Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

sweet. this thread is awesome (for those of us in LA anyways). we're sending people out to scout fish stores. awesome. at this rate, we have to find at least 1 really good store

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ive been to the reef hot spot and they ave some nice stuff but their prices were a tad high...pretty nice place though but I still like coral oasis the best..

if the one on western is close to the 10 i think i've been there, and its not worth going to. they have absolutely nothing. if its nearby you you can confirm it for us roxy.

Actually the one on Western is north of Wilshire and pretty close to the Carl Juniors. The guy was really nice and told me to come back in two weeks. He had all new salt water tanks set up towards the back. His freshwater stuff needs alot of help tho...me and adin went to reef hot spot and agree their initial prices were a bit high but the owner is really nice and dropped the price on some pink zoa's, REALLY nice fraq with about 70 polyps. He said they were expanding and would be adding more stuff. Reef hot spot is also the nearest warehouse style fish store near K-town as far as I know :)

if the one on western is close to the 10 i think i've been there, and its not worth going to. they have absolutely nothing. if its nearby you you can confirm it for us roxy.
ReefApprentice

Here is my list of LFS's that I have visited:

Neptunes Reef-

Good None

Bad Prices ultra high, dying fish, no corals, owners an ahole, lying employees. (Told me an anemone was super easy, even under 3wattspergallon.)

Aloha Tropical Fish-

Good Cheap fish sometimes

Bad Hardly any corals, unknowledgable employees, prices are high.

Jeff's Exotic Fish-

Good Good prices, except for shrooms. Look for good pieces and you can get them for cheap sometimes. Somewhat knowledgable employees, SUPER good dry good prices.

Bad No aquaculture, somewhat transhippers.

Aquatic Fantasy-

Good Really nice coral and fish selection.

Bad Employees unhelpful, prices astronomically high.

Tongs (in FV)-

Good Amazing corals, fish selection was superb, employees helpful, aquaculture tank.

Bad Prices a little high, yet they are super rare pieces.

Pacific Reef (Carson)-

Good Some nice corals and pretty good prices on fish and coral. Nice owner.

Bad High prices on some dry goods. Unhelpful employees. (One was commensing selling pot to someone on the phone)

Aquatic Wharehouse (San diego)-

Good Amazing coral and fish selection. Good prices, and some really intersting pieces.

Bad None?

That's it.

Alex

So yesterday, I went to Reef Oasis at 7pm and they were still locked up. I guess they're remodeling or something but I wish they'd put a sign up letting us know when they're going to be back in business or post it on their website at least. :(

What did you think though looking through the windows Paul? Looks like a top notch shop, huh? That tank all the way in the back looks CRAZY huge! I'm thinking they are under contruction since most of their website isn't complete either... :( ugh, this shop is close to me too, lol! Another one near me with some nice tanks is Jan's Tropical Fish on Broadway and Rosemead in the shopping area back behind Pep Boys and where Sizzler is at. I've been there a few times so far, decent prices on stuff. Not the biggest shop, but they will be good in a pinch one day I'm sure...

Pacific Reef (Carson)-

Bad High prices on some dry goods. Unhelpful employees. (One was commensing selling pot to someone on the phone)

:huh: DAMN.

What did you think though looking through the windows Paul? Looks like a top notch shop, huh? That tank all the way in the back looks CRAZY huge! I'm thinking they are under contruction since most of their website isn't complete either... :( ugh, this shop is close to me too, lol! Another one near me with some nice tanks is Jan's Tropical Fish on Broadway and Rosemead in the shopping area back behind Pep Boys and where Sizzler is at. I've been there a few times so far, decent prices on stuff. Not the biggest shop, but they will be good in a pinch one day I'm sure...

I couldnt really tell what was where. At most, I saw a few tanks but you're right. they were pretty big. I think with decent upkeep and depending on livestock, this store could really be a big hit but we'll have to see.

Honestly, seeing, hearing and reading about all these LFS makes me want to open up my own and just blow all these out of the water (no pun intended... or is it? OH!)

Paul

I can see it now... "Nano-Reef One-Stop-Shop" :P Buy in bulk from MD and/or DFS, then resell slightly better than LFSs with BETTER than normal customer service and knowledge. :)

Perhaps I'll give Tropical Reef Oasis a call today to see what's up.

ReefApprentice
:huh: DAMN.

? You think they are better or worse?

Lol nevermind, I no wut u are daming about.

I couldnt really tell what was where. At most, I saw a few tanks but you're right. they were pretty big. I think with decent upkeep and depending on livestock, this store could really be a big hit but we'll have to see.

Honestly, seeing, hearing and reading about all these LFS makes me want to open up my own and just blow all these out of the water (no pun intended... or is it? OH!)

Paul

this is what i was telling my friend seriously if you opened up one in la you would be tres RICHE !!!!!!!

most of them in LA = crap lol

I will check out the 3 spots on saturday I am getting my hair done lol so it will have to wait

its on western going north the one juin21 is talking about

Oh yeah and that lfs in lakewood SUCKS

sea scapes I think its called very disappointed in that .

