Innovative Marine Aquariums

Debate: Will the Coronavirus outbreak affect the reefing community

Nauticus

squamptonbc
3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If there are fish or wild caught inverts you are looking to buy, now may be the time.

Two vendors (that I know of) have basically shut down shipping because they can not reliably get the fish in anymore. 

Reefs4less post:

image.thumb.png.019c947485c8ed9b9f2fac86510df857.png

From BaybridgeAquarium:

image.thumb.png.a2770031e499d05162b138d314170ff1.png

The stores near me stopped bringing in livestock last month, I am thinking livestock will be on short supply going forward for the foreseeable future and with some provinces removing pet stores from their essential business lists meaning the stores can only sell online/offer curbside pick up, many are choosing to just close until they can allow customers in the store again.

I wouldn't even want to try to find cargo methods of getting living animals from one side of the world to another, and non-essential cargo will get bumped for essential cargo and its doubtful livestock for aquariums would be deemed essential over medical supplies which further adds to the risk, there is a shortage of cargo capacity right now via air because of so many passenger flights being suspended, a large amount of our livestock arrives on passenger planes as cargo and not actually on cargo aircraft.

StinkyBunny

14 hours ago, Tamberav said:

If there are fish or wild caught inverts you are looking to buy, now may be the time.

Two vendors (that I know of) have basically shut down shipping because they can not reliably get the fish in anymore. 

Reefs4less post:

image.thumb.png.019c947485c8ed9b9f2fac86510df857.png

From BaybridgeAquarium:

image.thumb.png.a2770031e499d05162b138d314170ff1.png

The problem is most countries have closed their borders, nothing in or out. Planes are a veritable petri dish when it comes to diseases. We've shut down, the last import shipment for us was last Friday and I cleaned out 4 of my South American collectors of freshwater fish. The deadline to get anything wild has passed, if it's not here now, you're going to find it very difficult to get it for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
MainelyReefer
2 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

The problem is most countries have closed their borders, nothing in or out. Planes are a veritable petri dish when it comes to diseases. We've shut down, the last import shipment for us was last Friday and I cleaned out 4 of my South American collectors of freshwater fish. The deadline to get anything wild has passed, if it's not here now, you're going to find it very difficult to get it for the foreseeable future.

I made this argument with my wife to get my pink streaked wrasse and plate coral haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Very good to know. I wonder if ORA will be able to keep breeding or if their workers are at risk. I see they have a lot available right now. 

21 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

The stores near me stopped bringing in livestock last month, I am thinking livestock will be on short supply going forward for the foreseeable future and with some provinces removing pet stores from their essential business lists meaning the stores can only sell online/offer curbside pick up, many are choosing to just close until they can allow customers in the store again.

I wouldn't even want to try to find cargo methods of getting living animals from one side of the world to another, and non-essential cargo will get bumped for essential cargo and its doubtful livestock for aquariums would be deemed essential over medical supplies which further adds to the risk, there is a shortage of cargo capacity right now via air because of so many passenger flights being suspended, a large amount of our livestock arrives on passenger planes as cargo and not actually on cargo aircraft.

It's not just shipping, its import licenses.

Most stores here deal with 1 supplier who deals with all that.

StinkyBunny
On 4/4/2020 at 5:53 PM, Lypto said:

I can see passenger aircraft becoming modified to shipping aircraft in order to avoid too much of a hit.

Passenger aircraft carry quite a bit of cargo. As for them getting converted, never gonna happen, they make too much money on people.

5 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Import licenses here in the USA are not even a factor in pricing in the grand scheme of things. Those of you in the UK have a whole nother layer of hell to deal with. We just have USF&W and US Customs to deal with.

ECLS Reefer
23 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Passenger aircraft carry quite a bit of cargo. As for them getting converted, never gonna happen, they make too much money on people.

Import licenses here in the USA are not even a factor in pricing in the grand scheme of things. Those of you in the UK have a whole nother layer of hell to deal with. We just have USF&W and US Customs to deal with.

United and American are already running cargo rather than people because there’s no passengers. They changed over to cargo flights about two- three weeks ago.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I'm not in the UK.

