Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tybee Island old school contest tank Retired

kimdawg

10 minutes ago, billygoat said:

That's absolutely amazing that you can find legit Megalodon teeth right there on your island! I'm sure there are collectors that would be chomping at the bit to get ahold of those! 😁 That's super cool.

Awesome tank too! I don't check the Pico Reefs forum as often as I should, and I feel like I am really missing out. Your collection of zoanthids is really stunning. I'll be following along! 

Thank you for the kind comments.  I am sad to see the contest is over at the end of this month.  Be sure to come back and vote for someone starting Nov. 1st.  We feel pretty lucky to be living here.  The water is not pretty and crystal blue like some places but you can always see cool things on the water or beaches.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I thought I would add a picture with my daughter's shark teeth she found on an island here at Tybee.  We have found several hundred but these are the two biggest.

736269810_shartooth.thumb.jpeg.0ac3e6131346d69ca5953e741f39a565.jpeg

I plan to do a final clean and water change this weekend.  I hope to get rid of more of the algae and do a rock rearrange before we have to post final full tank shot.

The zoas look great! And the megalodon teeth are amazing. Any shots of your whole collection?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, SeaFurn said:

I can’t believe it’s almost over. Are you going to keep the tank running when the contest is over?

Those teeth are awesome btw! 

Need to come visit! 

I plan on keeping it running, but a may eventually move it to a slightly wider tank.  The width of the real 2.5 gallon tank makes it really hard to aquascape. You are only about 3 hours from us come on down and we will take you around the island in the golf cart and around the water in the boat.  We take friends to shark tooth and to see the dolphins all of the time.  Maybe I can buy some RFA from you at the same time!

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, caas1496 said:

The zoas look great! And the megalodon teeth are amazing. Any shots of your whole collection?

We give a bunch of the smaller ones away to kids on the beach.  I love to see the happy faces when we hand them one, but I will pull the box out some time and take a picture.  My daughter has a bunch of the ones she found at the elementary school where she councils.  She has younger eyes and sees them better than we do.  Some of hers or not much bigger than a pin head.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, kimdawg said:

We give a bunch of the smaller ones away to kids on the beach.  I love to see the happy faces when we hand them one, but I will pull the box out some time and take a picture.  My daughter has a bunch of the ones she found at the elementary school where she councils.  She has younger eyes and sees them better than we do.  Some of hers or not much bigger than a pin head.

I love beach combing looking for sharks teeth, have never found a Megaoadon tooth though :(Can find plenty of Mako and Great Whites around me and smaller species

• Like 2

We find a lot that are not the older teeth but I don't know which sharks they come from.  We have found really old bones too.  I think some are from whales and pieces of turtle shell and other stuff that I don't even know where they come from.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Christopher Marks

Hi @kimdawg 👋 Can you believe it has been 7 months already? What a journey!

This is a friendly reminder to post your final competition FTS and a 1 to 2 paragraph recap of your experience in the pico reef competition. Be sure to share your future plans for your pico reef as well, will it continue forward or get an upgrade? The competition ends on Sunday October 27th at midnight!

Thank you for being a part of the Old School Pico Reef Competition! ❤️ 

• Like 1

I will have the final tank shot up by Sat. night I hope.  Are we putting the shot and write up in a new post at the end of the thread or putting it in the first post of the thread?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

Are we putting the shot and write up in a new post at the end of the thread or putting it in the first post of the thread?

I was thinking @Christopher Marks would start a new voting thread, so that voters wouldn't "have" to visit each of the contestant's threads.  However , we could all add a link back to our build threads in our posts to make it easier for other members to check out more details.

• Like 4

I would like to begin by saying thank you to Christopher Marks, Nano-Reef, and all of the forum members that encouraged and gave helpful advice during the contest.  We started this journey with a photo shoot at Tybee Island Lighthouse and it has become my favorite and most successful tank.  I plan to keep it running in the future.

GOALS

I joined this contest because the old school "janky tank" reminded me of the joy of my first fish tank.  My goals were to create and maintain a tank by myself, not spend a lot of money, become more active on the forum, and have my husband learn to take better photos of my tank.  The new challenges I faced were running a bare bottom tank, using a HOB filter, working with a tiny cheap LED, and aquascaping in such a small space.

RESULTS

I was amazed at the growth and colors that I got  out of these small cheap frags.  After fighting flatworms and several types of algae. I learned weekly 1 gallon water changes, careful feeding, dipping all frags, and keeping my hands out of the tank was the key to success!  My livestock includes hermits, snails, peppermint shrimp, pom pom crab, porcelain crab, and a clownfish that eventual moved to a larger tank and was replaced by Mr. Blue Fish a damsel.  The biggest difficulty I had was aquascaping in the six inch width of this tank, but I am so excited that I got enough growth out of the tank that I have been able to move several frags to my larger tank.

