Top Shelf Aquatics

๐Ÿ•˜ Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest ๐Ÿ•”

seabass

This is the first time I've ever considered entering one of the contests and have the means to do so! Since my "office" is currently my living room since we're working from home still. I'll be taking a trip to the storage unit today ro grab some materials and get ready to start a thread!ย 

• Like 9

Well, I just discovered this thread! Iโ€™m off to a conference tonight, but when I return I think I may have to join this contest! Itโ€™s great timing since my heater went rogue in the 3 gal and destroyed most of the contents 2 days ago. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

Apparently the logos in the contest journal template revert to their original size when being pasted into a new journal.ย  And while it's possible to resize them yourself, I've created smaller logos, so that they don't dominate the journal pages using unedited graphics.ย  The following post/template contains the new graphics...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ย 

9to5template.jpg.fe960585edc0da47889ed5a2dfa9bd8e.jpg

Contest Journal Title

ย 

Introduction or summary...

ย 

Current Full Tank Shot:

[Photoย ๐Ÿ“ธ Here]

ย 

ย 

Contest Entry Picture:

[Photoย ๐Ÿ“ธ Here]

ย 

ย 

Equipment:

• Tank...

ย 

Livestock:

• Coral...

ย 

Highlight Links:

• Note: To get the URL, click on the Share icon "sharetemplate.jpg.ef149ec3ffe9d2931b38fac101a4f97b.jpg" in the top right corner that post.

ย 

Conclusion, summary, or thanks...

ย 

ย 

Reefin' 9 to 5, Brought to you by:

intanktemplate.jpg.858bfcd66a6d01fbb99cbe6d0beff090.jpgย  &ย  nanoreeftemplate.jpg.4ff4c41570f99dd79c0198de114ce5e1.jpg

ย 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ANNOUNCEMENT: Quick-view Pic/Summary (for voting)

salarisonderhandeling-1.jpg

Contest quick-view pics/summaries (due on Sunday May 15, 2022) will include the following:

• I'll provide your Username and Contest Thread Title (which I'll link to your contest journal)
  • Required:ย One Primary Photo*
  • Optional: A mix of Up to 200 words**, and Up to Two Additional Pics*

* No videos allowed; however, animated GIFs will be accepted.ย  Pictures can also be a photo collage if combined into a single photo file.

** Linked text is allowed.

ย 

Photos can be a full tank shot, an overhead view, pic of the filtration, a DIY project, a collage of different livestock, etc.ย  Descriptions exceeding 200 words will be truncated, and only (the first) three photo files will be included in your quick-view summary.

ย 

A photo isย required to be included in the voting.ย  These photos and optional brief descriptions must be sent to me by May 15, 2022 (providing voters with a quick-view or reminder of your project).

ย 

More detailed information should be included in your initial contest journal post, possibly including things like:

• Additional pictures
  • Project goals
  • Full summary of the project
  • Video tour
  • Equipment list with specifications
  • Current livestock
  • Links to key posts
  • Your maintenance routine
  • Things you've learned or what you wish you had done differently
  • Future plans for your entry

Voters will be encouraged to read through the contestants' initial posts prior to voting.

ย 

Obviously, this deadline is still quite some time away, but keep this in mind when updating your initial post.ย  A reminder to send in your quick-view summaries will be sent out prior to the end of the contest.

ย 

ย 

Reefin' 9 to 5 - Office Nano Contest is brought to you by:

spacer.png & spacer.png

ย 

• Like 5
MainelyReefer

๐Ÿค” seems the IM10 has gotten the green light for meeting contest rules, could the same be said about a WB10? I know for fact it fits less than 10g even without aqua scape. ย 

2 hours ago, MainelyReefer said:

๐Ÿค” seems the IM10 has gotten the green light for meeting contest rules, could the same be said about a WB10? I know for fact it fits less than 10g even without aqua scape. ย 

A Waterbox CUBE 10 is 13.8"ร—14.2"ร—13.8".ย  Plug that into the approved tank volume calculator, and you get 11.71 gallons.ย  This doesn't account for the glass thickness, however, that wouldn't reduce it by at least 2.21 gallons.ย  Per their specifications, the CUBE 10 has an aquarium volume of 10.9 gallons.ย  Even if you go by their "10", it's over the approved volume.

