Jump to content
William

William’s “why am I doing this” ... old school pico

Recommended Posts

pricewayne
2 hours ago, William said:

The anemone is not cooperating, I had to make a screen for the power filter intake .... 🤦🏻‍♂️.... 

 

Ill be picking up some additional rock today, should hopefully be able to finish the scape. 

2007B968-D206-4375-AEB8-93742F62F03C.jpeg

3903DEAA-0ECD-490D-A766-52D3B79D373A.jpeg

That nem touching the screen 😂 like it knows it’s the last place you want it.

 

Fluval makes a nice pre-filter intake sponge I use in my freshwater to keep my shrimp from getting sucked up — want to say it was like $2 at a LFS.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
William
18 minutes ago, pricewayne said:

That nem touching the screen 😂 like it knows it’s the last place you want it.

 

Fluval makes a nice pre-filter intake sponge I use in my freshwater to keep my shrimp from getting sucked up — want to say it was like $2 at a LFS.

I have a surface skimmer attachment for the power filter in the mail, so hopefully it won’t be an issue when it arrives (unless the anemone somehow is able to fly) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne
1 hour ago, William said:

I have a surface skimmer attachment for the power filter in the mail, so hopefully it won’t be an issue when it arrives (unless the anemone somehow is able to fly) 

Wouldn't put it past em tbh 😉

Share this post


Link to post
William

Did some aquascaping today 

 

Let me know what you think....

 

1EA0859A-60D4-4389-A5F2-B089CAFF73AC.jpeg

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
William

A7AFD1E5-E7A7-4874-B432-1FE1DA43A315.jpeg

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
On 4/21/2019 at 12:56 PM, pricewayne said:

That nem touching the screen 😂 like it knows it’s the last place you want it.

 

Fluval makes a nice pre-filter intake sponge I use in my freshwater to keep my shrimp from getting sucked up — want to say it was like $2 at a LFS.

I love nems, but this is one of the issues I have with them. They move all over tank and usually in my case always get hurt by pumps

5 hours ago, William said:

Did some aquascaping today 

 

Let me know what you think....

 

1EA0859A-60D4-4389-A5F2-B089CAFF73AC.jpeg

Scape looks great, the intake mesh will look good covered in coraline. 

4 hours ago, William said:

A7AFD1E5-E7A7-4874-B432-1FE1DA43A315.jpeg

sweet!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
pricewayne

Diggin the scape - and I second whoever made comment on your sandbed alignment over to your freshwater. Nice touch 👌🏻

 

Could be neat to glue rubble//build rock up around the screen column? 💭

Unless you’re planning to remove to screen column once you have the skimmer attachment.

Share this post


Link to post
William

Found a local reefer with a rainbow anemone for sale at a great price, will pick it up on Wednesday 

 

 

A1A4C5B5-AA9B-4799-A841-1B35BCDE0DB2.jpeg

 

 

*** I love how I have already spent 3x my original budget for the aquarium 

  • Like 5
  • Wow 2

Share this post


Link to post
748S911
9 minutes ago, William said:

Found a local reefer with a rainbow anemone for sale at a great price, will pick it up on Wednesday 

 

 

A1A4C5B5-AA9B-4799-A841-1B35BCDE0DB2.jpeg

 

 

*** I love how I have already spent 3x my original budget for the aquarium 

wao!

Share this post


Link to post
William

Surface skimmer attachment is in place, I kinda hate the black tubing portion of it.... I wish they could make it out of clear piping ..... may think about DIYing something. Does anyone have any experience with 3D printing? I feel like this would be a good option for what I need. 

 

The only other thing I thought about, would be spray painting it white, or off white, with krylon. 

 

 

 

E8E43FA8-E361-4D15-91B3-AF8024BA446A.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
asting

What's the fish?

Share this post


Link to post
seabass

They do sell translucent 3D filament; although it's not really clear.  Still you'd probably like it better than the black, and you could customize the bend.  You'd have to design it in CAD (or have someone do that for you), then find someone to print it for you with a filament that you like.  Unless you are doing everything yourself, it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
1 hour ago, seabass said:

They do sell translucent 3D filament; although it's not really clear.  Still you'd probably like it better than the black, and you could customize the bend.  You'd have to design it in CAD (or have someone do that for you), then find someone to print it for you with a filament that you like.  Unless you are doing everything yourself, it probably wouldn't be cost effective.

Hmm.... I’ll prob just spray paint it then. Krylon fusion is sill regarded as safe for in tank use? 

Share this post


Link to post
William

I also just stopped by my local petco, and found this tiny guy on sale (well they thought he was a peppermint shrimp).

0630279F-8D10-4D44-B11D-96B435447B9B.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
seabass
1 hour ago, William said:

Krylon fusion is sill regarded as safe for in tank use?

Safe once cured, but still capable of being scraped off.

