Innovative Marine Aquariums

The NPS garden; my NPS coral/macroalgae tank (with pictures!)

AlmightyJoshaeus

I have free water and he doesn't notice... I like hot baths too and I'm sure the rodi is hardly wasteful compared to showers.. Laundry... Dishes... Ect

You can buy a booster pump and a 2nd membrane and cut your waste in half. 

3 minutes ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

I'm not familiar with that brand, though it looks similar in size to the RO Buddie or whatever it's called. The challenge with the rodi units that have non standard sizes is that replacing filters can end up being more expensive in the long run than buying a unit that's a bit pricier to start with. I suggest reading up on recommended brands before taking the plunge. 

• Like 1

I would look for something with 10" clear cartridges like this so you can see and replenish filters that get dirty with replacement filters like this, these, these, and this.

I suggest a cartridge like this though for bulk DI resin - I appreciate mine. I go through sediment and DI media the most. The membrane should last the longest.

I connected my RO system with a T-fitting to the cold water supply behind my washing machine - you can also connect the unit under sinks with a saddle tap

You could then connect the system's clean water output to a reservoir (like a brute trash can) with a food-safe float valve. You can then just leave the water supply to the unit always on because the auto shutoff valve (included with most RO systems) will shut off incoming water when the unit's water exit lines are blocked. This way, you have clean water ready all the time. I just watch my RO reservoir tds; if it goes up, I look to see what filter could use a replacement.

2 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

The issue with these lower cost brands is that you have to use their filters which can limit you and get costly 

Buying a brand with 10" cartridges makes things easier as you can buy your filters anywhere.

Spectrapure sells refurbished units on their site which is a  cheaper route.

Spectrapure and BRS units are both reputable systems.

Do you know the quality of your tap water and what its treated with because that will determine if you need 4 stage, 5 stage, or 6 stage

• Like 1
16 hours ago, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

OK. Is there an article on this site for that, or will I need to search it and just hope the right thing comes up?

There are tons of discussion posts on here about the topic. Not sure if an article has ever been written about it on here. 

2 hours ago, WV Reefer said:

Yes, I saw the name change from Almighty to just Lord.  

I want to know, who was mean?

@WV Reefer

you might have “multiple tank syndrome” from surfing tooo ma;y websites.  You may need to set up another tank for therapy.  Talk with the “ horse whisperer”, she may have some words of wisdom for you.

@vlangel

I know how West Virginia got her name.  Enlighten us as to how you got your name.  I just did realize that the last half of your name is ANGEL.   I believe that to be true.

I will be in Greensburg, near your part of the country for a couple of weeks in November.  I am looking for cool dry air.  Here in Austin we are wet & warm, not my favorite combo. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
56 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I like how someone there crosslinked to here lol.  I suppose I was one of the rude ones, because I didn't always say what he wanted to hear?  I spent a good bit of time patiently answering lots of questions on his many threads in an effort to be helpful, but if my help is not wanted... *shrug* :mellow: I guess if he thinks we're rude to him he missed the whole Derrick debacle...

I suppose I should add regarding my last post that doing searches on RODI topics was how I figured out enough to know what I was kind of looking for.  Actually that was how I learned most of what I know about reefing.  Takes some time, yes, but nothing good happens fast in this hobby which is why I've cautioned several times to stop and think things through and consider your options before plunging in headfirst.

Good luck.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I like how someone there crosslinked to here lol.  I suppose I was one of the rude ones, because I didn't always say what he wanted to hear?  I spent a good bit of time patiently answering lots of questions on his many threads in an effort to be helpful, but if my help is not wanted... *shrug* :mellow: I guess if he thinks we're rude to him he missed the whole Derrick debacle...

I suppose I should add regarding my last post that doing searches on RODI topics was how I figured out enough to know what I was kind of looking for.  Actually that was how I learned most of what I know about reefing.  Takes some time, yes, but nothing good happens fast in this hobby which is why I've cautioned several times to stop and think things through and consider your options before plunging in headfirst.

Good luck.

LulaMae,

You are a kind spirit with much wisdom.  Keep it up.

Sometimes, hobbiest forget that the animals in their tanks are sentient creatures.  We are stewards of their wellbeing.  Before subjecting these magnificent creature to a captive environment, we as stewards of that environment have certain responsibilities for their care.  

I get the  impression, that a social platform was the priority, but that is just my impression.

I am here for the party.  It is in my signature.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, Subsea said:

Yes, I saw the name change from Almighty to just Lord.  

I want to know, who was mean?

@WV Reefer

you might have “multiple tank syndrome” from surfing tooo ma;y websites.  You may need to set up another tank for therapy.  Talk with the “ horse whisperer”, she may have some words of wisdom for you.

I was interested to know that as well.  I thought you guys were all quite generous in giving your time  and sharing your knowledge.

I could always use another tank Patrick 😉

9 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Good luck.

I was happy that someone over there noticed the thread and mentioned it.

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, Subsea said:

LulaMae,

You are a kind spirit with much wisdom.  Keep it up.

