Top Shelf Aquatics

RFA + Anemone Shrimp Pico ~ Baby blenny~

DaVinciClown

Your rubble wall is an interesting concept. Interested to see where you go with the rest of your scape.

Your anemone shrimp are so cute, love the porcelain too!

I had a porcelain crab in a 5.5 gallon & it loved to hang out on the bottom of cliffs in the rocks or under the powerhead.

Hopefully yours will be out & about to enjoy watching it filter the water.

• Like 1
DaVinciClown

Discussing getting tank-spawned baby RFAs from Jason Fox over email! Excited! Will fit with my overall goal to stick with aquaculture/captive-bred livestock. 

DaVinciClown

I have noted fluctuations in temp from 74F to 84F. I think tank light and sunlight are probably large factors, but not too happy with my Cobalt minitherm so far. 

1 minute ago, DaVinciClown said:

I have noted fluctuations in temp from 74F to 84F. I think tank light and sunlight are probably large factors, but not too happy with my Cobalt minitherm so far. 

that is pretty extreme. I'd trade it out, and maybe consider a fan on a timer or temperature controller.

Just saw you were talking RFAs, not BTAs. Not sure how i misread that. regardless, RFAs would be nice

DaVinciClown
4 minutes ago, asting said:

that is pretty extreme. I'd trade it out, and maybe consider a fan on a timer or temperature controller.

Just saw you were talking RFAs, not BTAs. Not sure how i misread that. regardless, RFAs would be nice

I’m also thinking about one BTA for the pico but I already have a captive spawned “rainbow” in my 20 gallon that grew at least 5x in size over the past few months. Maybe he will split!

DaVinciClown
23 hours ago, Wendy said:

Your rubble wall is an interesting concept. Interested to see where you go with the rest of your scape.

Your anemone shrimp are so cute, love the porcelain too!

I had a porcelain crab in a 5.5 gallon & it loved to hang out on the bottom of cliffs in the rocks or under the powerhead.

Hopefully yours will be out & about to enjoy watching it filter the water.

I kind of like the simple scape and am favoring no further rock structures!! I have arches, caves, etc in my other tank. May eventually decide on some live rock if the cycle is difficult. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, DaVinciClown said:

So I have an idea and it’s a little crazy. What is the lightest or least dense coral - gsp? cloves? 

Oooh...I love crazy ideas! 

14 minutes ago, DaVinciClown said:

So I have an idea and it’s a little crazy. What is the lightest or least dense coral - gsp? cloves? 

Maybe xenia?

2 hours ago, Tigahboy said:

I was thinking more in terms of buoyancy.

aren't density and buoyancy the same thing? I.e. if it's less dense, it displaces more water for a given weight, meaning it's more buoyant.

5 minutes ago, asting said:

aren't density and buoyancy the same thing? I.e. if it's less dense, it displaces more water for a given weight, meaning it's more buoyant.

I was thinking strictly in terms of what would float easier (which I was just guessing was what OP was getting at).  

DaVinciClown

My RFAs have not had any issues in the 20 gallon mixed reef and have seemed happy from the start.  Feed them maybe once a week or so.  They don’t mind the anemone shrimp and also don’t mind touching  eachother. I’m a little nervous with the non-established pico and also starting with new very tiny RFAs that were tank spawned (hopefully by Jason Fox). 

7 minutes ago, DaVinciClown said:

My RFAs have not had any issues in the 20 gallon mixed reef and have seemed happy from the start.  Feed them maybe once a week or so.  They don’t mind the anemone shrimp and also don’t mind touching  eachother. I’m a little nervous with the non-established pico and also starting with new very tiny RFAs that were tank spawned (hopefully by Jason Fox). 

Would they do fine in a mixed reef? How aggressive are they?

I have RFA in my 75 and one already in my janky tank.  I currently have them touching mushrooms, zoas, and gsp.  They have not hurt any of those things in my tank.  They all live peaceful next to each other, but I don't know about other corals.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, kimdawg said:

I have RFA in my 75 and one already in my janky tank.  I currently have them touching mushrooms, zoas, and gsp.  They have not hurt any of those things in my tank.  They all live peaceful next to each other, but I don't know about other corals.

Perfect, thanks for the info! 

• Like 1