In Cda. Any livestock that comes into Cda requires import licenses.

Individuals who want to bring in livestock for personal possession still have paperwork requirements and only certain livestock is permitted. 

Even certain dosing products are not permitted to be sold here and nor are medications for animals/fish. 

squamptonbc
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

The 2 main saltwater stores in BC can self import, and a couple of stores who self import freshwater fish and avoid wholesalers, keeps the prices lower as well.

Most wholesalers have either shutdown or greatly reduced incoming shipments. So, livestock available at LFS or online should reflect this soon (mostly fish).

I think long-term we will see many people exit the hobby, as priorities shift away from hobbies that require disposable income.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny
On 4/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, Tamberav said:

Very good to know. I wonder if ORA will be able to keep breeding or if their workers are at risk. I see they have a lot available right now. 

They should weather this pretty good as with many of the captive propagators.

On 4/5/2020 at 8:28 PM, Clown79 said:

I'm not in the UK.

In Cda. Any livestock that comes into Cda requires import licenses.

Individuals who want to bring in livestock for personal possession still have paperwork requirements and only certain livestock is permitted. 

Even certain dosing products are not permitted to be sold here and nor are medications for animals/fish. 

Since when did Canada leave the kingdom? I mean, I'm not up on a lot of stuff, but it seems to me y'all still under British rule? Je ne c'est pas.

On 4/5/2020 at 11:18 PM, Humblefish said:

Most wholesalers have either shutdown or greatly reduced incoming shipments. So, livestock available at LFS or online should reflect this soon (mostly fish).

I think long-term we will see many people exit the hobby, as priorities shift away from hobbies that require disposable income.

We're going to take a look at our business month to month. We want to move to NC and set back up there, now may be the time to just shut everything down here and move. It's going to get real slim, real fast other than Florida fish here in the US.

15 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

Since when did Canada leave the kingdom? I mean, I'm not up on a lot of stuff, but it seems to me y'all still under British rule? Je ne c'est pas.

We're going to take a look at our business month to month. We want to move to NC and set back up there, now may be the time to just shut everything down here and move. It's going to get real slim, real fast other than Florida fish here in the US.

Glad to know captive will probably be fine. Hopefully more people try captive with the other fish low stock. 

Do you ship fish? Like can I buy from you? 🙂 I don't even know if you have a website or are you local only?

squamptonbc
1 hour ago, StinkyBunny said:

Canada is no longer part of the UK, it is part of the commonwealth which includes the UK and other countries, 50 something if I recall correctly, and Canada accepts the British Monarch as it's own, and Queen Elizabeth 2 is the Queen of Canada, although her role is now essentially ceremonial in nature.

Canada was a British Dominion until 1931 when Canada gained legal freedom and equal standing with England and other commonwealth countries, however Britain still retained power to amend the Canadian constitution. Canada replaced its flag in 1965 with its current red and white maple leaf style.

In 1982 Canada adopted its own constitution and became a completely independent and sovereign nation.

https://www.history.com/news/canada-independence-from-britain-france-war-of-1812

-I am not Canadian, I only live in Canada. American who married a Canadian.

• Like 4
On 4/7/2020 at 9:50 PM, squamptonbc said:

Canada is no longer part of the UK, it is part of the commonwealth which includes the UK and other countries, 50 something if I recall correctly, and Canada accepts the British Monarch as it's own, and Queen Elizabeth 2 is the Queen of Canada, although her role is now essentially ceremonial in nature.

Canada was a British Dominion until 1931 when Canada gained legal freedom and equal standing with England and other commonwealth countries, however Britain still retained power to amend the Canadian constitution. Canada replaced its flag in 1965 with its current red and white maple leaf style.

In 1982 Canada adopted its own constitution and became a completely independent and sovereign nation.

https://www.history.com/news/canada-independence-from-britain-france-war-of-1812

-I am not Canadian, I only live in Canada. American who married a Canadian.

I'm Canadian and you know more than I do lol. My last history class was in high school...so 20 years ago?? Gosh I'm old!!!

