Coral Vue Hydros

Tybee Island old school contest tank Retired

kimdawg

2 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Thanks Christy, he held it against the glass for some of them but was trying different arrangements of gels and filters.  The best shot he got was the full tank shot, it was taken from about four feet with a yellow filter.  I just want him to get the shots like other people do of close up coral with the great colors.

Tell him to keep practicing.... he’ll get the hang of it. 😊 sometimes I take 10 different pics to end up with one decent pic. 😄

• Like 2

I just got a fish for Mother's Day that will go in the pico.  His name is Mr. Wiggles.  I will have pictures of him on water change Wednesday.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I just got a fish for Mother's Day that will go in the pico.  His name is Mr. Wiggles.  I will have pictures of him on water change Wednesday.

Yaaaay Mother’s Day fish! Lookin forward to pics of Mr Wiggles! I just got a fish too, they bring so much life to the pico!

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,  I have not posted in awhile but the little janky tank is doing great.  I finally have names for everyone and an update on what is in the tank.

Mr. Wiggles   clown fish

Pick Pocket   peppermint shrimp

Limpy       limpet snail

Thing 1 and 2   blue and red hermits

Miss No See-um    pom pom crab

several mixed types of snails

I original added

eleven types of zoas (1-8 polyps of each kind)

eight riccordea

one head of duncan

and one rock flower anemone

The clown fish will transfer to my 75 in a few weeks.  I just want to make sure he is healthy and growing before I put him in there. The coral are all growing I have at least eleven riccs in there now and the zoas have grown lots of new polyps.  Now on to this weeks pictures.

First a picture of Mr. WigglesIMG_6317.thumb.JPG.0d3041006537c8d72073121e52cf22e0.JPG

And a few of the full tank pics

IMG_6318.thumb.JPG.f558a400d3f65f78f64723dfa124b285.JPG

IMG_6315.thumb.JPG.f090b70ac2d66a36925981edc1c67e6c.JPGIMG_6313.thumb.JPG.33a11a79e94ebe5fa85160c0ee5d3f05.JPG

The clown likes to stay around the riccs on the left side of the tank.  He will push thing one and two off of them if they try to clean those rocks.

IMG_6312.JPG

• Like 8
52 minutes ago, 748S911 said:

Looking amazing!

Thanks!  It has been really easy to take care of.  I top off twice a day feed something to the tank daily and change about 2/3 gallon of water every week.

• Like 1

Same here, super easy tank... I top off like every other day, dose amino acids daily, and waterchanges every week. Pretty low maint.

• Like 1

We have been hitting 98 for several days in a row here, so between the high temp and the air running a good bit I loose at least a half cup of water a day.  I would love to get an ATO but don't need to spend the money on the super tiny one right now.

Wow, so many corals & they look great!

Your little clown is so cute!

Really interesting that he quickly calmed his territory & is taking it very seriously, lol (;

46 minutes ago, Wendy said:

Wow, so many corals & they look great!

Your little clown is so cute!

Really interesting that he quickly calmed his territory & is taking it very seriously, lol (;

Thanks Wendy.  He is funny to watch because the biggest hermit shell is almost as big as the clown and he will nudge it until it falls of his ric rock.  I like the mix of corals that I have a lot.  I would like to get 2-3 really colorful zoas and maybe one more RFA and that will be it for this tank.  I will change out the fish in a few weeks and when I add this one to the 75 I will pick out another small fish for this tank.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tempestas said:

Such a colourful selection of corals.

Thank you,   they are mostly cheap little frags but they are coloring up nicely in this tank.  I am able to feed this tank more because I change about half of the water each week.

• Like 1

Does anyone else have a pom pom they never see?  I call mine Miss No-See um for a reason.  I only see her when I take some or all of the rock out of the tank to change water.  Pick pocket comes out at the sight of any food, but I kinda enjoy all of the movement in the tank now.

11 hours ago, Wingy said:

Mine is usually under the ledge it has claimed or getting into mischief.  

My pom pom has been in the tank over a month and half, and I have seen it one time just out in the tank.  I see it each time I take out rock to deep clean the tank.  I must have the most timid crab out of the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have been out of town for a week so I thought I would update for June after catching up on all of the contest tanks.  I left my husband with the tank and almost everything seems to have survived.  I can not find my RFA, but it was so tiny and it may have just moved for the first time.  I have not added anything in over a month so I will just post pictures to show growth and shots of some of the janky tank crew.196662879_mpIMG_6386.thumb.JPG.0c876a3a0beaa52dd0b5c60c68970e56.JPGThis is the first pic we have been able to get of Thing One the red hermit. He finally moved to the left side of the tank because the clown knocks him off of her rock on the right side.

