Top Shelf Aquatics

🕘 Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest 🕔

seabass

2 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

I hope for you @Murphych that she doesn't type nano-reef 9 to 5 on google and see your posts 🤫

Never fear.. there is an absolute lack of interest in anything tank related... Only time the subject is remotely of interest is when there is water on the floor that needs not to be there... To waste a nano second googling it would be time that a piece of life was wasted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
On 10/1/2021 at 8:58 AM, seabass said:

9to5template.jpg.fe960585edc0da47889ed5a2dfa9bd8e.jpg

Contest Journal Title

Introduction or summary...

Current Full Tank Shot:

[Photo 📸 Here]

Contest Entry Picture:

[Photo 📸 Here]

Equipment:

• Tank...

Livestock:

• Coral...

Highlight Links:

• Note: To get the URL, click on the Share icon "sharetemplate.jpg.ef149ec3ffe9d2931b38fac101a4f97b.jpg" in the top right corner that post.

Conclusion, summary, or thanks...

Reefin' 9 to 5, Brought to you by:

intanktemplate.jpg.858bfcd66a6d01fbb99cbe6d0beff090.jpg  &  nanoreeftemplate.jpg.4ff4c41570f99dd79c0198de114ce5e1.jpg

Note: I UPDATED the previous template.

When I was creating my contest journal (using the first template), there were a couple of things I didn't really like about it (for example: how fuzzy the 9 to 5 logo looked).  Here is, what I feel is, a cleaner template for anybody who wishes to use (or modify) it.

Edited by seabass
  • Like 5
14 hours ago, Murphych said:

Looking for a reef led bulb for a spare table lamp I have to light up the 12inch deep cube. @Ratvan you seen any going in UK ? 

Amazon is your best bet 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EEEKit-Spectrum-Hydroponics-Greenhouse-Organic/dp/B07KWXV1DZ/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=par38+coral+grow+light+bulb&qid=1633424026&sr=8-20 

looks decent just need to kill a few of the Reds i think. The actual coral ones are all around the £40-45 mark 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MASUNN-Coral-Plant-Aquarium-85-265V/dp/B07CNQ8FSR/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=par38+coral+grow+light+bulb&qid=1633424120&sr=8-11

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

Nice one.. I'll hack the first option. If it don't work out.. it was £6 👍🏼

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

The actual coral ones are all around the £40-45 mar

I feel that one red LED would be plenty, possibly making the first one nicer for growing macroalgae or seagrass.  So for coral, I'd think the second option might be worth the added cost.

• Like 3

I might be giving away a competitive advantage; but here's a pro aquascaping tip, using thin CA glue to bond rock together, making a Negative Space Aquascape (NSA).

You might have seen BRS do something similar using thick super glue and accelerator):

Besides crushed rock powder, fine oolite sand is sometimes used with thin cyanoacrylate glue.

If not using thick glue and an accelerator, you want water thin glue (like with a viscosity of 2 CPS).  Maybe something like this:

Bob Smith 103 Insta-Cure 2oz Super Thin

• Like 2
57 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Right now I have 5 tanks 3 are empty but none of them meet the 9to5 criteria. Figures I sold the Evo 5 just a few weeks before official contest was announced. 

If smaller, consider adding a sump, refugium, or external filter/reactor; or you can even connect two smaller tanks.  If larger, consider sectioning off an area for a freshwater ATO reservoir; or making it more shallow by adding (and sealing off) a sheet of glass, making a new bottom.

Also, I liked @Tamberav's idea of putting some decor inside an upside-down, sealed, spherical fish bowl, which would reduce the size of the tank and add to a theme.

