Cultivated Reef

Tybee Island old school contest tank Retired

kimdawg

I have not got any zoas on the bottom yet but I do have several ricordea growing on the bottom.  I have the zoas on the rock now but would love to have them growing on the bottom eventually.  I also have some gsp that I want to grow on the bottom.  I am guilty of moving my rocks around a lot and that is interrupting some of my coral growth I think.

I plan to keep this tank up long term as long is it will grow.  I would love to see it cover the rock and bottom one day.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been keeping my hands out of the tank for two weeks and things are looking pretty good in there.  I am going to get my August FTS up tomorrow.  If this crazy hurricane doesn't go away it could be the last pics of it.  I lost pretty much most of my tank stuff after the last hurricane, but if it does come this way I can at least put this tank in a bucket and take it with me.  I started this journey with a photo shoot ride with the tank, but I hope it doesn't end that way.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
On 8/17/2019 at 10:54 AM, Juno said:

I'm heading your way for Labor Day weekend. My first visit...

Great little tank!

Juno are you still coming here this weekend?

Watching the weather channel and just added flatworm exit to the tank.  I still have some on the riccordea even after adding little blue fish so I decided to go this route.  I placed an order for it, chem clean, coral dip, coral food, and phyto.  I have never used these but wanted to take care to not get these again after I get rid of them this time.  We took the August full tank shot first in case I nuke the tank.august_fts.thumb.JPG.d6db6382d2d12f220418a3d12298937e.JPGt

You can see the hair algae on the top left zoa frag and the flat worms on the far right rics.  I hope to get these issues under control quickly, but on a positive note I can see a lot of growth on the zoanthids this month.

• Like 5
34 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

Watching the weather channel and just added flatworm exit to the tank.  I still have some on the riccordea even after adding little blue fish so I decided to go this route.  I placed an order for it, chem clean, coral dip, coral food, and phyto.  I have never used these but wanted to take care to not get these again after I get rid of them this time.  We took the August full tank shot first in case I nuke the tank.august_fts.thumb.JPG.d6db6382d2d12f220418a3d12298937e.JPGt

You can see the hair algae on the top left zoa frag and the flat worms on the far right rics.  I hope to get these issues under control quickly, but on a positive note I can see a lot of growth on the zoanthids this month.

Can you pull that one plug out and treat the algae directly? Everything else looks pretty good. 😊

• Like 2

I am going to manually keep pulling it off of the plug and I added extra snails and hermits from reef cleaners today.  Of course the hair algae is only on the my favorite plug of zoas.  They are blueberry explosions and my only named frag of zoas.  I am afraid if I treat with peroxide it will kill them.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I am going to manually keep pulling it off of the plug and I added extra snails and hermits from reef cleaners today.  Of course the hair algae is only on the my favorite plug of zoas.  They are blueberry explosions and my only named frag of zoas.  I am afraid if I treat with peroxide it will kill them.

I would remove the plug and pluck off as much algae as possible and then spot treat it with peroxide and a q tip. No need to get it on the zoas. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

Zoanthids are usually very tolerant of 1:1 (peroxide to saltwater) dips.

I am going to pick the algae everyday for a week and blow off the rocks everyday to keep them clean and if it is still growing I will try a peroxide dip.  I will have to read up and make sure I have the right kind first.   These next few days I don't want to do anything to stress the tank because Tybee Island is coastal Georgia and I may have to put the tank in a bucket and move it off the island.  We find out tomorrow if we have mandatory evacuation.  I hope I will not get kicked out of the contest if I have to break it down to move for a few days.  It will have to live in a bucket while we move it, and I will sit it back up as is when we get back home if we have to leave.  If we stay and just lose power We have a good generator that I can use to run the pumps every several hours.  It is gassed and ready to go if needed.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
2 hours ago, kimdawg said:

I hope I will not get kicked out of the contest if I have to break it down to move for a few days.

I'd have no problems with you doing that, and wouldn't think that'd disqualify you.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

I'd have no problems with you doing that, and wouldn't think that'd disqualify you.