Sometimes, hobbiest forget that the animals in their tanks are sentient creatures.  We are stewards of their wellbeing.  Before subjecting these magnificent creature to a captive environment, we as stewards of that environment have certain responsibilities for their care.  

I get the  impression, that a social platform was the priority, but that is just my impression.

Thanks for the kind words. :happy:

Stewards, indeed.  When I started 10 years ago, the forum frequently recommended everyone read "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" for the emphasis on caring well for the creatures you bring into your care.  Something I hope we'll all remember.

@WV Reefer I seem to recall you have some equipment for a pico build... :wink:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Subsea said:

@WV Reefer

@WV Reefer LOL, better not talk to me unless you want 'enabled'!  I am struggling to control my own multiple tank syndrome since I just put 2 tanks in the livingroom, have a HT in the basement with the 20 gallon sump.  And if I order live ghost shrimp I will need to set up the AIO 5 gallon.  So as you can I am falling hard!

BTW, how did you choose your username?  I have always assumed that either you are a native West Virginian or you went to WVU.

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
1 minute ago, vlangel said:

@WV Reefer LOL, better not talk to me unless you want 'enabled'!  I am struggling to control my own multiple tank syndrome since I just put 2 tanks in the livingroom, have a HT in the basement with the 20 gallon sump.  And if I order live ghost shrimp I will need to set up the AIO 5 gallon.  So as you can I am falling hard!

BTW, how did you choose your username?  I have always assumed that either you are a native West Virginian or you went to WVU.

I am a native West Virginian.......or hillbilly, whichever you prefer. 😃

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Subsea said:

@WV Reefer

@vlangel

I know how West Virginia got her name.  Enlighten us as to how you got your name.  I just did realize that the last half of your name is ANGEL.   I believe that to be true.

I will be in your part of the country for a couple of weeks in November.  I am looking for cool dry air.  Here in Austin we are wet & warm, not my favorite combo. 

The long answer is I love motorcycles.  I have been riding motorcycles since 1975 and not many girls rode back then.  I sold that bike in college. I however missed it so bad that in 2000 I convinced my hubby that I could ride a motorcycle to work and our son who was home from college and had a part-time job could drive the car.  Motorcycle insurance is cheap if you only carry liability so this was the cheapest option.  Dave, who did not like motorcycles relented and I bought a '82 Suzuki 550 cc.  About a year and a half later he decided that he would learn to ride if I found a bike he could fit, (he is 6ft 6in tall).  I was networked and had him a '76 Honda 750 in a matter of months.  I rode his bike to the school parking lot and taught him to ride.  We were really enjoying our new hobby, (taking long trips) when he got cancer.  My old bike was burning oil and he was afraid we might not be able to take many more trips and he wanted me to have my dream bike.  It was a beautiful teal and silver Suzuki Volusia VL800.  I put over 70k miles on that bike on roadtrips across the country with Dave!  He had a left leg amputation but never had a recurrence of cancer for which we give praise to our Lord Jesus Christ.  We have rode from our house to or through all the lower 48 states and its been amazing.  I will see if I can find a photo of that bike.  Anyway my username is a reference to that bike.

2003 Suzuki VL800

• Like 7
  • Wow 1
On 10/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, AlmightyJoshaeus said:

I apologize...I think a lot. A lot of ideas flow through this head of mine...graduated 9th in my class for a reason 🤣

Anyhow, I am prepared to deal with the light sensitivity of my livestock. The sun coral, dendro, and Leptogorgonia are light tolerant and will be out in the open (the latter grows within 40 feet of the surface, so it has to have defenses against algae). The red tree gorgonian will be in a dark cave to prohibit algae overgrowing it (you can see stuff flowing quickly through either of the available caves). The sponge or sponges will be in an unlit cryptic refugium.

We all think a lot.  Must of us on this forum are passoniate about what we do.   There is a lot of info on the internet and on hobby forums.  Experience is my best teacher.   Slow down and get some experience.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, ReefGoat said:

Oh I'm not judging at all. I think it's fair game now

Well he may still come back... I wouldn’t be surprised, and I hope he does. 🙂 This is a great community and someone on that other thread did point out everyone here was positive and just trying to help.

Personally I think it can just be hard when you’re new and doing lots of research and coming up with what you think are really neat ideas for something new to try and more experienced people don’t even seem to give the ideas a chance, like the distiller idea. On one hand, the experienced people are encouraging you to do it the tried and true way, and that is valuable, but I think sometimes it’s good for someone with a new set of eyes to bring up new considerations. With the distiller, for example, maybe it could work... I don’t know if anyone has actually tried it yet... everyone always pushes really hard for making your own RODI, which I personally didn’t like when I tried to set a filter up myself. Everyone does things differently, and how we get our water is another example of that. Maybe I’ll do a bit more research on it and try a distiller, though for right now I’m getting my water from my LFS, and that seems to be working. 

• Like 3
56 minutes ago, banasophia said:

someone on that other thread did point out everyone here was positive and just trying to help.

Couldnt agree more nano reef is a great community,  but as to the harold character on r2r who said this.. got to watch out for that guy he is sketchy at best.  😋😆😂 lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1