ReefCleaners.org

Hannah’s tank journal

Hannahhhh

1 hour ago, pricewayne said:

Oh! One more thought — there are also lots of hobbyists that sell frags of their colonies, too. I’ve started writing down any I find — @battlecorals on Instagram is one I absolutely want to buy from once I upgrade systems. It’s nice because it’s pretty easy to find pictures of their frags in other peoples tank by searching Instagram for their hashtag or looking at their tagged pics.

That’s a great idea, thank you!

2 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Tidal Gardens and World Wide corals are pretty straight-shooters too best I can tell, I get to cheat a little because I have experience with digital photography and image-editing/graphic design (doesn't show at all in my own pictures though *audible eyeroll*). Just exercise caution around those trying to turn the hobby into a rich-kids club imo. The impact of the "moral" marketplace on reefkeeping is pretty frustrating as it can make the hobby an almost-unapproachable hotbed of near-scams and poor-investments easily-capable of sucking all the joy out of the experience and otherwise killing any enthusiasm or interest newcomers might have. Sadly, to some extent, the commercial side of the hobby has always been that way, that's why there are so many DIY and "cheapskate" hobbyist channels, books, and enthusiasts out there.

Edit ohhh and to clarify, that frag plug isn't actually blue lol, it's definitely the same cheap-ceramic white you see all the time, and that's precisely why you can't really take that image at face-value.

Edit, Edit: To clarify I'm not hating on those who are trading in the rare and ultra-high-end corals, they have as legitimate a business as anyone else in the hobby trying to source and propagate hyper-specific strains. But the simple reality is that, while his are supermans with a pink-center, that doesn't mean they're worth "what people are willing to pay" unless they-themselves paid something approaching that for them to begin with, full-disclosure they may have lol. But you prefaced your statement with the central theme that they weren't worth that to you, and now I'm rambling to avoid steppin' on toes or getting misinterpreted, my kingdom for a single succinct bone in this body...

Haha yes I figured out that the frag plug wasn’t blue as soon as you mentioned that! I’m glad you pointed it out, since I wouldn’t have even thought to look for that. 

And yes, I agree. I can’t imagine a single polyp of that zoa being “worth” $150, even though they’re so very pretty. I suppose if I was a billionaire I would buy it, and maybe there are enough people out there willing to spend that kind of money that it becomes worth it to sell for so much. 

• Like 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
8 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Humm, mine are actually fairly translucent as well, though some indo are known for that when they extend more-fully, always thought bleaching tentacles involved them turning white and losing pigment, not just becoming more see-through. 

I was looking into for a while. I'm still not clear on if there is something wrong with them. I have one hammer that isn't. I have a frogspawn I bought that is bright green but see through when fully extended. My other frogspawn is the same way, see through green with purple tips. My little experiment is to see if I drop the par will they become less transparent and keep same colors..

• Like 1

Well I was a bad tank owner today... I came home from work and looked at my tank and thought hmm, all my corals look angry. I stuck my hand in to move something and immediately realized my tank was cold. Like 68.9°. Turns out I must have accidentally unplugged my heater this morning 😫 I plugged it back in and floated some bags of hot water to bring the temp back up. It’s at 75 right now. I thought about doing a water change with warm water, but I didn’t want to stress my corals out even more with a rapid temp change. Fortunately everyone looks ok except for my green birdsnest coral who is starting to bleach more significantly. That’s been going on since I added the prime though. I just moved it down to the sand, and I’ll look into what to do tomorrow. If anyone has any advice, please let me know!

Also, I saw my tube coral extended for the first time tonight! 

4C6B1043-7672-4197-8D6C-88BD71169C0E.jpeg

9BBEEC16-3BDD-410B-9131-C1140480F953.jpeg

6299D2D8-8FA0-4029-9849-E5AECA371659.jpeg

• Sad 1

Seems you probably caught things quickly enough that little harm was done, you keep your house awfully cold though XD 75-76 in here year-round. You might want to check the flow on the birdsnest they can have internal dieoff if it's not getting enough movement, otherwise I would expect other corals to be bleaching from the prime if it were turned up too high, that said some birdsnest actually prefer lower lighting compared to others so it's hard to say for certain.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Amphrites said:

Seems you probably caught things quickly enough that little harm was done, you keep your house awfully cold though XD 75-76 in here year-round. You might want to check the flow on the birdsnest they can have internal dieoff if it's not getting enough movement, otherwise I would expect other corals to be bleaching from the prime if it were turned up too high, that said some birdsnest actually prefer lower lighting compared to others so it's hard to say for certain.

It’s probably 70 in my room, but my window was open and I had a fan going so it cooled off pretty quickly. 

Birdsnest corals tend to have difficulties to adapt to changes in lightning so as Amphrites said you should put it in a less exposed spot for a while!