I guess I might have to stick the lfs I know in LB and Gardena

speaking of gardena there is like 3 lfs one my cousin gets fish from I will check them out too this weekend

Here is my list of LFS's that I have visited:

Neptunes Reef-

Good None

Bad Prices ultra high, dying fish, no corals, owners an ahole, lying employees. (Told me an anemone was super easy, even under 3wattspergallon.)

Aloha Tropical Fish-

Good Cheap fish sometimes

Bad Hardly any corals, unknowledgable employees, prices are high.

Jeff's Exotic Fish-

Good Good prices, except for shrooms. Look for good pieces and you can get them for cheap sometimes. Somewhat knowledgable employees, SUPER good dry good prices.

Bad No aquaculture, somewhat transhippers.

Aquatic Fantasy-

Good Really nice coral and fish selection.

Bad Employees unhelpful, prices astronomically high.

Tongs (in FV)-

Good Amazing corals, fish selection was superb, employees helpful, aquaculture tank.

Bad Prices a little high, yet they are super rare pieces.

Pacific Reef (Carson)-

Aquatic Wharehouse (San diego)-

Good Amazing coral and fish selection. Good prices, and some really intersting pieces.

Bad None?

That's it.

Alex

Your assessments are pretty spot on. Can't believe the Neptune Reef guys have been in business for all this time because the older guy (and now younger guy - son?) have been jerks since day one.

You should add the new Pacific Reef in Torrance to your list. Mike runs it and it should be the top LFS in the South Bay soon, if not already.

new spot http://www.mknwaves.com/index.asp

who wants to check it out ?

I heard he is not settled in all the way but has good prices

since I am sick ( lol sure...) I didnt go to work so I will check out the two I said I would today

i gave them a call and the guy Jim sounds really nice and knowledgable so far

on my way to Pacific Reef

OK just got back.

Pretty large store. Lots of corals. The staff that assisted me was really cool, answered my questions well, and when he did not know he said he was not sure, honesty I like that. His pricing was better on corals than my immediate local LFS, larger too.

Dry good pricing was up and down depending on what I was looking at.

Its hard for me to pick on pricing because the stores have a large amount of overhead and have to absorb death as well.

lots of cool stuff that I have never seen at a LFS.

The best part is FIVE dollar FRAGS!!!! Also, 10-15 dollar frags too.

I heard of 5 dollar frags somewhere in the east coast but never saw it.

I bought two.

Their deliveries are on Mondays and Fridays. I am going back tomorrow.

Its my new store for sure. No real ocean though.

Wow, sounds like an awesome shop!! Where is Pacific Reef at?

Also I just called up Tropical Reef Oasis, and got a voicemail message. :( I Guess they aren't open for business yet... But soon I hope by the looks of things inside there. Maybe they are allowing their tanks to mature before opening...? o_O

Wow, sounds like an awesome shop!! Where is Pacific Reef at?

Also I just called up Tropical Reef Oasis, and got a voicemail message. :( I Guess they aren't open for business yet... But soon I hope by the looks of things inside there. Maybe they are allowing their tanks to mature before opening...? o_O

Pacific Reef

310-257-1122

1513 W. Sepulveda Blvd. #D

Torrance CA

roxy, can you give me the exact address on the western LFS? sound very close to my work.

well I am back .........

the aquarium shop on santa monica was Yo's Aquarium

It was a decent shop all the fish looked happy and healthy, they have a tank filled with red blood shrimp and skunk cleaners.

not to many corals but some good looking fish.

as for the other aquarium on western its called Damien"s Aquarium its a good clean shop but the BIGGEST SADDEST thing was no SW section ;p

Yeah, I called and got the same message. I might go to PTF after work.

haha I might too since it's on my way home from work. I'll be there around 5:30'ish...

Pacific Reef

310-257-1122

1513 W. Sepulveda Blvd. #D

Torrance CA

Got it, thanks!! B)

also all k-town people if you go to a LFS on vermont and san marino ( james M. Wood st ) you should check it out if you want to get something cheap. they have a cream colored frog fish for 20 dollars ( dont quote me this guy on RC said that) I walked down there yesterday and they have a very tiny selection. they had true percs and false, and of course the frogfish

That was me, haha. Been trying to find all the local shops in LA. There's Kyoto on Wilshire just west of Western. Not the nicest store but the owner is totally cool and reminds me of Mr. Miyake from Karate kids. Shops been there for 30 years and he's got some great stories to tell. I usually buy some fish food I never use since I think he is just a great landmark.

There's another store in Canoga a few miles from Vivid on Sherman Oaks. Found it off the AquariumFinder website. There's actually two stores on Sherman Oaks. Its the one on the north side of the street. The one on the southside is a little depressing, not much of anything nice and usually empty. The north side one has pretty good drygoods selection and decent prices with good varitey on livestock. As least for inverts, which was what I was looking at. PomPom crabs, porcelin crabs sponge crabs, crazy looking horse shrimp, etc. Got an anenome shrimp for $8. Actually need to get rid of it if anyone is interested (irritating my RBTA).

Anyway to condense and summarize the info on this thread down into one site or page?

Yup, Mike over at Pacific Reef is cool. Very helpful and will work on prices to make you happy.

Stopped my favorite store, Reefhotspot, this afternoon and they've got some nice stuff in. Picked up a two-headed, neon green scoly and had my eye on a couple of other beautiful coral. If you are a SPS fan, definitely stop by.

Archived