Tank: Aqua Japan 12x7x9 

Filter: HOB Azoo Mignon 150

Light: Kessil A80

9FD69362-046F-4B5E-A0B5-C4C5EE97B61C.jpeg

What a cute set up! 😃

Justin_Luke
1 minute ago, DaVinciClown said:

@WV Reefer @748S911 @Justin_Luke

Thank you!! Trying to come up with a theme... have a few ideas.  Trying to get critters than can go in the 20g when they get bigger or if this tank unfortunately crashes. 

I unicorn tang would fill the space nicely...if you threw three in there they might even school 

• Haha 4
DaVinciClown

Hard to tell if the light spread will look off against the bare bottom and clear sides! Light stays regardless- had it sitting around in the cabinet (recently switched to AI prime) which was one of my inspirations for joining the contest.  My main concern was for the thin glass/acrylic (actually not sure what this tank has, came completely unlabeled in a stack of consecutively larger sized AquaJapan tanks; had to check dimensions in store with their tape measure) to break from mounting. Seems stable so far. 

• Like 1
DaVinciClown
2 minutes ago, DaVinciClown said:

Hard to tell if the light spread will look off against the bare bottom and clear sides! Light stays regardless- had it sitting around in the cabinet (recently switched to AI prime) which was one of my inspirations for joining the contest.  My main concern was for the thin glass/acrylic (actually not sure what this tank has, came completely unlabeled in a stack of consecutively larger sized AquaJapan tanks; had to check dimensions in store with their tape measure) to break from mounting. Seems stable so far. 

Also after unstacking all the tanks and finding out this one fit perfectly, it only cost $30. 

DaVinciClown

Will scooping several cups of sand from my 20 gallon cause too much disturbance? Have 1-2 inch sandbed that is 8 months old. Tank is 1.5 yrs old (new sandbed after moving from LA to Bay Area). 

16 minutes ago, DaVinciClown said:

Will scooping several cups of sand from my 20 gallon cause too much disturbance? Have 1-2 inch sandbed that is 8 months old. Tank is 1.5 yrs old (new sandbed after moving from LA to Bay Area). 

You should be fine, but it will make a mess for a bit.

I did part dry, part live for my tank, I find it's a much better way to go when you can. Seeding the dry stuff (well rinsed, of course) with sand from an established tank seems to be a very cost effective solution with no real downsides, and ends up more diverse than storebought "live sand" anyways. Going with straight live sand from an established tank works too if you have one to pull from.

12 hours ago, DaVinciClown said:

Thanks!!  My initial thoughts are to do a brightly colored RFA+zoa and anemone shrimp tank.  

That will look really good. Love rfa's myself. The colours are amazing

• Like 1
DaVinciClown

Picked up 3 anemone hostees 🙂 very cute pico critters.  Pics when I get home.  Also got crushed coral rubble substrate for this tank! 

• Like 1
DaVinciClown

Coral rubble substrate. Pretty deep. Any chance I can make do with no rock?  I think the anemones will adhere nicely and be easy to move if needed.

92C87179-D754-4530-B435-C0A022C74EBE.jpeg

• Like 1
This guy is extra salty
2 hours ago, DaVinciClown said:

Coral rubble substrate. Pretty deep. Any chance I can make do with no rock?  I think the anemones will adhere nicely and be easy to move if needed.

92C87179-D754-4530-B435-C0A022C74EBE.jpeg

Planning on making that a calcium reactor? 😂 

i do like the substrate, though cause I haven’t decided on what to do with mine yet

• Haha 3