Top Shelf Aquatics

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

Thanks Dawn!  I really like Duncans too.  Plus they seem to be one of the most durable corals (at least for me).  I can't believe how many new heads have formed since I sliced them up.

Thanks Lula Mae!  I'm kind of kicking myself for not getting some blasto merletti.  Oh well.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

The jar is so clean. It looks great. I like the minimalist look and the floating rock.

I love Duncan's too and for me they have always been very durable and quick growing.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

February shots:

022818a.jpg

A bit of macro growing, but the duncans are doing great.

022818b.jpg

022818c.jpg

Top down.

022818d.jpg

About all I can say for the GSP, is that it's hanging on.

022818e.jpg

The blastos look healthy but haven't changed very much.

022818f.jpg

022818g.jpg

FTS.

• Like 7
  • 2 weeks later...

The contest is coming to a close!  March 31st will be the official end of the competition and then the voting will begin.  In order to help the community decide what tanks to vote for, each remaining contestant will need to do the following:

1. PM me three (3) final photos that you think summarize your container reef.  The composition for two of these is up to you, but one of them should be a final FTS taken sometime during the month of March.
  2. PM me a written summary of your container reef build and experiences throughout the competition.  This should be no more than 250 words.
  3. These items must be private messaged to me by midnight (Pacific Standard Time) on March 31st.
  • 3 weeks later...

Contest Summary:

032718a.jpg

This contest was appealing to me due to the low cost of entry, as well as the freedom to choose livestock and equipment. In addition, for me, it was a good introduction into pico tanks.

Although I tried to limit costs, I still wanted to purchase new coral frags specifically selected for this tank. I chose three cultured coral frags from Diver's Den. I also added a few macroalgae frags and snails from my other tanks. I fragged the LPS with a coral saw and split the GSP into several separate mats.

The Duncans almost tripled in size, and the Blastos have recovered nicely from being fragged. I had originally hoped the Green Star Polyps would become ground cover. But unfortunately, I lost all but one small GSP frag (which is just barely holding on).

For DIY projects, I drilled the jar to fit the heater, airline tubing, and temperature probe. I also used a Dremel to bore out a couple of rocks for coated magnets (which I secured with some J-B Weld to make mag-rocks).

032718e.jpg

032718f.jpg

I used new dry rock that was cured in another tank. In addition, most of the water changes were done with water from my other tanks. I believe my results would have been better had I used fresh saltwater instead, as many of the other contestants had done.

Thanks to all the great sponsors, and for the contributions made by @Felicia, @Christopher Marks, the contestants, and other observers. It was both educational and fun.

Bonus pics:

032718b.jpg

032718c.jpg

032718d.jpg

• Like 8

Beautiful pictures! I like the look of just a few small rocks. The floating rocks are a really nice touch. 

When I started my 30g tank with all dry rock, it took well over six months for the tank to get going. I'll bet things are really going to get rolling over the next few months. 

• Like 3
5 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Beautiful pictures! I like the look of just a few small rocks. The floating rocks are a really nice touch. 

When I started my 30g tank with all dry rock, it took well over six months for the tank to get going. I'll bet things are really going to get rolling over the next few months. 

Yeah the 15 has been a little slow since starting with dry rock so I've been pretty much letting it sit and hang out till it has time to really establish itself.  The sandbed is a big ol' frag rack! :lol:

I love how you kept this so clean with drilling the hole just below the lip.  I think I may do the same now that the contest is ended.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...

Sad to say that I will be taking this jar down.  It's not that much work, but I originally purchased these corals with the thought that they would someday be moved into my 100 gallon tank.  Anyway, that time has finally come.

It was a nice little tank.  If I had any complaints, it would be the distortion from the thick curved glass.  Still, it wasn't that bad to look at, but it did make clear photos a little harder to get.

I didn't experience any hardware failures and all three of my coral frags are still alive.  I almost lost my GSP, but it's slowly spreading out.  The duncans are fast growers and the blastos recovered well from the coral saw.

My future plans for this tank will be to use it as a coral quarantine tank.  Well, thank you all for following along with me.  Here are some final shots that I took this afternoon:

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/pico/061618a.jpg

FTS: 06/16/18

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/pico/061618b.jpg

Close up (also showing GSP).

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/pico/061618c.jpg

Top down.

http://thereeffarm.com/nano-reef/pico/061618d.jpg

• Like 5

I'm sorry you took the jar down, but I completely understand as I just took mine down too. You make a great point about the distortion of the glass, that bothered me a little bit, especially for pictures, although I kept forgetting to mention it in my thread.

Using the jar as a coral quarantine is a really great idea! I was wondering what to do with mine since it's so easy to set up again. I'm definitely going to use mine as a quarantine too.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone!  It was a fun project and I learned a lot.  I had never setup a pico before.  Who knows, the pico bug might bite me again some day.

• Like 1

I probably should up the flow a bit.  I'm getting a bit of cyano despite not feeding the tank.  Here are a few UV supplemented shots (I count 26 babies in this jar):

012119b.jpg

012119c.jpg

• Like 2
Christopher Marks

What air pump do you have running on your jar this go around? I'm having good luck with a cheap 24 gph air pump with the air line suction-clipped near the sand bed with no air stone. I'm tempted to try an even more intense pump, but it clearly gives the jar a good swirl.

Those rock flower babies are so cool! ❤️ 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

What air pump do you have running on your jar this go around?

I just stole some air from the pump that I run my two phytoplankton cultures with (being shared 3 ways).  I have another air pump that I can dedicate to it, I was just too lazy to set it up. :blush:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

2 weeks later, and I have literally done nothing to this jar (no top offs, cleanings, feedings, water changes, etc).

020719c.jpg

Specific gravity was 1.028 and cyano is getting a little worse.

020719d.jpg

020719e.jpg

Looks like most of the kids are green.

020719b.jpg

I ended up cleaning up the sand and replacing half of the water.  I'll do another water change this weekend to get specific gravity back in check.

• Like 1