It's not like I am going to win or anything.  I am just really enjoying being involved in the group/contest and would want to stay within the guidelines of the contest.  I have a bare bottom tank so I will not have to worry about the sand causing a crash.  I lost my tank stand and most of the stuff in my 29 gallon tank during Irma two years ago, between the water in the house and power outages.  Our island is only 8 feet above sea level so it won't take much wave action to wash the island again.

I plan to take two rubber made totes with us one for the janky tank and one for the removable corals and rocks out of my 75 gallon.  We will go about an hour inland to my daughters house.  If anyone has any suggestions about moving and temporary set ups please chime in.  I will take salt for water changes if necessary but I would have to use tap water to make new saltwater.  This will effect tank quality but hopefully won't cause a crash.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

If anyone has any suggestions about moving and temporary set ups please chime in.

Transfer any fish separately.  Bag any loose corals in bags during transport.

• Like 6
2 hours ago, seabass said:

Transfer any fish separately.  Bag any loose corals in bags during transport.

I had not thought about that, I was planning on just putting it in the container all together.  It makes sense to bag everything by itself that way livestock doesn't get caught under the rock if it moves around.  I really had not thought thru the logistics of the move.  We already have a governor ordered evacuation starting tomorrow afternoon.  We will not be able to leave until late Tues.  because my husband is responsible for boarding up the buildings on the ground at the light house.  We will pack and leave after he takes care of securing our property.  I have very limited use of my left arm so all I can do is bag my livestock and move small or very light stuff.   If you think of any more tips please let me know.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, kimdawg said:

If you think of any more tips please let me know.

Please be safe and take care of yourselves.  Hurricanes are unpredictable.  When you can, let us know that everything is alright.  Good luck!

• Like 5

Sooooo, I just got back from TI yesterday and on Sunday we ate at a place on the river. AJ’s I think? Next door, you could see into the windows of a second story house and there were about 12 giant LEDs ha going from the ceiling. You couldn’t see what they were over, but I didn’t see anything green! Ha ha ha!!! You know that guy?

I hope you had fun on the island.  I know the place you are talking about.  It is not fish tanks.  I think he grows some type of flowers in the you can see some of them sometimes.  I don't know him personally though.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, kimberbee said:

I'm just now catching up on a few of the contest tanks... 

I hope you're doing alright and good luck with the evacuation. 🤞

We have not left the island yet.  We have to make a call by nine in the morning.  We are in the 3-5 surge level with the 3-5 inches of rain predicted right now.  Our island at the highest point is about 8-10 feet above sea level so it will be close.  If we leave we may not be able to get back on the island for several days and I would lose most of my tank again due to probable power loss.  I think we will hunker down with most of our friends this time.  If you don't hear from me for a few days it will most likely be because the internet is down.

• Like 3
  • Wow 2

Well, we made it thru the hurricane.  We were blessed that it did not effect us much at all.  A lot of the island was without power, including the light house, but our power only flickered a few times.  The wind was pretty crazy and knocked down a few trees on the island.  Now we just have to take down the plywood and start moving everything back outside and put all of the low stuff back down in the house.  I hope it is soon over for the rest of the states.  We will start collecting supplies here to send to the areas around us that were hit badly.

• Like 4
  • Wow 1

I am going to make my final coral addition next week.  I will be removing the frags that I don't like and adding new and exciting (for me anyway!!!) zoas and palys.  After all of the stress and worry of this weeks weather, I rewarded myself with a coral order.  If they match their pictures and survive I will be very excited.

• Like 8

I ordered 15 zoas from "My Reef to Yours".  Several of them were opening as I took them out of the box.  They were double bagged and well packed within the box.  I used a coral dip for the first time on the new frags and all of my rocks in the pico tank.  I did not see any pests on the new frags but killed more flat worms off of my rocks from the tank.  About half of the new zoas are open now and look exactly like the pictures I ordered from.  This is my first order from there and I am very pleased with the results.  Now I just have to get them to grow by the end of the contest.

• Like 5
  • Wow 1
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Go to account settings.  There you can create a signature.  It could be a link or hyperlink:

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405134-tybee-island-tank-going-on-a-roadshow/#comments

Hope that helps.

Thanks seabass, I don't know how to create a link but I will show it to my husband and daughter and they will try to do it tomorrow.  I confess I am a fish geek but pretty stupid when it comes to computer stuff.

• Like 2