I've ordered some substrate for my 10g. It's gonna be a freshwater planted tank with pea dwarf puffers!!!😁 those guys are sooo cute and yet can be sooo mean at the same time lol. I'll cycle the tank than will order the plants and fish at the same time since shipping is like 25$.

• Like 3
squamptonbc

My primary fish stores are running low on livestock, but then considering its been over a month since either received any shipments, not too surprising. I did end up at Petsmart today as I needed some dog stuff, they have no fish and blocked off their tanks, they still looked like they were running but it was hard to tell as the lights were off.

I just wanted some zebra danios for my little indoor pond.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny
On 4/7/2020 at 8:32 PM, Tamberav said:

Glad to know captive will probably be fine. Hopefully more people try captive with the other fish low stock. 

Do you ship fish? Like can I buy from you? 🙂 I don't even know if you have a website or are you local only?

I am wholesale only right now. I'm really not set up to do anything other than box lots airport to airport

5 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

I just wanted some zebra danios for my little indoor pond.

You could always get some feeder guppies or White Cloud Mountain fish for your pond. Feeder guppies might be easier to source right now.

• Like 2
squamptonbc
3 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

I am wholesale only right now. I'm really not set up to do anything other than box lots airport to airport

You could always get some feeder guppies or White Cloud Mountain fish for your pond. Feeder guppies might be easier to source right now.

White Clouds are illegal here in BC, potential invasive species..... They are one of my favorite fish though, but they haven't been sold here in years, although maybe there is a black market for white clouds...ha ha

• Haha 1
StinkyBunny
11 hours ago, squamptonbc said:

White Clouds are illegal here in BC, potential invasive species..... They are one of my favorite fish though, but they haven't been sold here in years, although maybe there is a black market for white clouds...ha ha

I looked at what I have left at the shop, which isn't a whole hell of a lot. My Koi guppies are nice looking top down, Fireline danios are too. I think when this ends, I'm going to order some wild Zebra danios and breed them here. Asian stocks are so inbred that the fish don't last.

• Like 1

Went to one of my LFS and never seen the store so empty of stock! I got the last two small cleaner shrimp. 

I didn't feel pressure to buy TP but I want what I want for my tank so trying to mad grab my last few things on my wishlist. 

• Like 4
StinkyBunny
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Went to one of my LFS and never seen the store so empty of stock! I got the last two small cleaner shrimp. 

I didn't feel pressure to buy TP but I want what I want for my tank so trying to mad grab my last few things on my wishlist. 

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. The problem now is all of the back up stock is gone or will be gone so the supply chain is empty. I'm down to 21 XL Purple tangs, 2 XL Emporer angels, 3 Leopard wrasses a few shrimp gobies and their shrimp. I've been contemplating shutting down 2 of the saltwater fish systems. There has been some rumors of Sri Lanka shipping next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. My shipper says they're shut down for the next 2 weeks. If you're looking for Florida stuff, now is the time to get it. Reeftopia had some good deals a week back, great folks with great stock.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, StinkyBunny said:

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. The problem now is all of the back up stock is gone or will be gone so the supply chain is empty. I'm down to 21 XL Purple tangs, 2 XL Emporer angels, 3 Leopard wrasses a few shrimp gobies and their shrimp. I've been contemplating shutting down 2 of the saltwater fish systems. There has been some rumors of Sri Lanka shipping next week, but I wouldn't hold my breath. My shipper says they're shut down for the next 2 weeks. If you're looking for Florida stuff, now is the time to get it. Reeftopia had some good deals a week back, great folks with great stock.

Here prices have gone up too. Very little choice beside zoas. 

I've been working on my freshwater tank. Put the red seachem Florite...what a mess!!! Didn't realize it was clay. Even after rinsing that stuff everything was red. 2 days later in the tank water was still red. I was not impressed. And I wasn't sold on real plants (can't keep one alive to save myself lol)...well anyway one thing led to another...and there you go, a planted tank!!! I like it, and my kids like it haha. Easy to maintain and the puffers should be fine with it. It's gonna be entertaining for them lol.

20200411_122454.jpg

• Like 3