ReefCleaners.org

William

1 minute ago, Tamberav said:

I have gotten really good at killing dino.

It used to feel like a death sentence, but now people seem to be able to deal with it better.

2 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I see it with live rock fairly often too I feel like.

Certainly not limited to dry rock systems.  Maybe due to low nutrient, and more sterile tanks (as reefing methods continue to change).  However, I feel that dinos have become more prevalent lately in the last decade.

6 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

I got dino years ago with all gulf live rock too but a different kind of dino.

Not saying that you misidentified it.  I trust your expertise.  However, I have a feeling that sometimes people claim dinos when it could be stringy cyano, diatoms, or even some other protist.

• Like 4
On 6/5/2019 at 9:21 PM, pricewayne said:

Moved to LA for work just almost a year ago from there. Two of my good friends live in the building on the northwest corner of 50th//8th 👋🏻

That’s my building lol 

3 hours ago, seabass said:

Global warming. :wink:

Nah, it's most likely due to using dry (or man made) rock.  In the past, almost everyone used live rock.  Then (primarily to save money), people started using a mixture of live and dry.  Now (to avoid pests and impact to natural reefs), many people use all dry rock in their tanks.  So there is much less diversity on the rock.  I also speculate that our aggressive coral dips lessen the biodiversity which had been previously introduced with new corals.  This reduced diversity (or competition) could be the reason that more people seem to get dino blooms today.

I 100% agree with this 

• Like 1

I mean, from my understanding at least, just about every tank likely has strains of some form of dino, at the very least many of the symbiotic algae within our coral are dino's. The problem just emerges when, for one reason or another, they end up the dominant form of algae in the tank as they're so resilient and potentially-damaging to inhabitants. It could be that particularly aggressive and resilient strains have been developing in LFS and commercial coral-propagators over the last few decades and, when transferred into our smaller-systems, can temporarily run amok if they take hold. Really hard to know for sure, but I'm not sure it would necessarily have to be caused by sterile or narrow ecosystems as they're one of the most prevalent and resilient forms of life in the oceans lol. Maybe all these aussie corals brought along nasty algae hitchhikers not found when indo was still open for export?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Tamberav said:

I see it with live rock fairly often too I feel like.  Even aged old tanks on reef2reef.

My pico was dry rock so I can forgive that...but my other tanks....the rock has been wet for probably 8 years and I still got it. Its actually completely covered with a light pink coralline and critters but that doesn't show in the pics.

I got dino years ago with all gulf live rock too but a different kind of dino. 

I have gotten really good at killing dino.

Its appearing more and more in the oceans as well so makes sense that even rock straight from the ocean wouldn't prevent it.

They are part of the ecosystem, just takes the right(or wrong) conditions for them to thrive. 

2 hours ago, seabass said:

It used to feel like a death sentence, but now people seem to be able to deal with it better.

Certainly not limited to dry rock systems.  Maybe due to low nutrient, and more sterile tanks (as reefing methods continue to change).  However, I feel that dinos have become more prevalent lately in the last decade.

Not saying that you misidentified it.  I trust your expertise.  However, I have a feeling that sometimes people claim dinos when it could be stringy cyano, diatoms, or even some other protist.

Definitely.

The only real way to diagnose it is with microscope and there are many different types of dino's so treatment and cause varies.

• Like 2

Sorry William.  It's an interesting subject (but one that we should probably take up on a separate thread).

On 5/31/2019 at 12:11 PM, William said:

Next week is going to be stressful though, im moving apartments (upper east side to midtown west) in manhattan. I’ll be moving my RSR nano, and both of my picks..... 😱

How'd the move go?

I do feel they are more common or maybe new strains making it's way though the trade than many years ago and part of the reason we are seeing them is they are just readily hitchhiking in. Typical reef dips used for pests do not harm them.

I remember jedimasters long battle of dino after he introduced live stuff from a mangrove area I believe.

But then fish disease is a lot more prevalent now too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Sorry William.  It's an interesting subject (but one that we should probably take up on a separate thread).

How'd the move go?

I actually don’t mind at all, the increasing prevalence of Dinos in our tanks is something that really interests me, and the first stage of the move is tmro. My RSR nano is currently empty, with all I habitants in a temp tank 

66BF552B-12C4-4F5B-B430-601B1E98E8D5.jpeg

• Like 4

The picos were moved to my new apt last night, no casualties (so far) except for my bettafish who committed suicide last night. 

• Sad 4
1 hour ago, William said:

Pico tanks are in their new spot. Also I guess this counts as my FTS

D3D9E43F-2DD8-43FD-B6EE-FF3F219BEAFA.jpeg

I loved the view from my studio, but my new place Is much larger 

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates, have been super busy with the move and then have been on amen off vacation for the past two weeks, will updates everything when I get back from Provincetown next week 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...