ReefCleaners.org

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

I've been wanting to go to PTF but when I get home im kind of tired and the drive to PTF is a PITA. I usually go on Sunday's and that's when I meet gOtfish for a sale. Lots of traffic on that 110N. I need some more coral since i have this big ol 40g tank now. Well I say big because i was used to my 20.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been wanting to go to PTF but when I get home im kind of tired and the drive to PTF is a PITA. I usually go on Sunday's and that's when I meet gOtfish for a sale. Lots of traffic on that 110N. I need some more coral since i have this big ol 40g tank now. Well I say big because i was used to my 20.

Thankfully they are open till 6pm on sundays! But the 110 is a PITA ANY day of the week. :(

Anyone interested in doing a group buy at sharkysreef? Trying to get to the $200 mark for free shipping. I'm probably in for $60 since I want to get the gumdrop and circus gobies.

I went to ATA Fish, horrible is the word for that place. Tanks looked like I was shopping at Petco. Dirty. Live Rock was a box of rubble. I called and spoke with Eric before I went there and he told me "we are fully stocked with all types fo LR" when I arrived, he had about a 120 gallon tank with hardly any rock. I was very disapointed to say the least. I will never go there again.

you could of did a seacrh on here or RC to see how shady that place is. They always put ads in the recycler and craigslist claiming they have all kinds of stuff, but they dont.

anyone been to JIM'S EXOTIC FISH (not jeff's) on Sepulveda about a mile south of LAX?

This place is really nice last time I went. The workers are really friendly and nice.

I just havent had the time to drive over there.

Anyone interested in doing a group buy at sharkysreef? Trying to get to the $200 mark for free shipping. I'm probably in for $60 since I want to get the gumdrop and circus gobies.

I am let me know what are your plans

anyone been to JIM'S EXOTIC FISH (not jeff's) on Sepulveda about a mile south of LAX?

I go to Jim's all the time. I have known Jim for over 15 years. He is a good guy. Most of the time he has real nice large corals which are to big for my tank. He has a lot of expierence. He is in the middle of setting up his new show tank and moving some stuff around.

I get all of my maintenance items there. His dry good prices are up there not much more than the other LFS's.

I stopped by Jim's the other day and it was nice little LFS. He had some nice coral peices, most were too large for a Nano. He did have some nice fish as well. There were very friendly, and welcomed me when I walked into the store.

The dry goods were acutlly a little higher than I usually see, but they had a large selection, larger than most LFS.

It my tank wasn't still cycling, I would of bought a pair of Black Perc's they had there.

Which Jim's are we talking about?

Jim's on sepulveda just south of LAX.

They don't have a huge selection of fish or corals but it's a nice little LFS. It looks like they do more Freshwater than saltwater.

I just went to Jeff's in Orange this past Saturday and it's one the best and cleanest LFS's I've been to! They had a lot of nice corals in stock including this BLUE tipped hammer that I've never seen before, I've only seen the typical green and pink of course! The prices were good, and they happened to have 20% off fish and corals that day (weekend). I didn't end up picking anything up though, but I did want to blue hammer though don't have any room for it. :(

Also stopped by Tong's F/V and as always they have very nice frag tankis, especially SPS frags though only a couple tanks of SPS. Everything else there is pretty expensive for whole corals. Still a nice LFS no less, that was my 2nd time to Tong's F/V. And I ended my day/trip at Strictly Fish which I like a lot even though it's far from me.

Think they're opening another one in Gardena off Artesia. Real close to the 110 and 91. I remember passing by a sign when I went to the Gardena Marukai.

Are you sure about that? They just opened their Torrance location on Sepulveda and I would be surprised if they opened another so soon and especially so close.

I stopped by Jim's the other day and it was nice little LFS. He had some nice coral peices, most were too large for a Nano. He did have some nice fish as well. There were very friendly, and welcomed me when I walked into the store.

The dry goods were acutlly a little higher than I usually see, but they had a large selection, larger than most LFS.

It my tank wasn't still cycling, I would of bought a pair of Black Perc's they had there.

Jim's is very much a traditional LFS that focuses primarily on fresh with a decent saltwater collection. Won't see the latest and greatest Acan/SPS/whatever is hot right now corals or fish but it's great as a neighborhood LFS. I wouldn't go out of my to visit it like a Tong's, Jeff's, etc...

So, my tanks are ready to put things in them fianally.

Do any of you local guys have a link for a thread that will direct me to getting frags from some of you to start with. :)

Are you sure about that? They just opened their Torrance location on Sepulveda and I would be surprised if they opened another so soon and especially so close.

I'll double check this weekend. Pretty sure, but I get damn lost in that whole area. Need to find a good hawaiian place closer to LA for some mochiko chicken.

Fuse, just come on by and i'll hook you up with some small frags when you're tank is set. Nothing spectacular but something to start you out. Just pass it forward or back.

I'll double check this weekend. Pretty sure, but I get damn lost in that whole area. Need to find a good hawaiian place closer to LA for some mochiko chicken.

Fuse, just come on by and i'll hook you up with some small frags when you're tank is set. Nothing spectacular but something to start you out. Just pass it forward or back.

Thanks, I will pass it on as I go. I'll pm you when I am ready for more info.

Might head down to Ebin's for some frags this weekend and can pick up for LA locals. Just chip in a few bucks for gas or hook me up later. I'll probably make the run Sat or Sunday, so pick up at my place in West LA Sat or Sunday night. My tank is really small so any corals that aren't picked up will be held in a cooler with a powerhead. PM me if anyone is interested.

And I ended my day/trip at Strictly Fish which I like a lot even though it's far from me.

Yes stricly fish is super nice they have some of the nicest people working there!

also matt ygpm

Yes stricly fish is super nice they have some of the nicest people working there!

also matt ygpm

How funny, I happened to read this just as you sent the PM! :P Yeah I like Strictly Fish even though they really don't have any coral for sale, but they have nice heathy fish. I'm picking up a Blue Spotted Jawfish today, eek! So much $$$ for my first fish, but no one else has jawfish in stock. :(

How funny, I happened to read this just as you sent the PM! :P Yeah I like Strictly Fish even though they really don't have any coral for sale, but they have nice heathy fish. I'm picking up a Blue Spotted Jawfish today, eek! So much $$$ for my first fish, but no one else has jawfish in stock. :(

REALLY!!!! That happens to be the one fish I wanted as my first fish as well. Do they have anymore?

I've called and emailed at least half a dozen places without any success. Anyone know any other places locally that may have one.

REALLY!!!! That happens to be the one fish I wanted as my first fish as well. Do they have anymore?

I've called and emailed at least half a dozen places without any success. Anyone know any other places locally that may have one.

I have seen some (generally at least one) each time I go to PTF (Pasadena Tropical Fish) and they have them for $70!! :o

I have seen some (generally at least one) each time I go to PTF (Pasadena Tropical Fish) and they have them for $70!! :o

I guess I'm driving to PTF. I have heard good things about them here on this thread.

How is the quality of fish they carry?

What was your experince like?

How often do you buy fish from them?

I guess I should call them before I go to make sure but from what I have read, it won't be a total waste of a drive to check them out.

I was just at PTF. Didn't see any blue-spotted jawfish but they do have one pearly. Also, the usual assortment of overpriced but nice acans, blastos, etc...

Archived