ย 

So the Waterbox CUBE 10 is not between 4.50 US gallons and 9.50 US gallons, and (unmodified) does NOT qualify for this particular competition.

ย 

However, the Waterbox CLEAR MINI 10 has a stated aquarium volume of 9.2 gallons, and DOES qualify.

ย 

Again, I'll accept the manufacturer's stated volume, or plugging in the inside dimensions into the approved tank volume calculator, or by completely filling on odd shaped object (like a vase) with a measured amount of water.

MainelyReefer
1 hour ago, seabass said:

A Waterbox CUBE 10 is 13.8"ร—14.2"ร—13.8".ย  Plug that into the approved tank volume calculator, and you get 11.71 gallons.ย  This doesn't account for the glass thickness, however, that wouldn't reduce it by at least 2.21 gallons.ย  Per their specifications, the CUBE 10 has an aquarium volume of 10.9 gallons.ย  Even if you go by their "10", it's over the approved volume.

ย 

So the Waterbox CUBE 10 is not between 4.50 US gallons and 9.50 US gallons, and (unmodified) does NOT qualify for this particular competition.

ย 

However, their CLEAR MINI 10 has a stated aquarium volume of 9.2 gallons, and DOES qualify.

ย 

Again, I'll accept the manufacturer's stated volume, or plugging in the inside dimensions into the approved tank volume calculator, or by completely filling on odd shaped object (like a vase) with a measured amount of water.

Just measured mine and the dimensions are even bigger than what you posted๐Ÿคฎ thanks for your educated response and taking the time to track down what I didnโ€™tย 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, MainelyReefer said:

Just measured mine and the dimensions are even bigger than what you posted๐Ÿคฎ thanks for your educated response and taking the time to track down what I didnโ€™tย 

Thanks.ย  Maybe they modified it recently. :unsure:

ย 

Just following up as an example:

Given 3/16" glass, I figure the CUBE 10's inner dimensions are 13.42" x 13.82" x 13.61" or 10.93 gallons

Assuming 3/16" partitions, the main divider would be 13.82" x 0.19" x 13.61" or 0.15 gallons

Two 13.61" x 0.19" x 3.1" chamber partitions would be 0.06 gallons

So the total capacity (including the partitions) would be 10.93 - 0.15 - 0.06, or 10.72 gallons

MainelyReefer
5 minutes ago, seabass said:

Thanks.ย  Maybe they modified it recently. :unsure:

ย 

Just following up as an example:

Given 3/16" glass, I figure the CUBE 10's inner dimensions are 13.42" x 13.82" x 13.61" or 10.93 gallons

Assuming 3/16" partitions, the main divider would be 13.82" x 0.19" x 13.61" or 0.15 gallons

Two 13.61" x 0.19" x 3.1" chamber partitions would be 0.06 gallons

So the total capacity (including the partitions) would be 10.93 - 0.15 - 0.06, or 10.72 gallons

Lost me in the numbers but I trust you, again thanks for the detailed response

• Like 1

Looking this up for someone tonight.ย  Here is another tank which qualifies:

ย 

Lifegardย CRYSTAL Rimless Low Iron Ultra Clear Aquarium (9.63 gallons, 17.72" x 10.63" 11.81").

ย 

They calculated the tank volume from the outer dimensions (versus the inner dimensions).ย  And since they use 5mm glass, the inner dimensions would be 17.33" x 10.25" x 11.61", making the actual volume capacity only 8.93 gallons.

ย 

291884_MAIN._AC_SL400_V1621635496_.jpg

• Like 3

For a shallow tank, there is a UNS shallow 5 gallon ultra clear rimless aquarium:

uns-45s-5-gallon-ultra-clear-rimless-aquarium-3720213725265.jpg

ULTUMย NATURE SYSTEMS 45S

Dimensions:
Length: 17.71"
Width: 11.02"
Height: 7.09"
Glass thickness: 5mm
Volume: 5 gallons
ย 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

giving it serious thought at the moment, would prefer to have it in the office as opposed to anotherย at homeย 

Or both? ๐Ÿค”

• Haha 2
Just now, seabass said:

Or both? ๐Ÿค”

Nah the cost of electric as well as livestock has pretty much made me decide to have the 9to5 in the office or not at all, will keep Mantis Manor going and look for local bargain frags but other than that my hobby budget has taken a huge hit lately. Also actively looking to give my Betta set up awayย 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Christopher Marks unpinned this topic