Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Just read through this thread and I am massively impressed with your build. Huge kudos to you sir. Can't wait to see where you take this spectacular aquarium that you've made for yourself!

I'll be following along for the salty ride. 🙌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
16 hours ago, billygoat said:

Just read through this thread and I am massively impressed with your build. Huge kudos to you sir. Can't wait to see where you take this spectacular aquarium that you've made for yourself!

I'll be following along for the salty ride. 🙌

Thanks 🙏 glad you’re joining this ride!

I’m just utilizing the tools I have available to me. 

(Not build related)

i got tired of looking at my DIY radions so I made a reflector4761CD02-4D54-4B2F-B1CA-18615567919D.thumb.jpeg.5d3771f86abeca1ed544826dcafe3668.jpeg

2DC21C68-CA71-4CA4-AC76-D6F6A3806EEE.thumb.jpeg.a7ca1a605e45d8cdeccae649c4385622.jpeg

ok back to the build!

i removed the “dragons burp” algae out of the back refugium chamber which I havent made a light fixture for yet and I tied a couple of pieces to acrylic rods and stuck them in a couple places around the tank

(yes I know aiptasia😭) I’ll get some berghia  in a couple of months.

4D56604D-EA66-4ABD-B4D2-0EC1AB9FBDD8.thumb.jpeg.cd8f8040747c6fec0c3418c92ab92ea6.jpeg

so I decided to throw a couple of 10$ SPS frags to test the waters and light capabilities. (Whether I need to add and additional AIPrime)

I added two kinds of “cup corals” (I don’t recall their fancy names) and a montipora. I haven’t figured if it’s an encrusting type yet. 

A386BFF4-BFBF-49E2-8A94-E307DDEF2C1D.jpeg

972235DD-1C63-426A-8966-0D2D3073CD5F.jpeg

• Like 5
This guy is extra salty

well I have added a few more softies to the tank. it was passed it bacteria cycle and all of  the macro algae has been growing very well ill probably need to prune them back.

I moved a few others but the one that stayed are the encrusting montis and the  lobo. over the past week I have noticed new growth tissue which was a first for me.

FTS 3/21/2020

IMG_2452.thumb.JPG.a5f857fb6ce3e951d482510db9c867ab.JPG

here is what's inside the shroom box I made two jawbreakers(bottom right) rainbow ricordia (topleft) and a superman discosoma with a teacup macro algae attached

IMG_2425.thumb.JPG.993e30d037dc67c73a83f7c2f16fabd2.JPG

the weeping willow leather is also in this tank which its starting to get acclimated

IMG_2427.thumb.JPG.9d1c582ca7a91db1002b4401964973e4.JPG

I decided to take some macro shot of some baby rainbow ricordias

IMG_2422.thumb.JPG.2372cbbc5b5b30d8e206deac11c7cacc.JPG

moved the rainbow gonipora over also it is way happier in this tank stuff doesn't fall on it anymore

IMG_2457.thumb.JPG.4526e4311ffc79f46bd7395d30a7c49b.JPG

another macro shot of the orange ricordia on the front and center rock

IMG_2421.thumb.JPG.c76f7413f7e033400726991d2cd5c0a0.JPG

• Like 6
  • Wow 1
This guy is extra salty

I think I'm going to buy some freshwater shears to prune the macros does anyone have any suggestions?

and would anyone be interested in said clippings?

(Caulerpa paspaloides, Caulerpa prolifera, Gracilaria hayi)

@inland_reef

@Tigahboy

• Like 3
inland_reef

Tank is looking great!  Love seeing you create magic with acrylic. My single slot frag racks are doing great at keeping them away from the rest of my lps. I’ll gladly snag some algae from ya!

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
14 hours ago, GraniteReefer said:

Your light is so miserably blended!  Is it AI prime only? Running reds high?

I’m running a saxby profile on a AIprimehd with a JBJ actinic t5 I’m getting some promising growth on the montiporas. the light mount is about 15” above the water and the prime is just underneath it. 

79C354E4-51CC-4C7B-B953-9B2ED0639797.thumb.png.c85ff9aac6ba0a6391601ac182945736.png

20 hours ago, inland_reef said:

Tank is looking great!  Love seeing you create magic with acrylic. My single slot frag racks are doing great at keeping them away from the rest of my lps. I’ll gladly snag some algae from ya!

thanks I really appreciate it. when this QT is over you can see it in person. (Again) 😂 

If you just want to drive by I can throw the macros out the window to you (if needed) 

1 hour ago, devaji108 said:

that weeping willow is looking good! 

I hope that tea cup grows for you. went I had my 20L macro tank I wanted to try one. 

I had to move the willow cause it was getting blasted by flow in the main display. It likes the contest tank random flow. I really The teacup algae grows too cause it’s something you don’t really see in a reef tank

• Like 2
This guy is extra salty

I decided to remove one of the top rocks and I swapped it with a smaller rock that has a JB shroom on it. Also it gave room so I can try out some acros behind the gonipora 16C6D3DF-B685-4E10-8A15-C768D7E27AA5.thumb.jpeg.cf5583461b592ffcd811058f2dd9a61f.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
This guy is extra salty

no change over this past week with the exception of the macros growing. everything is stable and I have notice a boom in pod population. I might need to get some more trochus snails so I wont have to clean the glass as often. but this tank has no algae growing on the rock(not that I can tell) but there is a small patch near the shroom jail. I'm still waiting on my scissors to be delivered so I can prune back the macros.

IMG_2592.thumb.JPG.1e0bce0a6af1e123b2297897f4008e88.JPG

FTS 3/28/2020

IMG_2699.thumb.JPG.6f53f23969f89111778a840dc76a1bd8.JPG

• Like 4
This guy is extra salty
14 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

Its a jungle in there.

definitely it is which I will have to be pruning pretty soon, in light of it I wont have to be paying for more sushi nori

9 hours ago, Azur said:

The shroom jail looks so menacing sat up on that ledge 😂

it is very much so best view in house on that ledge. but I have noticed that two are trying to break out (they're about a .125 in diameter)

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

I finally got my aquascaping tools! Now I can prune the macros back which pretty soon they will take over the tank. I’m hoping some locals will take some off my hands

FTS 3/31/2020

B8BE7D90-FD76-48AF-9FFC-E9E03B08FF1C.thumb.jpeg.f6a27a7d8ae98f3e1517e9a1d2e5e0b4.jpeg

• Like 5
The Rainy Day Aquarium

This is looking great! Haha don't tell my freshwater tank, but I use all of my aquascaping tools in my reef tank haha (I rinse them very well of course 😉). I really like the variety of macros you have. Have you had any/anticipate any problems with low nutrients due to all the macro algae?

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
21 hours ago, The Rainy Day Aquarium said:

This is looking great! Haha don't tell my freshwater tank, but I use all of my aquascaping tools in my reef tank haha (I rinse them very well of course 😉). I really like the variety of macros you have. Have you had any/anticipate any problems with low nutrients due to all the macro algae?

I don't think it will get lack of nutrients, it gets a daily WC of about 2-3 gallons. I do dose about 1ml of coral amino daily and feed the pistol shrimp his pellet.  the corals seem to be responding quite well. but for macros literally weeds, it feels like I need to trim them daily. but the good thing is that if and when it does take over its free tang food. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

I don't think it will get lack of nutrients, it gets a daily WC of about 2-3 gallons. I do dose about 1ml of coral amino daily and feed the pistol shrimp his pellet.  the corals seem to be responding quite well. but for macros literally weeds, it feels like I need to trim them daily. but the good thing is that if and when it does take over its free tang food. 

u change the water everyday 3gallons  ?!? 

• Haha 1
This guy is extra salty
4 minutes ago, naothan said:

u change the water everyday 3gallons  ?!? 

Yea give or take some gallons. It’s setup with a AWC. I wanted this tank to be low maintenance. 😂 

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, This guy is extra salty said:

Yea give or take some gallons. It’s setup with a AWC. I wanted this tank to be low maintenance. 😂 

ohhhhhhhhhh awc ... lol i was thinking of me and my 5 gallon bucket everyday  lol 

• Haha 2
On 3/28/2020 at 8:30 PM, This guy is extra salty said:

no change over this past week with the exception of the macros growing. everything is stable and I have notice a boom in pod population. I might need to get some more trochus snails so I wont have to clean the glass as often. but this tank has no algae growing on the rock(not that I can tell) but there is a small patch near the shroom jail. I'm still waiting on my scissors to be delivered so I can prune back the macros.

IMG_2592.thumb.JPG.1e0bce0a6af1e123b2297897f4008e88.JPG

FTS 3/28/2020

IMG_2699.thumb.JPG.6f53f23969f89111778a840dc76a1bd8.JPG

i really like the setup and how jungel/amazon  lots of plants but imo  whats wit the orange tubes  

• Thanks 1
This guy is extra salty
On 4/1/2020 at 10:12 PM, naothan said:

ohhhhhhhhhh awc ... lol i was thinking of me and my 5 gallon bucket everyday  lol 

oh that would be terrible and make me despise doing anything the tank.

automation is great for small tanks like this

On 4/1/2020 at 10:20 PM, naothan said:

i really like the setup and how jungel/amazon  lots of plants but imo  whats wit the orange tubes  

thanks! 

this tank has its flow sponsored by @Vivid Creative Aqautics which is why the nozzles are orange. ( I have black ones too but I like the pop of the orange)

but its mainly to highlight that Im only using a return pump for flow

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty

the macro algae is actually taking off. im wondering if the roots got to the Fiji mud bottom layer? but this weekend im going to trim up the Caulerpa paspaloides to feed my tangs as a special treat also im giving some caulerpa prolifera to @inland_reef

but nothing has changed in the tank.

my only maintenance for the tank is spraying down the mangroves with ro every other day. 

FTS 04/03/2020 

F5BC110C-437C-4F0C-A2B8-6D532B5F42B5.thumb.jpeg.b12243830a1860ea0053298d1bd9fb2b.jpeg

so earlier this week I caught my file fish nipping at the zoa rack  so that was moved onto the partition  in-between the two returns.

F87F27E6-D7B2-46D4-8717-195BDF74437C.jpeg

• Like 3
This guy is extra salty
4 hours ago, debbeach13 said:

I bet the tangs will be happy.

they will be last time I gave them some paspaloides it was a feeding frenzy lol 

2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

Damn, you're getting more growth on those mangroves in saltwater than I am in fresh. 

Looking good!

well mine get wiggled by the flow every minute or so.

I know that some house plants like being moved by the wind, maybe that could be it?

I do have a GE grow bulb as a supplement for the mangroves that is on for four hours. it turns off right before direct sunlight hits the tank 

it could be a number of things but im just happy everything is doing great

• Like 2