Share this post


Link to post
William

Well the anemone Somehow managed to get I to the surface skimmer intake, couldn’t save it, did a 100% waterchange, hopefully everything else makes it 

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
Scotty Amen

Sorry to hear about the anemone.  

I love the view out your window!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
debbeach13

Sorry about the nem. Nice shrimp addition

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
vlangel
22 hours ago, William said:

Surface skimmer attachment is in place, I kinda hate the black tubing portion of it.... I wish they could make it out of clear piping ..... may think about DIYing something. Does anyone have any experience with 3D printing? I feel like this would be a good option for what I need. 

 

The only other thing I thought about, would be spray painting it white, or off white, with krylon. 

 

 

 

E8E43FA8-E361-4D15-91B3-AF8024BA446A.jpeg

I love the contrast of these 2 tanks!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
On 4/23/2019 at 4:01 AM, William said:

Well the anemone Somehow managed to get I to the surface skimmer intake, couldn’t save it, did a 100% waterchange, hopefully everything else makes it 

Dang, I guess it grew wings. Also, nice purchase on the "peppermint" cleaner

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
William
18 minutes ago, MetaTank said:

Dang, I guess it grew wings. Also, nice purchase on the "peppermint" cleaner

I wasn’t going to correct them, and the shrimp is super small, so perfect for this tank. 

 

Im just about getting the scape where I want it, I may add a bit more sand to the. Back left. What do you think about the scape? 

 

As far as the surface skimmer, I bought another one on Amazon for 9.99 so I’ll cut it down to size and paint it with krylon (white or gray). 

11B0750F-FA15-4D17-A0E2-EA2374FA7118.jpeg

 

My phone is having a really hard time getting good pictures of the tank as the background natural sunlight is interfering. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
20 minutes ago, William said:

I wasn’t going to correct them, and the shrimp is super small, so perfect for this tank. 

 

Im just about getting the scape where I want it, I may add a bit more sand to the. Back left. What do you think about the scape? 

 

As far as the surface skimmer, I bought another one on Amazon for 9.99 so I’ll cut it down to size and paint it with krylon (white or gray). 

11B0750F-FA15-4D17-A0E2-EA2374FA7118.jpeg

 

My phone is having a really hard time getting good pictures of the tank as the background natural sunlight is interfering. 

My phone just has a hard time in general...lol

 

But I like how the scape is coming along. I'm sure once you get things the way you really like them, there will be no question about it.  I really like the island on the right, but the left still looks a little like a rubble pile to me. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

 

No thoughts on blacking out the back of your tank? Will that sunlight be an issue, or are you only running the lights during daylight hours?

 

As for the surface skimmer, it seems like the intake tube on that HOB is pretty narrow. You could probably DIY something with a smaller footprint than the one you bought. I bet you could use the clear plastic "shield" from a T8 or T12 light bulb. They  go for about a buck or two a piece (a four foot piece...lol) at the big warehouse hardware stores

 

And I probably wouldn't correct a Petco employee either, unless they were charging MORE...lol I can't believe I bought coral from Petco...lol...and it's actually a pretty nice frag, though basic

Share this post


Link to post
William

I’m actually going for a semi rubble pile look on the left, plan to have my anemone and maybe a few sps provide the vertical aspect. I added some additional sand to the back left to give it the appearance of a sloping hill. In this build, im attempting to incorporate some of the aquascaping and design methods that employed on my planted pico.  

 

AS far as blacking out the back, I really like the sense of depth that the translucent background gives, and I think that the warm white light that is provided by the sun helps brings out the reds in the coral. Without the ambient sunlight background, I'm not sure I would like the Kessil spectrum. 

 

 

94AC157C-F905-43AB-96CE-8133F2FB99BF.jpeg

150E6D41-5F13-4A41-8962-0A68F65171E8.jpeg

019C1E45-5C06-4706-A7A2-9D78557E0670.jpeg

F3B51E1F-9A03-4AF1-82DA-7143592AEFE6.jpeg

53D2E031-79F3-447F-A051-02C2CE39AE46.jpeg

69A2D5CF-1356-4A89-9295-FF1891803968.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
William

You can kinda see a very basic sketch of how I want them both to look. The red vertical lines represent the Dragons Breath macro that I ordered. It will also eventually end up filtering out a lot of the light coming from the window. 

CEA8B44D-8FD7-4235-8117-A66659D9B716.jpeg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
MetaTank
On 4/24/2019 at 12:12 PM, William said:

You can kinda see a very basic sketch of how I want them both to look. The red vertical lines represent the Dragons Breath macro that I ordered. It will also eventually end up filtering out a lot of the light coming from the window. 

CEA8B44D-8FD7-4235-8117-A66659D9B716.jpeg

Ah, the dragons breath will make a huge difference, and it willl probably appreciate the natural sunlight as well! Good plan!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...