Image result for glass sphere fish bowl   image.jpeg.06031f1128dc5f5a052b4cbb7a159951.jpeg

You don't even need a tank.  I still like the idea of a 5-gallon bucket reef, with top down views.  I almost went this route, crafting it up to resemble the Chum Bucket.
Image result for chum bucket

I won't be using this idea, so it's still up for grabs. :smilie:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 9/30/2021 at 1:57 PM, Tamberav said:

take a 20g long... block off 11g and use the part you blocked off to place rock tints/lighting to create a shadowbox background

I'd love to see someone try something like that; it'd be perfect for a tank that's over 9 gallons.  I remember @Noah C Peterson doing something similar:

IMG_1416.thumb.JPG.93afe07231e9c3a4f3310374fdc34e28.JPG

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Interesting to see so many people running a cube tank in this so far

If I could only have been that smart. :lol:

However, since I proposed a carboy challenge, I felt a tiny bit obligated to at least try and demonstrate that it wasn't an utterly impossible notion.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
9 hours ago, seabass said:

If I could only have been that smart. :lol:

However, since I proposed a carboy challenge, I felt a tiny bit obligated to at least try and demonstrate that it wasn't an utterly impossible notion.

I saw a carboy freshwater that they cut part of the top off then flipped and mounted it over it and had a waterfall going off that part into the carboy. Can’t find where I saw the pic now!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I saw a carboy freshwater that they cut part of the top off then flipped and mounted it over it and had a waterfall going off that part into the carboy. Can’t find where I saw the pic now!

So I did a search on Carboy Aquarium, and I was surprised by how many examples there were.

Image result for carboy aquarium  image.jpeg.2a1cada8a6a0b4ed13ad5aa27c6ce504.jpeg   Image result for carboy aquarium  Image result for carboy aquarium  Image result for carboy aquarium

Even some simple plans for a carboy on it's side.
MOGEc3C.jpg

And weird enough, my carboy showed up too. :lol:

Then of course, there's the Real Genius water cooler tank:
https://www.nano-reef.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://content.instructables.com/ORIG/F1A/PBN8/I03ODLDA/F1APBN8I03ODLDA.png&key=47e016d3c1ef7833e07c86843b78d2c90e5efb0bf92b86486bbd7757b6fc7e8b

Anybody else up for taking on the carboy challenge?
  • Haha 4
5 hours ago, seabass said:

So I did a search on Carboy Aquarium, and I was surprised by how many examples there were.

Image result for carboy aquarium  image.jpeg.2a1cada8a6a0b4ed13ad5aa27c6ce504.jpeg   Image result for carboy aquarium  Image result for carboy aquarium  Image result for carboy aquarium

Even some simple plans for a carboy on it's side.
MOGEc3C.jpg

And weird enough, my carboy showed up too. :lol:

Then of course, there's the Real Genius water cooler tank:
https://www.nano-reef.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://content.instructables.com/ORIG/F1A/PBN8/I03ODLDA/F1APBN8I03ODLDA.png&key=47e016d3c1ef7833e07c86843b78d2c90e5efb0bf92b86486bbd7757b6fc7e8b

Anybody else up for taking on the carboy challenge?

I would have gone full water cooler carboy route if i could afford to transport the one i found back 

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I would have gone full water cooler carboy route

Yeah, I wish that would have worked out.  I mean what says office nano more than standing around the water cooler.

Water Cooler Aquarium That's Still Drinkable

FY6A79NI05EW1UG.jpg

Or simply building or buying a stand for an inverted carboy.

1ed401d918112cdad242312ad6a108b4.jpg

This is still an attractive option, which I haven't totally ruled out just yet.

• Like 3

Personally I am not a fan of a bucket. That is not something I would have done in my office. It would have to be a glass container and probably pretty traditional so I would consider keeping it after the contest. Something like a old bet up standard 10 gallon with a 1 gallon hocking jar to bring the volume down is more my style.  Then again a 3 gallon pico with a bucket sump of at least 2 gallons. Can’t decide. At least Nov 30th is enough time to keep procrastinating for now.

F980BEE6-1AB0-426D-B6C2-15CC7E8AA724.jpeg

6E3BEA8F-C09E-47F5-A9DD-C32E73563495.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic