Top Shelf Aquatics

7 hours ago, Matteo said:

P1030767.thumb.jpg.da3c251fa2cce3cc6c6ad1711af484bc.jpg

Took another shot under different settings and used pixlr instead for editing. Think its more crisp now and should be at 18.5mbs. 

I like the original better. Both redone photos look too edited to me. Maybe if I hadn't seen the original 1st I might feel differently, but...

• Like 4

It's worth noting that de-noising is lossy, even when done manually (and man is it a PITA to do it manually).

I like both shots, the second doesn't look more edited to me, it just looks as if it was taken using different white-balance and color-correction; that favia legitimately has all those colors. What makes it look odd I think is just how sharp the contrast feels in the image itself, I don't necessarily think that's a result of using a "sharpness" (also lossy) tool either.

The first has my vote because; yellows wash out into greens in our systems and lighting (it just looks more "right" that way, a slight tint of yellow would look best I think), I prefer the soft noise and the soft pixel-borders (not-"sharp") aesthetic when it comes to these animals (as opposed to the kind of "bokeh" effect going on in the final shot's depth-of-field), the borders of the coral also just look more natural when the transition from "in-focus" to "out-of-focus" isn't as harsh.

Just my .02

• Like 4

Interesting. I'd argue the third photo is crisper and actually closer to color than the first photo when it comes to life like look. 

But, it did have more editing done to get noise and color out. 

I'll keep playing with macro shots see what you folks think! 

Don't worry no more of the same favia 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree that noise reduction can make you lose some detail, but with the right lens and exposure in the shot you can maintain a lot of the detail. 
with my new z6 I have no trouble cranking iso and I trust adobe to fix some of the noise created. But you’ll never get rid of it all at higher Iso. 

the rule of thumb I like to follow with any sort of coral photography is to make sure what is black presents as black, same with white. That can get you super close to color accuracy. Then I usually use sliders to tone down or up a specific color to match real life color which is why I personally think your last shot is the best and most realistic looking. Something about having true black just generates so much power in the photo. 

Regardless, shots look great!! Can’t wait to see more!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

They all look a.maze.ing. But that Hellfire torch...OMG. When you need to get rid of a couple of heads to make room for something new, call me!!

Will do! It's already forming new mouths but man torches grow slow at least mine do. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 8:42 PM, Matteo said:

okay third time's the charm I think... lol sorry for the same coral like three times 

1031398215_1030750(1)(1).thumb.jpg.e7b58c18b144c47d6de57ce8f750af6e.jpg

I want that favia

Was there a fancy signature name on it?

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, farkwar said:

I want that favia

Was there a fancy signature name on it?

It looks like a JF top fuel, but I could definitely be wrong; IIRC there are a bunch of similar ones, like bluflame, grafitti, timesplitter, etc. could all be lighting dependent morphs too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 10/23/2020 at 8:56 AM, Matteo said:

Interesting. I'd argue the third photo is crisper and actually closer to color than the first photo when it comes to life like look. 

But, it did have more editing done to get noise and color out. 

I'll keep playing with macro shots see what you folks think! 

Don't worry no more of the same favia 😂

I wouldn't worry too much about it

The NR message board algo takes your beautiful image and derezzes it to 160kb anyway

• Like 2
On 11/23/2019 at 2:50 AM, Matteo said:

Would you guys believe me if I told you I never test my water? 

Did you ever end up testing or run into issues? I skimmed through about 20 pages and didn’t see anything but from April till now your tank has absolutely EXPLODED!!

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, I'm Batman said:

Did you ever end up testing or run into issues? I skimmed through about 20 pages and didn’t see anything but from April till now your tank has absolutely EXPLODED!!

Shhh

Don't tell anyone

I dug out all my 2014 Red Sea tests and Hanna checkers tonight

And ordered up some new Hanna checkers and new reagents

I had an ULR Phosphorus Hanna, I don't know if it's worth the hassle of getting new reagents or not for it

I should get an ICP test done.  But spent that on a Hanna Silica checker instead

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, farkwar said:

Shhh

Don't tell anyone

I dug out all my 2014 Red Sea tests and Hanna checkers tonight

And ordered up some new Hanna checkers and new reagents

I had an ULR Phosphorus Hanna, I don't know if it's worth the hassle of getting new reagents or not for it

I should get an ICP test done.  But spent that on a Hanna Silica checker instead

Wait, why Silica?

1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

Nope! Only just eye ball dose what I dose and that's it! Only issue I ran into recently was excess film algae so I pop phosguard in every now and then

• Like 4