Pod Your Reef

Reefkids: Casa Del Reef (Now with fish)

Reefkid88

Last time I literally used parchment paper lol and it worked so well. So I am going to try and piece on this light before I order a piece of acrylic. What is the next tank going to be,your original cube ? 

I got this light to either supplement my 9g or start a pico for my boys,but the gooseneck is 4 miles long so it makes it complicated. 

6 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

Last time I literally used parchment paper lol and it worked so well. So I am going to try and piece on this light before I order a piece of acrylic. What is the next tank going to be,your original cube ? 

I got this light to either supplement my 9g or start a pico for my boys,but the gooseneck is 4 miles long so it makes it complicated. 

Hmm interesting idea. I 3D printed a diffuser shade for my Prime, but need to actually pick up some diffuser material. 

Next tank is to redo the completely invisible build I had like 12 years ago, but on a slightly larger scale to do it better. I started a build thread a few years ago before I decided to get out of the hobby (lol), but likely going with an Ultum Nature Systems 90L

6 hours ago, schg said:

Hmm interesting idea. I 3D printed a diffuser shade for my Prime, but need to actually pick up some diffuser material. 

Next tank is to redo the completely invisible build I had like 12 years ago, but on a slightly larger scale to do it better. I started a build thread a few years ago before I decided to get out of the hobby (lol), but likely going with an Ultum Nature Systems 90L

It worked lol,cut shimmer by like 80% I'd say. Well if you feel like it,whip me up a diffuser lol I will pay you for your services.

Do you happen to have a link for this invisible build you speak of lol ? That sounds interesting. A 90L huh ? Ole big money over here 🤣 that would be super nice.

I would love to get a UNS 5S (14"x8"x4.5") or 25S (10"x10"x5") for my boys.

2 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

It worked lol,cut shimmer by like 80% I'd say. Well if you feel like it,whip me up a diffuser lol I will pay you for your services.

Do you happen to have a link for this invisible build you speak of lol ? That sounds interesting. A 90L huh ? Ole big money over here 🤣 that would be super nice.

I would love to get a UNS 5S (14"x8"x4.5") or 25S (10"x10"x5") for my boys.

lol I'll let you know, I am going to have to buy a 2'x4' sheet of the diffuser material since thats the smallest they sell it.

Here is a link to the old invisible build, which I was never able to fully accomplish due to the issues housing the MP10. I have a few ideas that might solve that problem for the next iteration of this, but yeah it is going to take some time... the wife wants to move so I am only planning on doing my little cube until that happens.

I thought this shot was pretty cool:

20220701_205812.jpg

It won't let me spin it,sorry. But I always thought the pump I had in the 2g was 80gph,turns out its 40gph. I would definitely need a 80gph even though the 40 does work with the ¼" RFG. The tide gooseneck is supeeer long so getting it close to the water is SUPER HARD. I am trying to talk my wife into like a planted macro tank,with a dwarf seahorse. Its just keeping pods on deck that I would find annoying. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after swapping the wires around to put the cyan and blue on thw white channel and the violets off the white on to the royal,something happened idk what and now the white channel won't turn on and the royal won't go above 1% brightness when when the values are at 50,100 ect ect lol I swear. But on manual mode I can go as bright as I want. 

I know the driver on the white channel is dead now,so I am going to order 2 new ldd's. In normal Storm controller fashion,when adjusting the brightness it jumps percentages unless you move incredibly slow lol. 

I might just order 3x 3up's from StevesLed's 2 @ 2x royals and 1 violet,and 1 @ 1 NW,1 WW and 1 Lime and then a 390-400 and a 385nm from RapidLed.

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is still chugging along,I need to get the water tested again. Last time I got it tested like over a week ago,I still had some ammonia. I did do a like ¾ gallon water change because the filter area and intakes on the pump were disgusting. 

So I think I have dialed the diodes down for the replacement diodes on the Tide. 2x 3up's with 2 royal's and 1 hyper violet on each from StevesLeds & 1 3up with WW 4k,1 lime and 1 cool blue and a 390-400nm and a 385nm from RapidLed and 2 new LDD's. I know for sure one is done its showing 0-1v when tested with a multimeter. 

Probably put the hyper violets on the white channel and the other 2 on the royal channel. 

On 7/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, Spencer7 said:

Clean little peninsula, glad you went with the AIO style, keep it up 

You and me both,I appteciate it.

