Top Shelf Aquatics

William

13 hours ago, Poison Dart Frog said:

Your little tank looks so nice. I just got one of the Mignon 150 filters and a $29 Aquatop reef light to set up another pico. Yours is definitely an inspiration. The layout is excellent. 

Thank you, I highly recommend the surface skimmer mod. 

S.T. International Aquarium Surface Skimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GR9OYY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_29lMDb7DK1S9C

is the one i use. I cut it so that it has a smaller firm factor in order to fit the small tank. 

• Like 3
On 10/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, William said:

Thank you, I highly recommend the surface skimmer mod. 

S.T. International Aquarium Surface Skimmer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GR9OYY6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_29lMDb7DK1S9C

is the one i use. I cut it so that it has a smaller firm factor in order to fit the small tank. 

Think i need something like this for the Pico, seems my surface skimmer is not working and I have a tank like an oil slick (again)

I know it is a smaller filter with lower flow, but I recently added this tiny guy to my aquamaxx pico. It comes already set up with the surface skimmer, is a perfect tiny size for the tank, and is cheap. I’ve actually purchased several of these now and added one to each of my nano tanks because they really do work. My only complaint is the power cord is really short! 

https://www.amazon.com/FEDOUR-Aquarium-Cascade-Unbreakable-Biochemical/dp/B07SHD1BGN/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=FEDOUR+Aquarium+Cascade+Hang-On+Mini+Filter+for+1-10+Gallon%2C+Unbreakable+Shell+and+Quiet%2CBiochemical+Cotton+Filter&qid=1570455537&sr=8-1

if you plan on using a powerhead anyway I think it is a good option for these little tanks 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, caas1496 said:

Wow the tank looks amazing. Those are some awesome mushrooms. What are your plans for the tank after contest is over?

I had considered upgrading it to a larger tank, but I kinda love the way it looks and it’s incredibly low maintenance. So at this point I will keep it going in it’s current state. I may try to add more SPS corals. 

• Like 2

I agree. I hope you will keep posting updates so we can follow along. Its turning out to be awesome tank. Has it been difficult to keep the SPS you have now happy with such a small water volume?

1 minute ago, caas1496 said:

I agree. I hope you will keep posting updates so we can follow along. Its turning out to be awesome tank. Has it been difficult to keep the SPS you have now happy with such a small water volume?

I had a pretty hard time with them early on. I have thrown some birdsnest trimmings from my Reefer in the pico and they are doing well.  I plan to post updates on this tank for as long as I have it (I guess at the year mark this tank would be old enough to be a contestant for TOTM). 

2 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

Your upset tank looks better than allot of folk's peak lol...

Lol.... I appreciate it. I honestly think having macroalgae in the tank has helped a lot. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I’m jealous of your zoas. They all look great. 

I typically have a hard time with them, but for some reason this tank is the exception. I have found that when I started dosing All for Reef and acropower they started to take off. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

46F3C2AF-1D06-4E11-9784-6F36F8C55282.jpeg

How are those Zoas growing beneath the hob filter? Looks like they're mounted on some form or Orthodontist Brace 

They are attached to the underside of a cup coral 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Hi @William 👋 Can you believe it has been 7 months already? The summer flew by!

This is a friendly reminder to post your final competition FTS and a 1 to 2 paragraph recap of your experience in the pico reef competition (for voting). Be sure to share your future plans for your pico reef as well, will it continue forward or get an upgrade? The competition ends on Sunday October 27th at midnight!

Thank you for being a part of the Old School Pico Reef Competition! ❤️ 

• Like 1

Final FTS:

8BD1420C-5465-4668-8B0E-05BA29DB905A.jpeg

I want to start off by saying that I have really enjoyed this competition. Seeing all of the different ways in which a 2.5 gallon pico aquarium can be set up and maintained has been both informative and entertaining. When I decided to join the competition in April, I did not have a specific plan or idea. I already had an Ultum Nature Systems 3N freshwater planted pico aquarium on my desk at the time and I thought that a saltwater version would look great next to it. I designed the aquascape to somewhat mimic the scape in my planted aquarium. The addition of red dragon's breath macroalgae also assisted in this.  

The tank had some ups and downs in the beginning, with a dinoflagellate outbreak ranking among the worst. I moved apartments in June, and despite a large amount of anxiety on my part, the aquariums did wonderfully. I have really been surprised by how easy this tank is to care for with only a 1 gallon water changes every other week. I believe that one reason for this is due to the macroalgae acting as a source for nutrient export. I have really fallen in love with this tank and I currently have no plans to take it down. I have contemplated upgrading it to a larger UNS tank, but at this time I plan to leave it as it is.

Aquarium specs:

Tank: UNS 3N (2.9 gal) 

Light: Nano-box reef Tide

Filter: Azoo mignon 150 with surface skimmer attachment 

Heater: Marina Compact Heater

Auto-top off: XPAqua 

Circulation: Hydor Pico evo-mag 180

Rock: Rubble from my RSR Nano, "shapes" rock 

Sand: Sand from RSR nano, pulse a small amount of dry special grade 

Dosing (weekly): 

• 2ml Tropic Marin "All-For-Reef"
  • 1ml Acropower 
  • 3 drops of Vibrant 

Inhabitants:

Fish: 

Snow Onyx Clownfish 

47F786C9-4F39-4566-87CB-51A2FA106949.thumb.jpeg.41c0332c569eb7863fe90023ba79179d.jpeg

Inverts: 

Red Mithrax crab

Pom Pom Crab 

Rainbow Bubble-tip Anemone 

Mini-maxi carpet Anemone(s)

Rock Flower Anemone(s)

Various snails

Various hermits 

CCF758D3-55B6-4E4F-8438-DFCFD64C1C14.thumb.jpeg.7ed141a76227d7304d7ed8817f28e9bc.jpeg

DAA3C473-460F-448C-9FEC-668B0712CD1D.thumb.jpeg.37406a87e9f68e5bbd2fb33b3dd58e9f.jpeg

BA6B8D79-7B48-4D8C-9EE9-183866A8EDE6.thumb.jpeg.d8b301a8c092e73999fc18b0b14f3336.jpeg

Coral

Birdsnest

Katopora 

Green acropora 

Orange setosa 

Red pocillopora 

Orange leptastrea 

Green Duncan x2

Dragon soul favia

Zoanthids (random)

Purple frilly gorgonian 

Blastomusa merletti 

Red Iridescent mushroom

Orange Jawbreaker mushroom

Assorted favia

Assorted Chalice

3AAC0E7A-7434-4A51-8E10-3F9E83E5FF2B.thumb.jpeg.9ee3cf202b168149e11edfaa9e0ec6fc.jpeg

539199FF-5005-4532-9201-F5EF8C01A910.thumb.jpeg.e962f53c9b6a5c4117484a8d73ca1362.jpeg

Here is a bonus FTS: 

B112B93A-2129-4E98-A911-30CA3A27C852.jpeg

• Like 19