Coral Vue Hydros

๐Ÿ•˜ Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest ๐Ÿ•”

seabass

How'd everyone cycling their contest tanks?

ย 

Live rock insta style, Ammonia dosing,ย  Dr tims one and only / other, Fish in

ย 

I'm about to kick off and get my tank wet in a couple days after I build my stand...ย 

ย 

My rock has been sumped yesterday and will stay there a week, after a RODI dip so it's free of any shop shelf crap and might pick up a little bit of the "good juice" ( good juice - does that sound like something you don't want anywhere near you?)๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha 1

My rock stayed in a bucket while I cleaned the tank. Now, my rock, clown fish, and frags are just jumbled in there to get it going.ย  I need to take a picture to show this stage of its development.

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, Murphych said:

How'd everyone cycling their contest tanks?

I plan to use man-made tonga branch rock (not sure how, or even if it will fit yet), maybe also with some dry rock rubble (or maybe strictly with dry rock rubble). :unsure:ย  My plan is to rely heavily on live sand from the ocean (as well as keeping the bio-load low).ย  However, I might do at least one round of dosing the rock structure with nitrifying bacteria and up to 2ppm with ammonium chloride, then letting the ammonia become undetectable before adding the sand (hopefully with lots of beneficial life).

• Like 1

Yeah I will do a single ammonia dose to kick off..but not overly concerned about it as I plan on a few 100% water changes early doors.. water from my main tank so it gives me an excuse to give the reefspace some new water... It's been a few months...

• Like 1
15 hours ago, dmw913 said:

Ok, I fell prey to the contest but have already failed at point of entry.ย  I have the perfect spot for an IM Fusion Pro 2 peninsula 14 gallon at the office so that's what I've ordered.ย  Can I pretend I'm cool and tag along in the threads but not be prize eligible?ย  I want to play!!!image.png.d149e4ec47d827fc2f87f54946be59e1.png

Those tanks are so cool!ย 

ย 

We can watch from the sidelines together. I'm just starting up a new tank, andย even though it only holds 8 gallons, it's an IM 10, so I'm a wannabe too!!

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

For water volume capacity, we'll accept the stated manufacturer's specifications for volume, OR plugging the inner dimensions into this tank volume calculator, OR by using measured amounts of water to determine unusual shapes, like vases (or even AIO tanks with chambers).ย  But it must be filled to the top.

ย 

35 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

I'm just starting up a new tank, andย even though it only holds 8 gallons, it's an IM 10

From IM's website: Outside DIMS: Length 11.8โ€ Width: 15โ€ Height: 13โ€ (Glass Thickness: 6mm).

ย 

So by calculating the inner dimensions by subtracting the thickness of the glass, and entering that into the calculator, I get 11.3 x 14.5 x 12.8, or 9.08 gallons.ย  So using our qualifications, an IM Fusion Pro 2 | 10 AIO Aquarium would qualify for the contest (which allows for rounding to the nearest gallon).

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, debbeach13 said:

Oh you guy's just made me think. If I do decide on setting up my IM 10 I might reuse my - I am not a contestant unofficially coping the 9to5 contest. Of course no tag to the contest.ย 

If the dimensions are the same as above, you're good too.

2 hours ago, seabass said:

For water volume capacity, we'll accept the stated manufacturer's specifications for volume, OR plugging the inner dimensions into this tank volume calculator, OR by using measured amounts of water to determine unusual shapes, like vases (or even AIO tanks with chambers).ย  But it must be filled to the top.

ย 

From IM's website: Outside DIMS: Length 11.8โ€ Width: 15โ€ Height: 13โ€ (Glass Thickness: 6mm).

ย 

So by calculating the inner dimensions by subtracting the thickness of the glass, and entering that into the calculator, I get 11.3 x 14.5 x 12.8, or 9.08 gallons.ย  So using our qualifications, an IM Fusion Pro 2 | 10 AIO Aquarium would qualify for the contest (which allows for rounding to the nearest gallon).

I'm not trying to be difficult about what qualifies or not, but the qualifying tank parameters keeps confusing me. ๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

For the IM10, there's also the bottom glass thickness to take into account, plus the glass/acrylic of the rear chambers, and lastly, the tank doesn't get filled up completely to the top when running.

ย 

I filled the tank and ran a leak test with the pump on a few weeks ago.ย Then drained it into my 5 gallon storage jugs - 8.25 gallons of water. I wanted to know exactly how much rodi/saltwater I needed to make up.ย 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

the qualifying tank parameters keeps confusing me.