On the other hand I did secure a DIY led setup from a member on R2R that was used on a BioCube that he cracked the glass on so was selling it for the cost of shipping. Don't know the exact diode layout but I am sure I can use majority of them for something. 

Screenshot_20220726-143153_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20220726-143158_Samsung Internet.jpg

So buddy with the diy light on R2R keeps reading my messages but won't respond,so hopefully the deal doesn't fall thru. 

Upside,I have hundreds of tiny pods on the glass in my filter area,and a bunch on the tank glass. I'm assuming they appreciate the low flow in the filter section lol. 

For some unknown reason,I stopped at Petco today and they had 2 Sharknose that were probably an inch long.. I was SUPER tempted to get them but I didn't. $30 for 2 is a super good deal. 

fenderchamp
On 6/28/2022 at 4:25 PM, Reefkid88 said:

I use a little bit of wax paper to shade a meteorite cyphestria, I haven't been all that consistent about it, so results have varied, I think it has still got too much light, but the wax paper seems to diffuse the leds fairly effectively. 

7 hours ago, fenderchamp said:

I use a little bit of wax paper to shade a meteorite cyphestria, I haven't been all that consistent about it, so results have varied, I think it has still got too much light, but the wax paper seems to diffuse the leds fairly effectively. 

I actually did,I folded it ovet on its 2 times and the shimmer was still intense lol. 

On my last led light that I built,I used frosted acrylic and then a frost film and it worked amazingly. So I will have to try that on the Tide if I can ever get it working again. 

12 hours ago, Reefkid88 said:

For some unknown reason,I stopped at Petco today and they had 2 Sharknose that were probably an inch long.. I was SUPER tempted to get them but I didn't. $30 for 2 is a super good deal. 

Do ittttt! I paid $22 for my one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tank is still chugging along,no fish or anything yet. Just tons of pods. 

I did manage to get a bunch of led stuff and going to build a hybrid out of my t5 light. I will probably go with 2 NanoBox Glow strips with some violets royals between them (1x 385,3up with 2 royals,and a hyper violet). I might run some whites. But I will be able to be 3 channel now since I am getting my ldd's and my breakout cord back. 

I will update the light and what i plan on doing once everything comes in. Thanks @mitten_reef @Lingwendil for everything. 

• Like 1

Led stuff came in and I think I am going to try this supplemental puck out,3 different channels. 

Channel 1: 4x Luxeon T Royals,2 Luxeon Rebel Blue.

Channel 2: 4x Luxeon T Royals,2x Hyper Violets

Channel 3: 1x SemiLed 390-400,1x SemiLed 400-410,1x SemiLed 410-420,1x SemiLed 445nm (Ultramarine Blue from RapidLed). 

I will just need to grab some thermal adhesive,a 12v fan and said connector to connect it all. 

16605986700277707831672025111606.jpg

• Like 3

Nice, this is going to be awesome. I would probably drill and tap it, and use thermal paste instead. I don't think thermal adhesive is really great for anything except for pretty small things. I could be wrong, but I'd at least look into it!

59 minutes ago, schg said:

Nice, this is going to be awesome. I would probably drill and tap it, and use thermal paste instead. I don't think thermal adhesive is really great for anything except for pretty small things. I could be wrong, but I'd at least look into it!

I am gonna try and not disappoint. Well I had though about that but the thickness of the heatsink is what made me not wanna do it. I have always used thermal adhesive for the past idk 5-6 years without issues. 

On 8/15/2022 at 5:21 PM, Reefkid88 said:

Channel 1: 4x Luxeon T Royals,2 Luxeon Rebel Blue.

Channel 2: 4x Luxeon T Royals,2x Hyper Violets

I see you're splitting the channels on the beam after all, nice, 😄

19 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

I see you're splitting the channels on the beam after all, nice, 😄

Well that and letting people more or less know whats on different channels lol. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, schg said:

Yesss!!! Let’s gooooo!!!

But now I am having issues,everything was working 110% how it was supposed I swapped power cords from a shorter one to a longer one that @mitten_reef gave me and then the light wouldn't even come on. Swapping it back,the light turned on but with issues. 2 channels when dimmed to 0% they go 100%,and one channel is fine. 

So now I am pondering. I swapped boards from the Steves to the Coralux numerous times,seeing if that work (preswapping the cords back) and nothing. So I need to retry the Steves board and see if that helps. 

• Sad 1
  • Reefkid88 changed the title to Reefkids: Casa Del Reef (Now with fish)