inTank Media Baskets

T. crocea in jbj 12dx, stock lights

il0vepez

That's right, here it is. Everyone firmly believes it will soon turn to goo and die. It had a little tumble the other day from an inadvertant rock rearrangement. Keeps on kickin.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, is this a joke? U mine as well eat it before it dies, at least it wont go to total waste. And by the way, it looks more like a maxima from that angle. Does it have scales on the shell?

Originally posted by il0vepez

Everyone firmly believes it will soon turn to goo and die.    

I don't think that will happen.

I think it's going to die, then turn to goo.

Rob

I was unaware that one could purchase immortal pets. I'll trade you a slightly used crocea for a unicorn.

I buy gas once a month. Sucks for all of you!

by the way sometimes LFS's lable some things wrong for example:

Seaebea clowns are often actually Clarkkie clowns...also some LFS's lable their seahorses as black seahorses, and yellow seahorses..im sure that your lfs COULD have (not deffinatly) mislabled it.

According to Hart and Bell in Aquaculture 1998v165p203, farm based raising of crocea about the size of my clam has between 11% and 55% survival rate over 17 months. That is in natural habitat, with attempts to remove predators.

That means, that more than likely, more than half will die in 17 months. The 'natural' life span is 10 years.

They recommend inland farms (like where mine came from).

So, lots of talk, but no betting yet...

Also, scales are for fish. Scutes are for clams. But, I am just a 'noob', so what do I know.

My LFS is pretty knowledgeable. Don't think they mislabel much. Anyways, didn't get it from LFS, from liveaquaria.com. LFS didn't have any the size I wanted. I know it is in fact possible that someone placed the incorrect species in my order, but I seriously don't think so. Just look harder at the pick. I had to take a funny angle b/c of reflection.

ooo ok....i didnt kno you got it from liveaquarai...and i dont know how reliable they are but i do know that clams are not recomended to newcomers (noobs)and should be placed in an established tank....so..what else is in the tank and is this your first inhabitant...???

His tank's been up for two months, and it has the STOCK lights. Clam's a goner. I don't bet, cos it's not my thing, and it's immoral and stupid regardless. ...just like keeping an animal in sub-par conditions AND copping an attitude about it.

First, I bought water, sand, and rock (all live) from LFS. Then I let chemistry stabilize. Then I bought e blue hermits (tiny). Then I bought coral shrimp (small) Then I bought snails (tiny). Then I bought clam (1.5"). Between each, I monitored chemistry for 48hrs. At no time have I detected N or P (ok, a little P, just a little)

I had copepods (still do) for 1 week before I bought a clam. I figured if they could handle the water, so could a clam.

I just added made a fuge out of #2, got some live rock, some LED lighting that rocks, and some macroalgae, a hermit, and some snails. I've got a wavemaker thingy, and a new pump. I installed a ghetto overflow. That's about it.

Its only been about a month for the tank. And, yes, I am stupid and immoral. And yes, I have an attitude. And yes, the clam will die. My question is when. Everyone is so sure that it will die, but no one knows when. Possibly, its because they are afraid that if they say when, then they will be shown to be wrong.

My guess is about 18 months, unless I buy a generator or something. Eventually, I won't be able to provide clean water to the clam. Which according to everything I've read, is most important for crocea's survival. I have not detected any nitrogen since day 2. Phosphorous is low, below 0.5ppm, always has been. pH fluctuates. Dude at LFS, tells me that is cool. pH fluctuations in small tanks are anavoidable, without lots of money.

Do you mean par, or PAR? Big words hurt my little head.

People have kept clams for far longer than 18 months. WHY would you need a generator? How about water changes and a skimmer?

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

il0vepez,

I wish you the best on your attempt to keep it living. A lot goes into raising a crocea clam other than just size of tank and lights. You need to take into consideration, salinty swings, temp swings and water quality.

A nano cube is very hard to keep constant the smaller you go the worse it becomes. All most all of these reefers are basing their facts on these principles.

I am sure you might be able to outlast a given time on the premature death of your clam. But if you don't keep you consistency of care constant it will die.

Everyone on this site attacked me when I announced that I was keeping not one but two crocea clams under a 12 gallon nano cube. However, I did bring it up a notch on upgrading my lights to 115 watts of PC light.

Still I was told it would only live under MH, they were all mistaken. Both my clams are still living and are in a holding tank waiting for a new and large establised reef to begin their new life.

I always changed there water and properly dosed and maintained everything constant, that's the key.

But you know what, it was hard and if you asked me to do it again, I would pass, too much time to nurture, whearas in a large tank it's so much easier.

So bottom line is you can keep them under your condition but it will not thrive and grow to perfection, it will live.

This hobby is about discoverying new frontiers and I can honestly say you are trying to document your success or your failure.

I wish you the best.

Mike Guerrero (Owner of the mikeguerrero and larnie signature series tank).

Archived