SaltCritters.com

Tybee Island old school contest tank Retired

kimdawg

You can simply type the URL in as a signature; or type Tybee Island Tank, then highlight what you typed and click the chain link symbol above the text window (this will allow you to enter the URL, which will be linked to the text).  I think they should understand that.

• Like 3

Sweet, it does work.  Good job! :smilie:

I might shorten the URL from

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405134-tybee-island-old-school-contest-tank/page/6/?tab=comments

to 

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/405134-tybee-island-old-school-contest-tank

just so that it starts at the beginning (versus a specific post in the thread).  I think the original URL that I posted was too long also.  Again, just highlight the text, click the chain link icon, then edit the URL

See, this computer stuff isn't that bad. :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

I got a new light this week, it is an aqua night/hiparagero led 30 watt.  I think it covers the tank a little better without having to move the flex arm around on the asta light..

September full tank shot

9-22-a.thumb.JPG.e302d7e15ab07905def9bc0d1a1e0e84.JPG

Top down shot9-22-b.thumb.JPG.b798b95871a5051279e538b37a00560f.JPG

I am very happy with the zoanthid growth.  Most of them have grown from a two or three polyp frag.  The ones with one or two polyps now were just added last week.

• Like 6
  • Wow 2
8 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I got a new light this week, it is an aqua night/hiparagero led 30 watt.  I think it covers the tank a little better without having to move the flex arm around on the asta light..

September full tank shot

9-22-a.thumb.JPG.e302d7e15ab07905def9bc0d1a1e0e84.JPG

Top down shot9-22-b.thumb.JPG.b798b95871a5051279e538b37a00560f.JPG

I am very happy with the zoanthid growth.  Most of them have grown from a two or three polyp frag.  The ones with one or two polyps now were just added last week.

I like the top down shot. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Dirté Sanchez said:

Wow that’s your Pico contest entry? Amazing growth in such a short time!

Yes it is! I took rock out of my 75 so I started with an instantly cycled tank.  I moved over a bunch of very small frags of several things and took out what didn't grow very well.  I have settled on GSP, zoas, and ricordea.  I change about 50% of the water most weeks and have started feeding the coral and fish something everyday.  I love this tank because I can take care of it by myself and change water when I want to or things look off.  In my 75 I need help from my husband because of limited use of my left arm.  He is glad to help any time but I like the independence I have with this tank.  It sits right next to my chair and I have to use a lympha press 3 hours a day and it gives me something to watch.  I am so glad I started this contest tank.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, kimdawg said:

Yes it is! I took rock out of my 75 so I started with an instantly cycled tank.  I moved over a bunch of very small frags of several things and took out what didn't grow very well.  I have settled on GSP, zoas, and ricordea.  I change about 50% of the water most weeks and have started feeding the coral and fish something everyday.  I love this tank because I can take care of it by myself and change water when I want to or things look off.  In my 75 I need help from my husband because of limited use of my left arm.  He is glad to help any time but I like the independence I have with this tank.  It sits right next to my chair and I have to use a lympha press 3 hours a day and it gives me something to watch.  I am so glad I started this contest tank.

It looks great so keep at it!!

• Thanks 1

Did a one gallon water change this evening and tried to prune the hair algae.  The flatworms and red cyano seems to be gone but having a problem with hair algae right now.  I think I was adding to much to the water.  I was feeding pellets, coral food 3x's a week,calcium drops 1x week, zooplankton 3x's a week, phyto 3x's a week, and coral accel 7x's a week.  The zoanthids are growing and very bright.  The polyps growth have exploded but the hair algae has caught up with me.  I have less than one month to get it under control and looking its best.  I love a good challenge!!!

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, caas1496 said:

Zoas look like they are growing super fast! Do you attritube the growth to what you are feeding? Ive been looking for a recommendation for what to feed zoas. 

I do think they are growing because of the feeding, but the hair algae has become a problem along with the zoa growth.  I have not really grown zoas before this contest so I think I added too much at one time.  You have a bunch of really nice zoa frags so talk to other zoa keepers before you add too much and get algae.  I love your tank and frags and would still love to be in line to buy a few frags if I can afford them.  Just let me know if you are going to sell some after the contest is over.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any big plans for their tank these last couple of weeks?  I am trying to get rid of the hair algae in mine.  It is getting a lot better but there is still some left.  I want to give it a good cleaning and have a couple of days for everything to open back up before the final pic.  Other than that mine is just on auto pilot right now.

4 hours ago, kimdawg said:

Does anyone have any big plans for their tank these last couple of weeks?  I am trying to get rid of the hair algae in mine.  It is getting a lot better but there is still some left.  I want to give it a good cleaning and have a couple of days for everything to open back up before the final pic.  Other than that mine is just on auto pilot right now.

I have a plan for the livestock but not the tank or most of the equipment 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

I have a plan for the livestock but not the tank or most of the equipment 

I are you going to add to the livestock in the pico or are you talking about plans to move it to other tanks after the contest is over?

Just now, kimdawg said:

I are you going to add to the livestock in the pico or are you talking about plans to move it to other tanks after the contest is over?

Move to other tanks, might use the Pico for an ATO container 

• Like 1

I thought I would add a picture with my daughter's shark teeth she found on an island here at Tybee.  We have found several hundred but these are the two biggest.

736269810_shartooth.thumb.jpeg.0ac3e6131346d69ca5953e741f39a565.jpeg

I plan to do a final clean and water change this weekend.  I hope to get rid of more of the algae and do a rock rearrange before we have to post final full tank shot.

• Like 5
  • Wow 5
8 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I thought I would add a picture with my daughter's shark teeth she found on an island here at Tybee.  We have found several hundred but these are the two biggest.

736269810_shartooth.thumb.jpeg.0ac3e6131346d69ca5953e741f39a565.jpeg

I plan to do a final clean and water change this weekend.  I hope to get rid of more of the algae and do a rock rearrange before we have to post final full tank shot.

Scary teeth! :scarry:

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

They are megalodon shark teeth and are very old.   You can find them after big storms when it washes away part of the island.

I was wondering if those were Megalodon!! How awesome!!! 

• Like 3

I wish we could find really cool stuff like that here, but in Galveston what you mostly find is brown/red algae and poop. ☹️. Our beaches are mostly nasty.

• Sad 2

Our beaches are pretty nice.  You can only get to this island by boat and usually have it to yourself.  We always find smaller teeth and most times 1-2 an inch or so big, but these are the only two really big ones we have found.  We get a megalodon tooth on almost every trip though so it is pretty fun for a 30 minute boat ride over.

• Like 4

That's absolutely amazing that you can find legit Megalodon teeth right there on your island! I'm sure there are collectors that would be chomping at the bit to get ahold of those! 😁 That's super cool.

Awesome tank too! I don't check the Pico Reefs forum as often as I should, and I feel like I am really missing out. Your collection of zoanthids is really stunning. I'll be following along! 

• Like 4