ReefCleaners.org

LFS in Los Angeles area

roxy25

Funny you should mention that...

Steve and I had a few words on that very subject. Mine being along the lines of ARE YOU %)(*#%Q&)(&* SERIOUS?!?!?! I actually think I scared Natalie! He just shrugged and said that some people liked them and wanted to try them so he bought it. He warned them about it but they didn't care. We both agreed that they were idiots. Next time you are in there get him to tell you about the crazy shark lady. Its a story to make you laugh and cry.

UH

Shark lady... Sounds like good times already, lol! I was just in there like 3 days in a row this past week, D'oh! How often do you go? I'm sure I'm bound to bump into you there one of these days, lol!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kerry you still plan on coming down to San Diego???

Yes sir still coming I will keep posting on sd when I will be arriving hahahah

man reefermadness is trash now don't bother to go new owner and new higher prices !and the location is in the hood hhahaha aa

• 4 months later...

Bringing this back to life

New stores http://www.amazingaquariumsandreefs.com/

Ali the owner is VERY knowledgeable in reef aquariums. He has the BEST LFS in So cal PERIOD !!!! he has many display tanks with awesome corals. His store is very relaxing, he has couches to lounge on in front of his display tanks. B) . Ali can personally order anything Hard to find for you. He usually carries RARE types of fish. His frags and colonies he has for sell are all healthy and beautiful. He has corals for SPS lovers, LPS, lovers, Softie lovers ! He has everything you can dream of lol.

His dry good section consist of all the top brands used world wide.

PRT http://www.pacificreefstores.com/

They have stores located through out so cal. They have just opened up a store in Tustin 2 blocks away from Amazing aquarium and reefs.

Tustin st is slowly become LFS lane lol.

Jeffs Exotic fish is also located on Tustin st. This store is great for anyone into LPS and softies corals look healthy. Staff is friendly and ready to help.

Bringing this back to life

New stores http://www.amazingaquariumsandreefs.com/

Ali the owner is VERY knowledgeable in reef aquariums. He has the BEST LFS in So cal PERIOD !!!! he has many display tanks with awesome corals. His store is very relaxing, he has couches to lounge on in front of his display tanks. B) . Ali can personally order anything Hard to find for you. He usually carries RARE types of fish. His frags and colonies he has for sell are all healthy and beautiful. He has corals for SPS lovers, LPS, lovers, Softie lovers ! He has everything you can dream of lol.

His dry good section consist of all the top brands used world wide.

PRT http://www.pacificreefstores.com/

They have stores located through out so cal. They have just opened up a store in Tustin 2 blocks away from Amazing aquarium and reefs.

Tustin st is slowly become LFS lane lol.

Jeffs Exotic fish is also located on Tustin st. This store is great for anyone into LPS and softies corals look healthy. Staff is friendly and ready to help.

I dunno Kerry, I wouldn't Ali's is the best! The new Pacific Reef in Orange is pretty darn pimp, and only ONE block away from Ali's! :scarry: Ali is cool though, he makes me laugh, just ask AA John why! :lol:

I dunno Kerry, I wouldn't Ali's is the best! The new Pacific Reef in Orange is pretty darn pimp, and only ONE block away from Ali's! :scarry: Ali is cool though, he makes me laugh, just ask AA John why! :lol:

IMO Ali's is the best I have yet to see PPT store carry sps exclusively ..... If the store has everything you want then IMO its should be consider the best !!!! Ali's shop has SPS, LPS, SOFTIES !!!!!!!!! and RARE FISH lol he orders you anything ! Plus you can sit and go to sleep on his couches !! you can beat that LMAO you can be there all day and be entertained by Ali and his aqauriums lol

I went to the PPT store in tustin before we went to visit Ali, its ok ... too commerical for my taste no SPS, a few LPS mostly softies and common fish when I went.

IMO Ali's is the best I have yet to see PPT store carry sps exclusively ..... If the store has everything you want then IMO its should be consider the best !!!! Ali's shop has SPS, LPS, SOFTIES !!!!!!!!! and RARE FISH lol he orders you anything ! Plus you can sit and go to sleep on his couches !! you can beat that LMAO you can be there all day and be entertained by Ali and his aqauriums lol

I went to the PPT store in tustin before we went to visit Ali, its ok ... too commerical for my taste no SPS, a few LPS mostly softies and common fish when I went.

Remember that PR orange just opened, so he's not fully stocked. He can get ANY fish you'd want though and he's also an authorized ORA retailer which not many LFSs can say. He's not just SW though as he knows he can profit from the FW crowd too, but his prices are killer. Ali never gives me a straight answer on things, and makes up excuses of why I don't want to buy a livestock piece rather than just tell me it's not for sale, NOT good customer service IMO. I mean his shop is definitely some nice eye candy, but other than that I wouldn't rank him the best. I've definitely been to much friendlier shops around.

Also PTF has softies, SPS, LPS as well as carrying rare fish. Steve there can also get you any fish you want, and it's fairly easy for him to do so as well. His dry good prices blow though, but that's what MD is for anyways, lol!

So Cali Tropical is another great LFS. Carries some dry itsems that other LFSs around us don't carry, and his livestock selection is pretty decent. Also his dry good prices are some of the best in So. Cali.

PR in torrance is looking sad... it was hotter inside then it was outside. most of the frag tanks were empty and the display tanks that use to have a lot of corals in them are empty with lights off.

PR in torrance is looking sad... it was hotter inside then it was outside. most of the frag tanks were empty and the display tanks that use to have a lot of corals in them are empty with lights off.

Yes because they don't know how to keep corals ...... IMO they are more focused on commericalizing LFS its find and dandie but you need to know how to care for the stuff. When I first went to the torrance spot they had sps in a display every time after my first visit I saw sps rtn .... then finally no sps in displays

this looks like the same thing that will happen at the tustin spot. display is full of sps now lets see in a few weeks on how they are doing.

I don't really expect much from thenew store either.

Yes because they don't know how to keep corals ...... IMO they are more focused on commericalizing LFS its find and dandie but you need to know how to care for the stuff. When I first went to the torrance spot they had sps in a display every time after my first visit I saw sps rtn .... then finally no sps in displays

this looks like the same thing that will happen at the tustin spot. display is full of sps now lets see in a few weeks on how they are doing.

I don't really expect much from thenew store either.

the one on brookshire is a good store. that one is well kept. the one in torrance is looking bad.

Ali never gives me a straight answer on things, and makes up excuses of why I don't want to buy a livestock piece rather than just tell me it's not for sale, NOT good customer service IMO. I mean his shop is definitely some nice eye candy, but other than that I wouldn't rank him the best. I've definitely been to much friendlier shops around.

There are reason for what Ali does Trust me every time I go in there with Bf we get good deals . Ali is a clown he jokes a lot but if you know what you want and really tell him about your set up etc he will sell it to you. He does not sale sick livestock ( could be the reason why he didn't sell a piece to you)

He also doe not enjoy selling livestock to people that can not keep it alive in tank ( not saying this is the case for you) but Ali would not sell me a one chalk bass a few months ago because he told me I need a school of them. Honestly I rather a LFS owner tell me the truth about the livestock than just sell me stuff with out caring for the well being of the animal.

I know PR in orange is new but i HIGHLY doubt they will have lots of SPS ........ in the display tanks the sps are already stn .......

PR customer service is A+++ so is their dry stock and plumbing.

But I would not waste gas to go see the shop ... I never buy anything from them. They say the can order " ANY " fish but they can't I called about 5 times for a blue assessor and they never got one for me nor the tail spot blenny........

At Ali's he will have one for you the same week you asked for it.

We have a couple of good LFS around here Roxy25.

Ghetto Tongs. On the corner of Vernon and Vermont. The surrounding is ghetto but nice selections, lol.

Bob's Tropical Fish on Atlantic. Right of the 60E.

If you want to go a bit further Rare Fish in West Covina. That place is pretty nice.

I just recently discovered a real nice one because I met with gOtfish there for a sale. Pasadena Tropical Fish off of Colorado. Man they had some real nice stuff in there last Sunday.

Tongs in Fountain Valley.

Let me think of more...

+10 ive been to tongs too, they selection is good and that pit still running a muck in the store?

+100 for pasadena tropical they are huge one of the biggest stores i've been to in los angeles area.

i used to buy a bunch of freshwater fish from there. havent stop by since i started s/w but i remember seing a good selection.

There are reason for what Ali does Trust me every time I go in there with Bf we get good deals . Ali is a clown he jokes a lot but if you know what you want and really tell him about your set up etc he will sell it to you. He does not sale sick livestock ( could be the reason why he didn't sell a piece to you)

He also doe not enjoy selling livestock to people that can not keep it alive in tank ( not saying this is the case for you) but Ali would not sell me a one chalk bass a few months ago because he told me I need a school of them. Honestly I rather a LFS owner tell me the truth about the livestock than just sell me stuff with out caring for the well being of the animal.

I know PR in orange is new but i HIGHLY doubt they will have lots of SPS ........ in the display tanks the sps are already stn .......

PR customer service is A+++ so is their dry stock and plumbing.

But I would not waste gas to go see the shop ... I never buy anything from them. They say the can order " ANY " fish but they can't I called about 5 times for a blue assessor and they never got one for me nor the tail spot blenny........

At Ali's he will have one for you the same week you asked for it.

I think it's a YMMV typ thing. You know Ali better than me, so he'll go above and beyond to get you what you want. I don't know him as well, so it doesn't work for me. The opposite is true in the case of PR, Mike knows me well, so he'll get me what ever I want providing he's able to get it. But the clam I wanted that Ali wouldn't sell me, he said it was sick, but it was perfectly healthy, full extension, reacted to light changes, and FULL color. He might have been holding it for someone, I dunno. But he told me it was sick and would probably be dead in a few days. He just doesn't seem honest to me, and everytime I'm there, he's always sitting behind the counter online looking at who know's what. Oh, he also locks the doors to the store if kids are around, Ali hates kids, lol! But that doesn't bug me, I think it's pretty damn funny. But other members and even sponsor I've talked to, says the same about when he doesn't want to sell something, he won't say it straight out, he'll make up an excuse, and that just really doesn't sit well with me. Be straight up, I'll be more understanding. =/

I think it's a YMMV typ thing. You know Ali better than me, so he'll go above and beyond to get you what you want. I don't know him as well, so it doesn't work for me. The opposite is true in the case of PR, Mike knows me well, so he'll get me what ever I want providing he's able to get it. But the clam I wanted that Ali wouldn't sell me, he said it was sick, but it was perfectly healthy, full extension, reacted to light changes, and FULL color. He might have been holding it for someone, I dunno. But he told me it was sick and would probably be dead in a few days. He just doesn't seem honest to me, and everytime I'm there, he's always sitting behind the counter online looking at who know's what. Oh, he also locks the doors to the store if kids are around, Ali hates kids, lol! But that doesn't bug me, I think it's pretty damn funny. But other members and even sponsor I've talked to, says the same about when he doesn't want to sell something, he won't say it straight out, he'll make up an excuse, and that just really doesn't sit well with me. Be straight up, I'll be more understanding. =/

It maybe be true but Mike knows me also lol so I just wont waste time at PR

Ali is honest if you would come to his store more he can get to know you better and give you anything you need. TRUST ME Matt I would never stear you wrong ;)

The chalk bass was one example but I asked him for other corals before and he said no , this does not stop me from coming back next time and asking for more lmao

if you want to head towards burbank/glendale/north hollywood there are a few good lfs that is worth the drive.

1. rainbow pet shop in arleta. pretty big good selections cool ppl.

2. tropical imports in glendale. decent selections great service.

3. aquarium works in n. hollywood. smallish but clean and good price only s/w.

4. marks tropical fish in studio city(i think). clean and good selection on s/w and corals.

But if I can't get what I want when I make the trip out, then what's the point of going. I'm not wasting gas just to look and wish he'd sell me something he won't. Maybe if I lived in the O/C I wouldn't mind.

But yeah, I know you wouldn't steer me wrong, at least I hope not, lol! ;)

• 1 month later...

2. tropical imports in glendale. decent selections great service.

dude been going there since 1990 and the service suck! they'll sell you just for the sake of making money.

one time i was there, they sold a couple 1 anemone, 2 clownfish, a starfish, and 2 other fish. i asked how long they have the tank running and what size. they said 1 week and 10gallons. the young guy with the long hair (dont know names) said, that's ok. it should have cycled already! wft! thats crazy!

LebaneseDlight

Hey guys,

I had a 60 gallon reef which I sold about 4 years ago, and had visited many LFS in los angeles. I just finished cycling a Solana 34g Cube, which I bought at Jeff's Exotic Fish. I drove to Costa Mesa from L.A. because he was willing to do a price match with eBay! Ended up getting the Solana, Stand, & Sunpod 250w MH for $700.

My favortite LFS was (and I havent been in 4+ years):

Fish Wonders

(310) 374-0361

526 Pacific Coast Hwy

Hermosa Beach, CA

Anyone been here as of late? The store owners were this cute Asian lady (30ish) and her boyfriend. VERY knowedgeable and the store specializes in Nano Reefs. Alot of smaller sized corals, fish and LR. Prices were on the higher side, but you couldnt ask for better quality and healthy fish. She wouldnt sell you something that wont survive in your set up. She had unique items like Barnacle Blennies, and Yasha Goby Pistol Shrimps before they became popular.

Aquarium CO: nice staff, selection of corals not so nice. I was just there and purchased my Yasha/Pistol ($59, so price is average). They had a red Ricordea, nice but not exceptional, $200!!!!!!

Apex: AVOID THIS STORE! Horrible selection, prices are not inticing either. Coral is all dying.

Aquatic Outlet (or Aquatic Depot): I HATE the owner. Selection is very HIT or MISS. I was just there and he said "I'm not stocking any more Gobys or Blennies." Coral selection was VERY DISSAPOINTING. I have been a member for years. I get emails weekly for 30-40% off all livestock. They jack up their prices and incentivise members to come in with the huge discounts that make the prices more realistic. DONT BUY IT FOR FULL PRICE BECAUSE IT'S ALWAYS ON SALE FOR MEMBERS!

Reef Hot Spot: good prices and selection, but service was not up to par. Also, their systems had such hgh water flow that I had a really hard time viewing the corals. The place I went to was a straight up warehouse. Is there an actual LFS? If so, that may explain why my visit wasnt as warm as some of the other reviews read on this thread.

Greg

• 3 months later...

Another +1 for Vivid in Canoga Park.

Bought some great Tonga LR this weekend. Service was excellent with several large tanks of rocks to choose from.

Im sorry to say Fish Wonders has gone out of business at the Hermosa location, they have seriously gone way down hill for 2 years. They have new owners and are in the process of moving to a location in gardena

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived