Top Shelf Aquatics

T. crocea in jbj 12dx, stock lights

il0vepez

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by il0vepez

Ok, so I finally figured out how to post pics.  Here is the clam as of today.  Notice the green ring around the mantle that was not previously there.

attachment.php?s=&postid=596315

Not sure if this has been address already, but this really looks like a Maxima to me, not a Crocea...

Here's my Maxima (kept under 250W MH)

DSCN1229.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

I realy hate to be so mean sounding to the little guy but he is gonna end up giving some REALY BAD advice to some other nano kid and killing every thing in thier tank one day.

UNLESS YOU READ UP ON EVERYTHING SNOOPY!!!! LOL!

Like that macaroon in the advanced forum keeping 5 clams and a host of other corals and MASS fish in a brand new 24g set up.

OMG dont get me starte don tat one sheash man.

It is a matter of time.

He is watching a bomb building itself up with that tank .

Its an electric blue crocea clam.

very pretty at that and somewhat on the healthy side.

Keep feedingit REGULARLY or it will go south on you ;)

Originally posted by Reef_Mad_Man

I realy hate to be so mean sounding to  the little guy but he is gonna end up giving some REALY BAD advice to some other nano kid and killing every thing in thier tank one day.

UNLESS YOU READ UP ON EVERYTHING SNOOPY!!!! LOL!

Like that macaroon in the advanced forum keeping 5 clams and a host of other corals and MASS fish in a brand new 24g set up.

OMG dont get me starte don tat one sheash man.

It is a matter of time.

He is watching a bomb building itself up with that tank .

so true.

tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock....

oh boy, that will be a fun day, not because there tank will explode, but 'because someone will discover that they are an idiot and a moron'. (as my psychology professor would say)

A paradoxical moron with incongruous tendencies! LOL!!!

A true oxymoron here huh? ( now they will all be hitting thier dictonairies, and google searches hard to find out what I just said!) LOL!!!

NOt you snoop.

( well maybe incongruous! LOL)

I read in a book once that a man could fit his head in his anus but it didnt make it so. believe none of what you hear and half of what you see, and read snoop.

EXPERIENCE is the only tru eteacher in this hobby.

collective opinions combined with physiological featrues and habits of an animal. but for the record the crab thing is an absolute andtotal impossibility.

I am all for reading up big time for the well being of your corals dont get me wrong.

What I ment was that they like me dont know everything no matter what credentials they may have.

An animal is an animal is an animal.

It will do wat it wants, when it wants regaurdless of what you try and make it do.

You can provide it with nutrients, curent , light, and every thi g under the sun. And it may not get any better. SOmtimes you just need to move somthing a quarter inch tothe left to get it to grow, spread and be marry.

I guess I should have stated:

You should be taking in all the information you possiblycan about reef keeping, and then combining your own experience ,with your own tank. Melt them together to siut your own tank by trial and error for the most part.

I take prety much anything I read save for scientificly backed proof as an opinion on what worked for them.

You will have to form your own hypotheses with your tank as you mature with your hobby, via trial and error.

;)

Look, again, it's transfer of energy. For example, my body burns about 1100 calories per day, thus I need to consume 1100 calories per day or I lose weight. Same goes for the clam... LED's put off so little energy (in the form of light) that it gets very little out of them. THAT'S what I mean by "simple transfer of energy". It gets a lot more in depth, of course, but that's the KEY point, the ROOT of everything, where it all STARTS. Simple. But sure, what do I know? I've only been in this for six years. :rolleyes:

It's really looking like a Maxima, anyway. A GOOD photo would be nice... :rolleyes:

Caesar:

Yes, normal LED's do not put off much light. The limiting factor behind the light output of an LED is the junction temperature. If I could maintain a low junction temperature, then this array of LED's could theoretically put off as much light as say, 1500 normal LEDs. This is accomplished by separating the thermal and electrical components of the LED array. If I were to maintain ambient temperature at the junctions (not possible with my setup), then the light output would be on the order of 1300 lumens. However, 600 lumens is a more practical number. Now, all of this light will excite peridinin and about 50% of the light will reach crocea's mantle, the other half will miss. An MH setup generally puts off about 25000 lumens. However, this light is full spectrum, and only about 80% of the spectrum will excite peridinin. Now, you must take into consideration that not only is the MH lighting crocea, but it also lights everything else in the tank and even a few things not in the tank. If you were to assume that it illuminated about 300in2 (that's about 17" on the square), then only about 1% of the MH light will actually illuminate the clam (about 3in2). So, 0.8x0.01x25000=200 and 1.0x0.50x600=300.

So, if I am wrong, then one of these numbers is wrong. Don't tell me I'm wrong caesar, explain to me which number is wrong. I can use the google search engine just as well as you.

You must understand caesar, that your key point is not a point at all, but rather poor logic. Your logic is as follows: If A then A. If B then B. Therefore, If A then B. If you look at things simply, then yes, you are right. But, if you look at things in detail, then you may actually learn something.

For example, you stated that you eat to replace the energy you burned. Now, this is true, but it is only a small part of the story. One must ingest food that is more ordered than oneself. One must decrease one's entropy while feeding (or photosynthesizing), or one will certainly die, no matter how much enthalpy one consumes. This is why eating granulated sugar, glycine, and essential vitamins will not keep you alive for long. All the energy and all the material you need to live is there, but the structure is lacking. However, photosynthetic critters can rely on the equivalent of twinkies, because they are capable of using photons to create structure from disorder.

Has anything I've said gotten through at all? I am just wasting my time?

Ehh, you're disproving yourself in that final paragraph. It only further infuses the point: QUALITY of food. Sure, I need specific types of foods, and will just survive (or even become malnourished and die) on basic foods (liken this to the LED's, fluorescents) or THRIVE on proper foods (Metal Halide, or a greenhouse, maybe).

Err, you're not adding anything, vic-o. I'm trying to be genuine, here. Look, pez, the main issue is that you've seen this very experiment fail time and time again....It's not a new thing. Maybe if you wanted to try matching LED's in wattage (like a whole canopy full of them), or something new that hasn't been tried, or tried much, or done correctly. But this isn't some noble experiment, just "I don't want to buy MH but I want an animal that requires it". The issue isn't just this one clam; it's the hundreds of thousands of corals, fish, and inverts that die this very same way. Because "so many people have failed when doing this, but I'm different...I'm smarter." You may well be, but it doesn't make a difference to the clam--it's still under too low of light, and of lesser quality, than it needs.

Caesar:

Your misinterpretation of my example is actually quite ironic. You amuse me.

Also, here is a recent pic. It's probably not up to your standards, but I try. I figured out how to turn off the flash. I wish 135 was as convenient as digital. The clam is almost 1 month in my tank:

I know what you mean, hon. You're so hard-headed, thinking you know it all just because you can throw out some scientific jargon. It's not how it is in the real world--this isn't in the books. Again, on the clam-in-the-stock-NC... IT'S BEEN DONE! It doesn't work. Being simpler animals, however, it takes clams, corals, hydrozoans, etc. much longer to die from poor conditions than mammals or even fish.... a couple of months, up to 6 months for some corals. That's why having had an animal like that for "a month" or "a few months" means NOTHING. It's irritating that you try to mask this endeavor as some kind of noble experiment. You just want an animal you can't have, and keep it anyway. Again, why not get a ribbon eel, or a mandarin? A FEW people have had success, and you're smart, so why not you? BECAUSE it CAN'T be done. 99.99999% of the time... And is it worth it to kill 10,000 ribbon eels or mandarins for that one that survives? I sure hope you say no.

Archived