30118870_mpIMG_6390.thumb.JPG.ae68d754d0c63d87d621583b04500984.JPG

This is a top down shot that really shows how the zoas are beginning to fill in the rocks.

1026385962_mpIMG_6395.thumb.JPG.da68a542b21292f0e5fdeb9fa00a0fe1.JPG

Another top down showing off some of the zoas.

424206123_mpIMG_6402.thumb.JPG.d084a79aa79d31fcd53b89bdea0d9d8d.JPG

This is a blurry picture of Pick Pocket, where every he goes he reeks havoc. But he is fun to watch.

IMG_6387.thumb.JPG.fa880201a29fc4951e9a649c49d4ee00.JPG

And for the last shot June's Full tank shot.

This may be the last pic. with Mr. Wiggles because I hope to move him to the 75 this week.  I will be looking for another small fish for this tank soon.

• Like 7
  • Wow 1

Awesome shot from the top! Everything is looking quite healthy in your pico. You did a wonderful job with the rockwork and placement of those plugs - it's so cool that you were able to get all those full colonies in there and get it to look so natural. That barnacle frag rack makes me smile - you really did pack this thing nicely   :]

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wendy said:

Looks fantastic! Glad everything did well while you were out of town!

2 hours ago, 748S911 said:

Wow your tank is like a zoa heaven, it’s looking really great.

1 hour ago, Wonderboy said:

Awesome shot from the top! Everything is looking quite healthy in your pico. You did a wonderful job with the rockwork and placement of those plugs - it's so cool that you were able to get all those full colonies in there and get it to look so natural. That barnacle frag rack makes me smile - you really did pack this thing nicely   :]

Thanks for the kind comments, I  am finally very happy with the rock placement.  I think it is rock version 6.0.  Wonderboy the zoas only had from 1-8 heads each to begin with.  I took frags that I had growing in my 75 tank and just broke a frag off of them.  I ordered zoas from salt critters and ricordea from gulf coast system.  I add something to the water for them every day.  Most of them are adding a new polyp each week.  I wondered if anyone would notice my barnacle frag rack.  I live at the beach and every so often I will find a nice barnacle piece.

I think it is amazing how much other people are growing in these small tanks.  This is the smallest tank by far that I have every had.  I thought I would have all kinds of problems with it and the only problem so far is trying to not knock the rock over when trying to clean in there.

• Like 2

I noticed a few of tan/brownish flatworms on some of my ricordea tonight.  Does anybody have a suggestion on the best way to get rid of them in a stocked tank of this size?

• Like 1

I have those flatworms too.. I just keep vacuuming them out & use paper towel pieces to swipe them off the glass.

I'm not fustrated enough to do anything more radical right now, but check out 

748S911's pico thread... He dipped his corals & live rock in Bayer today. 

I'm interested to see how his pico does over the next couple weeks.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

I noticed a few of tan/brownish flatworms on some of my ricordea tonight.  Does anybody have a suggestion on the best way to get rid of them in a stocked tank of this size?

I had a break out that were munching on my coral. so they had to go. 

1 hour ago, Wendy said:

I have those flatworms too.. I just keep vacuuming them out & use paper towel pieces to swipe them off the glass.

I'm not fustrated enough to do anything more radical right now, but check out 

748S911's pico thread... He dipped his corals & live rock in Bayer today. 

I'm interested to see how his pico does over the next couple weeks.

I'm interested too, and hopefully all goes well.   

Critical next couple of weeks coming up. :scarry:

• Like 1

I would like to dip the rock in something as I do a complete water change, but I am not sure what to use that would kill the flatworms but would not nuke the tank.  I don't think I am brave enough to dip them in Bayer yet.  I may start  by shaking the rocks in the old saltwater to knock some of them off.  It is time to move the clown fish  to my bigger tank, and I may try to find a really small sixline wrasse or springer damsel to put in this tank for a few weeks.  I only have 3 fish in my 75 gallon so I could put it in there after a couple of weeks.  The only problem with a wrasse is that my tank is a bare bottom so the damsel might be a better choice.

• Like 2