To be clear (for those following along), any tanks or containers (or combination of tanks, containers, sumps, filters, etc) which TOTAL between 4.50 US gallons and 9.50 US gallons will qualify.ย  We will accept the stated manufacturer's specifications for capacity, OR the calculated capacity by entering the inner dimensions into this tank volume calculator, OR by using measured amounts of water to determine the capacity of unusual shapes (like vases or filters).

ย 

For the IM10, there's also the bottom glass thickness to take into account, plus the glass/acrylic of the rear chambers

As you can see in my calculations above, I accounted for the bottom thickness as well as the thickness of the four outer walls.ย  Obviously I didn't calculate the volume displacement of the chamber dividing walls, which could also be done if the tank were just over 9.50 gallons (but your tank is clearly under the maximum capacity without even taking that into account).

ย 

I think that if we were to actually calculate the AIO dividers (and subtract their displacement), your tank would likely be below 9.0 gallons. :smilie:

ย 

ย lastly, the tank doesn't get filled up completely to the top when running

At least for this contest, we are only interested in total capacity and not how much water you actually use (or even recommended water levels).

ย 

For example, you could NOT enter a 14 gallon tank and only fill it with 9.50 gallons.ย  Also, rocks (even if affixed to the tank bottom) and other objects which can displace water will not subtract from the tank's total volume capacity.ย  Modifications affecting the volume capacity must be completely sealed off and be part of the tank (like a sealed off freshwater ATO reservoir).ย  Someone could even reduce the capacity of a 10 gallon aquarium by sealing two 1 quart jars upside down anywhere inside their tank (reducing the capacity down to 9.5 gallons).

ย 

I filled the tank and ran a leak test with the pump on a few weeks ago.ย Then drained it into my 5 gallon storage jugs - 8.25 gallons of water. I wanted to know exactly how much rodi/saltwater I needed to make up.

This method of determining volume would also be acceptable if you filled it up COMPLETELY.

ย 

Hopefully, that clears things up.ย  But let me know if anything is still unclear (as others could have the same questions).ย  All that said, CONGRATULATIONS Kimber, your tank qualifies for the Reefin' 9 to 5 Office Nano Contest. ๐Ÿ‘

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, seabass said:

How large?ย  Here's a 5 x 5 x 10 (just one gallon): https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Imports-Flower-Acrylic-Square/dp/B07TDNB861/

ย 

Looking for glass and maybe a bit wider? idk

ย 

A sphere would be okay if it has good clarity. Not all vases do... but then they can also be kinda heavy!

ย 

I also may just buy a 2.5g tank cheap and flip it. I guess I need to see how it would look... won't be a pillar but may be easier to keep clean. I would have to remove the bottom trim though. It would also be easy to attach/stabilize.ย 

ย 

I guess it would look like a reverse drop off tank? Might be cool/fun. Ya maybe I will try that first and see how it works since rimless 2.5g tanks are like $12.ย 

ย 

๐Ÿค”

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, M. Tournesol said:

You could use a fishbowl?

ย 

Excess weight seems like it might stress the bottom tank as some of those bowls are pretty heavy/sturdy but I honestly have not picked one up in person in a long time. The rimless cheap petco tank is very thin glass.ย 

ย 

Maybe see how much it is to have glass cut? I imagine it would not need to be that thick.ย 

ย 

I am probably giving myself too much work lol

ย 

ย 

Found a pic of what is similar to what I was thinking. If square I could just silicone it to the top of the other tank if it's not too heavy.ย 

ย 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 6

Free tank with neon pink silicone posted on facebook... dang... wish I could buy aquarium silicone in neat colors for silly DIY.ย 

ย 

I see some colored DIY silicone youtube videos...ย 

ย 

image.png.44b43c97018288f9b267fe12fc355f8c.png

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Free tank with neon pink silicone posted on facebook... dang... wish I could buy aquarium silicone in neat colors for silly DIY.ย 

ย 

I see some colored DIY silicone youtube videos...ย 

ย 

image.png.44b43c97018288f9b267fe12fc355f8c.png

with aย littleย pinkย castleย ๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Aqua Splendor

This is awesome!
I searched for what reef tank my budget could allowed, this was the biggest volume, it's not empty yet, hopefully before December!
I'm Canadian, so I this is around 5 to 9 ... ml, *cough cough*
20211012_194004.thumb.jpg.401b180040296c4290a09b1f5b1c160a.jpg20211012_193445.thumb.jpg.3ce7e2912757c7ead901cd0e8fbb50ab.jpg

All seriousness, I'm unable to participate on that one but I will try to bring some people here for this contest.
(I bought this candle as a container for aquarium/filming purpose ๐Ÿ˜›)ย 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic