... any help on all these questions would be MUCH APPRECIATED. thanks guys

he said 30-40 bucks for Bluespot jawfish. And if the bluespot is that cheap, i wonder how cheap the rest of the fish will be. Thinking of getting a pink streaked wrasse, red mandarin, and yasha goby w/ shrimp.(this is if his wholesale supplier has them all) ill probably split it up so i buy them in 2 weeks, so half of them this week and the other half next week. ill set up a simple quarantine tank. Anything else you guys suggest? Im willing to buy some medication because the fish is cheap and so i can afford medication.

Beware of cheap fish! In this hobby, I've found that you really get what you pay for, and in my opinion, it's better to get strong healthy livestock than to deal with problems and have to pay for medication, or worse, introduce something into your tank you will regret later.

Do your research, have patience, and get the LFS to feed the fish and show you that it is healthy. If they are unwilling to do that, then you should be just as unwilling to buy.

I live right near LAX airport and I usually go to Jim's Exotic Fish in El Segundo @ 630 North Sepulveda Boulevard

El Segundo, CA 90245-3470 (310) 322-3474 and Aquatic Outlet in Inglewood @ 427 S. Hindry Ave.

Inglewood CA, 90301 (310) 641-4664. The crew at Jim's has small yet nice selection but the family that owns the store are always very helpful and very nice. Aquatic Outlet however has so so service but has a bunch of beautiful display tanks and has a 6,000 gallon shark tank. Yeah... 6,000 gallons! Anyhow... I know that this is a very old post but there are my LFS go to shops.

Now maybe you can help me out with pointing me towards a really good korean bbq restaurant other than Dong Il Jang's (which I love by the way)!!

Archived