Final FTS1.thumb.jpg.fdc951f2d74eb289fbf4def7c84dc395.jpg

Top down shot3.thumb.jpg.55eda5507dcb3934f25fe4d5d9af50f0.jpg

Extra photos for fun

9.thumb.jpg.a3b452f5179be2bdc85d9dd0d1fd7502.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.72c70f7d96a97a327c8bbea965046db3.jpg

5.thumb.JPG.b2e7690f9b3dbbf5d3e451e5cd9f4042.JPG

10.thumb.jpg.7d2e2ee545538c580e0a69bb5082eb56.jpg

We are still not great at getting good photos, but I tried to include some under both blue and white lights.  I run the tank with all blue and attribute a lot of the growth to the blue lights.

• Like 15
  • Wow 5
16 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I would like to begin by saying thank you to Christopher Marks, Nano-Reef, and all of the forum members that encouraged and gave helpful advice during the contest.  We started this journey with a photo shoot at Tybee Island Lighthouse and it has become my favorite and most successful tank.  I plan to keep it running in the future.

GOALS

I joined this contest because the old school "janky tank" reminded me of the joy of my first fish tank.  My goals were to create and maintain a tank by myself, not spend a lot of money, become more active on the forum, and have my husband learn to take better photos of my tank.  The new challenges I faced were running a bare bottom tank, using a HOB filter, working with a tiny cheap LED, and aquascaping in such a small space.

RESULTS

I was amazed at the growth and colors that I got  out of these small cheap frags.  After fighting flatworms and several types of algae. I learned weekly 1 gallon water changes, careful feeding, dipping all frags, and keeping my hands out of the tank was the key to success!  My livestock includes hermits, snails, peppermint shrimp, pom pom crab, porcelain crab, and a clownfish that eventual moved to a larger tank and was replaced by Mr. Blue Fish a damsel.  The biggest difficulty I had was aquascaping in the six inch width of this tank, but I am so excited that I got enough growth out of the tank that I have been able to move several frags to my larger tank.

Final FTS1.thumb.jpg.fdc951f2d74eb289fbf4def7c84dc395.jpg

Top down shot3.thumb.jpg.55eda5507dcb3934f25fe4d5d9af50f0.jpg

Extra photos for fun

9.thumb.jpg.a3b452f5179be2bdc85d9dd0d1fd7502.jpg

11.thumb.jpg.72c70f7d96a97a327c8bbea965046db3.jpg

5.thumb.JPG.b2e7690f9b3dbbf5d3e451e5cd9f4042.JPG

10.thumb.jpg.7d2e2ee545538c580e0a69bb5082eb56.jpg

We are still not great at getting good photos, but I tried to include some under both blue and white lights.  I run the tank with all blue and attribute a lot of the growth to the blue lights.

looks great. 😊 I love the zoas in that last pic

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

keeping my hands out of the tank was the key to success! 

I second this. The less I mess with things the happier the tank is. You have produced some amazing results! I also love the zoas in your last pic. Do they have a name?

16 minutes ago, caas1496 said:

I second this. The less I mess with things the happier the tank is. You have produced some amazing results! I also love the zoas in your last pic. Do they have a name?

I have seen them called blueberry explosions and daisy cutter.  When I first put them in the tank they had green skirts and just a little color in the center.  The blue light has really helped them color up.

• Like 1

Such a gorgeous tank!

And the colour is stunning. I'm so happy for you and the joy that your tank creates in your life. And even happier still that you're going to keep it running.

Best of luck for the competition!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Such a gorgeous tank!

And the colour is stunning. I'm so happy for you and the joy that your tank creates in your life. And even happier still that you're going to keep it running.

Best of luck for the competition!

Thank you Tempestas, for the kind comments.  I love the color that has developed in these cheap zoas.  The tank does make me happy just to look at it and it is easy to take care of.

Where did everybody go?  Since the contest is over this forum is like a ghost town.  Is anyone moving their livestock and shutting down already.  My little janky tank is happy and still growing.  I am working on making every bit of the algae go away.  I think it looks better everyday.

• Like 2

I'm glad you're going to keep it going - it has been looking awesome! I have moved my corals into a temporary setup for holding and fish into new homes. I was planning on sharing. I'm planning to do some changes to the initial setup and get it going again soon.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

I'm glad you're going to keep it going - it has been looking awesome! I have moved my corals into a temporary setup for holding and fish into new homes. I was planning on sharing. I'm planning to do some changes to the initial setup and get it going again soon.

Thanks!  I can't wait to see what changes you make.  I will move little blue fish when he gets bigger into my 75 and add another small fish to the pico.  I use it to make sure the new fish is healthy and let them grow before adding to the bigger tank.  The 75 currently has 6 fish all less than an inch and a half long.  I think I could have 10-12 fish in there total.

• Like 2