Pod Your Reef

William

On 8/15/2019 at 7:30 AM, debbeach13 said:

It cleans up nice. Can definitely see the zoa's better.

Yea, I have been super busy this summer so it was nice to finally be able to get this little tank back on track 

• Like 3

I picked up a green RFA today. Seems to be doing well. I also put a larger Duncan frag from my main tank into the pico. I think my clown is happy 

Also, here is a pic of my freshwater pico 

9D197B0F-29C0-4820-8CB2-6C050AA8AFA5.jpeg

2F5520A8-DFE5-41A8-9E4B-374C4E29313C.jpeg

435BA304-0160-48DB-B04C-F178B428B94E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, caas1496 said:

Wow, this is a beautiful tank. I am starting to think the other side of my desk from the pico needs a planted tank ...

Do it! I recommend checking out bucceplant.com, or on instagram. I love all of their freshwater tanks 

I think I may try and get a small clam for this tank...anyone have any thoughts? I know I will prob have to supplement with phytoplankton. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, William said:

Do it! I recommend checking out bucceplant.com, or on instagram. I love all of there freshwater tanks 

Well... You have just sent me down the planted tank rabbit hole haha! Thank you for the recommendation

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 4:35 PM, kimberbee said:

Did you ever figure out your salinity issue? My salinity is dropping - no salt creep, and my refractometer is fine. 

Was slow salt creep down the heater cord. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Once the contest ends , I’m thinking I may upgrade this tank to a UNS 60S. ~ 24 x 14x 7 (10 gal). Any thoughts? I would likely try to leave all of my specs the same (maybe upgrade my power head) 

I would plan to keep it on the shelf it is currently on. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, William said:

Once the contest ends , I’m thinking I may upgrade this tank to a UNS 60S. ~ 24 x 14x 7 (10 gal). Any thoughts? I would likely try to leave all of my specs the same (maybe upgrade my power head) 

I would plan to keep it on the shelf it is currently on. 

I love the look of the shallow tanks

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Amphrites said:

If you've the time, money, and space I love lagoon tanks and certainly won't complain about being able to keep watching this reef grow.

I currently have the following on hand:

• Eheim canister filter and glass Lilly pipes
  • Larger 50w heater 
  • Jaebo SW4 wave maker 
  • 5-10 lbs of dry rock

so the initial cost outlay would not be huge, (but I have also been in this hobby for 20 years and know that ill spend $400 without even realizing it). 

I would likely get one of these surface skimmers from Oceanbox Design: https://oceanboxdesigns.com/product/aquaclear-ac70-surface-skimmer/ and place the inflow Lilly pipe in it as well as the ATO sensor. 

On another note, I had ACL reconstruction surgery on Wednesday and have been cooped up in my apt (in pain, and on pain killers) and decided to have a local reefer drop off a rainbow BTA, Green RFA, and orange jawbreaker mushroom (at a really great price).... I will post pics when things settle 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

Here are some better pictures. 

All of these were taken with the polyplab lens kit and reflect how the tank looks to my eye. 

On thing I have noticed recent is how iridescent the red mushrooms have gotten, which I find super cool. 

you can see some of the new additions that I added yesterday. 

03939E89-90AF-4659-B9A7-DC834E5A8F23.jpeg

7DB0C9FB-324A-4CB8-BC75-9FA911E89340.jpeg

B52A9E4F-AE12-4550-8927-D0EC7FB4A5CD.jpeg

93948C6C-B864-48C6-80B3-076E934E8895.jpeg

C7A0DC25-7CB4-4D1D-8509-6BEDDBA6DA0E.jpeg

A6717896-FE24-4A06-B8B4-7782B66CD354.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

One of the big lessons I have learned from this tank is that dragons breath can be used as a very attractive nutrient export option in a display. I trim it down by about a third every week, and without it in the tank I think I would have a much greater problem with pest algae. I started dosing Tropic Marin All-For-Reef about six weeks ago, and I can definitely say that I have seen a significant improvement in both coloration and coral growth since I started dosing it. 

Im currently dosing 2ml of All-For-Reef, 1ml of Acropower and 3 drops of Vibrant weekly. 

• Like 2

Here is an updated picture of both the freshwater planted UNS 3N and my UNS 3N pico 

The color is pretty off due to the competing spectrums put off by both lights messing with my iPhone's optical sensor.

Ewlu+LFDRC290ZM91hHX+Q.jpg

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Poison Dart Frog

Your little tank looks so nice. I just got one of the Mignon 150 filters and a $29 Aquatop reef light to set up another pico. Yours is definitely an inspiration. The layout is excellent. 

• Like 1