Here's a recent topic you might want to check

• Like 3

Good thing you caught it early! Hopefully the birdsnest will recover.

If my tank maintenance involves unplugging equipment, I make sure I have labelled all my plugs so I don't get things mixed up.

• Like 2
18 hours ago, yoshii said:

If my tank maintenance involves unplugging equipment, I make sure I have labelled all my plugs so I don't get things mixed up.

That’s a smart idea, I think I’ll do that today! 

• Like 1

My clownfish is such a 💩. He is so aggressive to my hand and takes such joy in biting it anytime I put my hand in the tank. Sometimes he gets so into it that he does a flying leap at me. Last night, I pushed aside the tank cover and he hurled himself at me with such force that he went flying out of the tank! It took me a second to realize he wasn’t in the tank anymore, but then I spotted him looking stunned and cute as can be on my floor. I plopped him back in and he went right back into a hand biting frenzy. I think “he” is probably a “she” now, considering how territorial she is. I think I’m gonna name her Cujo 

1AAAD0DD-424A-4873-917D-F80F7021BA52.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, 748S911 said:

Red discosoma, and green hairy mushroom. 

I googled green hairy mushrooms, mine don’t look hairy like most of those ones do. Maybe it’s just a slightly different variety though?

57 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Those are great pics too, how are you liking the AI prime? Your corals are looking great!

Thanks! I’m very happy with the ai prime. My only issue is that for a beginner, it can be really complicated to figure out a lighting schedule. There are TONS of tutorials online and lots of advice on picking a schedule, it’s just that so many of the lighting schedules are wildly different that it’s overwhelming trying to pick a schedule. At the same time though, I think that’s also the beauty of having a prime, as I get more knowledgeable about reefing and try other types of coral, the prime will let me easily adjust my lights. 

I ended up going with a modified version of the David Saxby light schedule. The main way that I modified it was by lowering the intensity of all the different colors (my tank is small so I don’t need them at 100%) and leaving a tiny bit of UV light on at all times. The guy at my local reef store suggested that and he’s super knowledgeable. 

FDC3E610-9C0A-4B0A-B12E-A193230D38B7.jpeg

Green rhodactus mushroom*

That's awesome to hear that your loving your prime!! 

That's the beauty of it, if you don't like the settings you can always change it down the road and it's totally customizeable in an instantly!

Back then you would need to buy all new t5 bulbs and different metal halide bulbs to get the specific look and color to your system and that was super expensive at 90-130 bucks a metal halide bulb and 35-40 bucks a t5 tube and usually you would need 4 t5 bulbs and 2 mh bulbs on a 4 foot fixture.. yikes! 

• Like 1

The Halides gave you a great hand tan though.
I'll just lazy quote Tidal Gardens here "Lighting is a loaded topic" lol... 
I'm running AB+ with a 5 hour max-intensity peak and a 45 ramp-up because it grows animals and anyone who says differently has other issues going on, then I ramp it down to a blue-heavy moonlight by the 8-hour mark since corals don't really take in light at any efficiency past that. (And the blues make my euphyllia look SO good...) Really if you keep it consistent and your animals are happy it doesn't matter.

*Edit* Modified BRS schedules all look about the same haha, here's my weirdo for euphyllia color in the PM 61023713_2300442656665188_3480181467026292736_n.jpg.e9ad547321c4def5a40fc5de35e7a65c.jpg

Edited by Amphrites
Might as well show my schedule, sorry Hannah lighting is guaranteed hijack >_<
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Amphrites said:

The Halides gave you a great hand tan though.
I'll just lazy quote Tidal Gardens here "Lighting is a loaded topic" lol... 
I'm running AB+ with a 5 hour max-intensity peak and a 45 ramp-up because it grows animals and anyone who says differently has other issues going on, then I ramp it down to a blue-heavy moonlight by the 8-hour mark since corals don't really take in light at any efficiency past that. (And the blues make my euphyllia look SO good...) Really if you keep it consistent and your animals are happy it doesn't matter.

Lmao!! sure did!!  I had to take breaks aquascaping hahahaha 😂

I running same ab+ schedule that was given to me by @This guy is extra salty

• Like 3

I hadn’t seen my candy cane shrimp in at least two weeks and totally assumed he was dead. Low and behold, look who just appeared!! 😊😊😊 I cant believe he managed to disappear for so long in such a tiny tank! Anyway, I’m feeling very happy now! 

BE8D9B2A-D06F-40AB-93CF-919A5E6F72AC.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Such a cool fish :wink:

I know I love it! It’s like having an eel without having to worry about all my other fish getting eaten!

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 hours ago, Hannahhhh said:

I know I love it! It’s like having an eel without having to worry about all my other fish getting eaten!

Hah yeah that's a good point 👌

• Like 1