Pod Your Reef

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if ur giving the crab away i'll take him :D

It's actually an anenome shrimp. I'll trade ya :P . Also have a white hairy crab I want to toss if anybody has a mantis tank. That is, when I can catch the sucka.

I went to check out Making Waves today. The store is relatively small for a wherehouse type store but they also have a large selection of freshwater fish as well. I talked with the owner Jim who was quite knowledgeable and very nice to deal with. The store is still being set up so half the tanks are empty but they what stock they had, they had pretty nice stuff. The prices are very good IMO. They sell fire shrimp for 14.99. Most places I frequent sell them for 25 and up. Even Jeffs, who had the cheapest I had found until now sold them for 20. They also have a large dry good selection although I admit that I didnt see much of it first hand since they have the top floor stacked with dry good stuff. I think right now, this store is quite good, but once things are fully stocked, I'm coming back for sure as the prices on MOST items are cheaper than anywhere else I've been to.

No one has mentioned Reef Collection. I used to go there all the time when they were located off of Center but now they are located on Bristol. Here is their website www.reefcollection.com

Really? :blink: Looked like a nice place.

I went there a couple of months back. They are building a store front.

VERY knowledable FME and they took me on a tour. Prices were pretty good and the owner was a very cool guy. Treated me like I was someone special.

i will order from them again, I have not checked on them since they were building it out.

Anyone know a LFS that carries phyto, zoo plankton or live tigger pods? Just got a maxima clam, some lps and looking to feed these guys.

Has anybody been to Aquatic outlet in Inglewood?

Small flower pot for 20 bucks and have a good pre-sale going on right now, really cheep.

Huge 20,000 Square foot warehouse.

http://www.aquaticoutlet.com/

I think we would need a membership. I will go this weekend unless someone has some feed back sooner.

Anyone know a LFS that carries phyto, zoo plankton or live tigger pods? Just got a maxima clam, some lps and looking to feed these guys.

I know that PTF does (Pasadena Tropical Fish) but it's pricey there, at least compared to Marine Depot. I'd say your best bet is ordering from Marine Depot and picking it up via will-call to avoid the mandatory $24 frozen food box charge.

I know that PTF does (Pasadena Tropical Fish) but it's pricey there, at least compared to Marine Depot. I'd say your best bet is ordering from Marine Depot and picking it up via will-call to avoid the mandatory $24 frozen food box charge.

Thanks for the heads up. MD only has will call M-F, so hard to do unless I take time off work. Might have to convince my college friends to do a pick up for me.

try south bay aquarium.

2021 Redondo Beach Blvd. Gardena 90247

Grace is a nice Korean lady and will listen to most of your requests. she has phyto i know but not sure on the pods and zoos. if you want zoos use kent's zoomax. potent stuff.

Jeff will also get whatever u need if you give him a call. some people call him a jerk, but i say he's a cool guy, he's helped me out in numerous occassions.

edit: reefhotspot has a lot of big clams

try south bay aquarium.

2021 Redondo Beach Blvd. Gardena 90247

Grace is a nice Korean lady and will listen to most of your requests. she has phyto i know but not sure on the pods and zoos. if you want zoos use kent's zoomax. potent stuff.

Jeff will also get whatever u need if you give him a call. some people call him a jerk, but i say he's a cool guy, he's helped me out in numerous occassions.

edit: reefhotspot has a lot of big clams

Thanks for the referals. Damn LA's lack of decent LFS. Everything seems to be 20 miles away.

Make sure to dip anything from ReefHotSpot. Saw a bunch of sundial snails the last time I was there.

Thanks for the heads up. MD only has will call M-F, so hard to do unless I take time off work. Might have to convince my college friends to do a pick up for me.

No prob. Sometimes the higher price is worth avoiding wait or shipping charges... You're still ahead though, shipped would be almost $40 just for ONE 30ml bottle. You can get a 2-pack at PTF for I think $44 is what I was told if I remember right. It's all kept in the fridge in the middle of the store behind where the invert tanks are.

Yup, Mike over at Pacific Reef is cool. Very helpful and will work on prices to make you happy.

Stopped my favorite store, Reefhotspot, this afternoon and they've got some nice stuff in. Picked up a two-headed, neon green scoly and had my eye on a couple of other beautiful coral. If you are a SPS fan, definitely stop by.

I stopped by Reefhotspot yesterday as well. I am trying to set up my tank and he's my closest LFS. I wish he had more Dry goods as well. He's got a great selection.

I just went to another store on Pico and Bundy, the business card said the name was Medusa LA. Anyone been there. He doesnt have a huge coral selection but there were some nice peoces in a round lagoon type tank. He does have some very interesting fish. I also think he had 5 nano's set up. He's even got a tank with jellyfish. Interesting.

Has anybody been to Aquatic outlet in Inglewood?

Small flower pot for 20 bucks and have a good pre-sale going on right now, really cheep.

Huge 20,000 Square foot warehouse.

http://www.aquaticoutlet.com/

I think we would need a membership. I will go this weekend unless someone has some feed back sooner.

I haven't bought anything there but they seem pricey to me. I also saw quite a few dead fish the last time I was there, but other than that, it seems to be OK.

By the way, it's not really 20K square foot. maybe the building is, but they are acutally using about half of it.

Does anyone have a good place to for live rock? I am looking for a place that has some nice stuff for my two AP24's I will finally set up this weekend, as long as none of the parts I ordered get lost in the mail. Doesn't need to be cured. I will cycle the tank with it.

ezcompany you have some great looking rock. Where did you get yours from?

With all the LIVE ROCK coming to LA first and then off to other parts of the US, I would think we would get the best peices and the best prices.

I am on the Westside, 10 and the 405.

Thanks!

anyone can recommend a good sps store?

I went to tongs FV and I found the prices reasonable but was wondering for other places...

anyone can recommend a good sps store?

I went to tongs FV and I found the prices reasonable but was wondering for other places...

Every LFS that I have gone to I find that SPS coral doesn't really drop. Their prices are about the same every where. But there are LFS that have better looking SPS than others.

oh sh**

serious? sundials eat what, zoas right????

yep, sundials are zoa eaters.

I am on the Westside, 10 and the 405.

Thanks!

Try Apex and The Aquarium. They're both on Sepulveda south of the 10 and have decent dry goods. For a better dry good selection you have to make a drive. What are you looking for?

Every LFS that I have gone to I find that SPS coral doesn't really drop. Their prices are about the same every where. But there are LFS that have better looking SPS than others.

That seems to be what i'm finding. I guess mini colonies and frags from tongs. Of course there is always local reefers. :D

That seems to be what i'm finding. I guess mini colonies and frags from tongs. Of course there is always local reefers. :D

That's the best option. Local reefers!

Try Apex and The Aquarium. They're both on Sepulveda south of the 10 and have decent dry goods. For a better dry good selection you have to make a drive. What are you looking for?

I have been to both. I wasn't very impressed with Apex. The Aquarium seems like a great LFS. I have been in there a few times and spoke to two or three different people, all were very friendly.

I am looking for Live Rock. Something nice, Ultra Fiji, or something that has good coraline growth, and other things on the rock.

I dont' have a problem driving. I went to the Tong's in Fountain Valley today. I have been working in Newport Beach and driving back and forth all week. I also have a project going in Redondo Beach as well. I was planing on going to two or three places this weekend that are pretty far out of the way. It just seems that every LFS I go to has a very limited selction of LR. I don't want to pay a fortune for shipping, especially if I can get it here locally. I looked at Tong's and they didn't have what I am looking for.

I am trying to get my 2 tanks set up this Saturday. Any help would be great.

Archived