SaltCritters.com

seabass's cookie jar - now with baby RFAs

seabass

Aquacultured Purple Blastomussa (Blastomussa wellsi) $29.99
Aquacultured Purple and Green Duncan (Duncanopsammia axifuga) $39.99
Maricultured Starburst Polyps (Briareum sp.) $59.99

Shipping $0.00

Well here are a couple of shots of the frags I bought from DD.  They are still in my 20L, looks like the GSP is recovering.

102317a.jpg

102317b.jpg

I'm actually surprised I could get a shot of them.  I never clean this tank. :blush:  And I dump quarts of phyto in it at a time.  And it doesn't have any filters. :lol:  Oh, and lighting and flow are also very week.  I know, I'm a bad example.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2
On 10/20/2017 at 7:15 AM, vlangel said:

Wow, I wished I lived locally, I would take them.  I am too dumb to know where my coral come from, LOL.

Hey, I know where ALL my coral comes from...

The ocean.

:lol:

1 hour ago, seabass said:

Purple Blastomussa ( (Blastomussa wellsi) ) $29.99
Purple and Green Duncan (Duncanopsammia axifuga) $39.99
Starburst Polyps (Briareum sp.) $59.99

Shipping $0.00

Well here are a couple of shots of the frags I bought from DD.  They are still in my 20L, looks like the GSP is recovering.

102317a.jpg

102317b.jpg

I'm actually surprised I could get a shot of them.  I never clean this tank. :blush:  And I dump quarts of phyto in it at a time.  And it doesn't have any filters. :lol:  Oh, and lighting and flow are also very week.  I know, I'm a bad example.

Gorgeous, especially that blasto!  My little purple and green Diver's Den blasto survived four days in transit (#thanksUPS) and still has a good dozen heads and probably has made more (I forget the count lol).

Your maintenance sounds like mine on my 5.5... :blush:

• Haha 5
5 hours ago, pappadumplingz said:

Some very nice frags mate 

Thanks, I had to get above $100 for free shipping.  So I ordered three.  I was hoping I could frag the Duncans and spread them out a bit, but they are closer together than I thought they would be.  So I think I'm going to let them be for awhile.

4 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

Gorgeous, especially that blasto!

TY, I was shooting for blasto merletti, and they even had a couple of frags on sale, but I liked the color of this blasto wellsi a little better.  I've always liked Duncans too.  I thought the star polyps had an interesting color (a bit of pink/purple to them).  Anyways, I'm glad they are finally opening up.

I wish my budget where bigger, as there were a few nice pieces that I was eyeing.  I still might get another piece, we'll see.  I have an anemone and some macro which should complete it.

• Like 4
pappadumplingz
3 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks, I had to get above $100 for free shipping.  So I ordered three.  I was hoping I could frag the Duncans and spread them out a bit, but they are closer together than I thought they would be.  So I think I'm going to let them be for awhile.

TY, I was shooting for blasto merletti, and they even had a couple of frags on sale, but I liked the color of this blasto wellsi a little better.  I've always liked Duncans too.  I thought the star polyps had an interesting color (a bit of pink/purple to them).  Anyways, I'm glad they are finally opening up.

I wish my budget where bigger, as there were a few nice pieces that I was eyeing.  I still might get another piece, we'll see.  I have an anemone and some macro which should complete it.

Is there any reason as to why common corals like Ducan's and Gsp are so expensive on DD? Is it just a a live aquaria thing or is this the case for most online stores when it comes to frags?

Yeah, the GSP frag seemed overly expensive to me.  WYSIWYG corals can add to the price (and can sometimes be misleading from some other stores, especially if the pictures are taken under blue lighting).  Also, aquacultured corals seem to be more expensive for the size of frag you get.

My local stores aren't any cheaper and their selection is worse.  I suppose that one could find cheaper options in the Nano-Reef Marketplace, eBay, or even other online stores; but I'm comfortable with what I get from Diver's Den, and know what to expect.

Shipping can also add significant costs to online livestock.  It typically costs between $30 to $50 for next day shipping (which can be cost prohibitive when buying just one coral).  Live Aquaria actually has a pretty decent shipping structure, with free shipping for orders of $99 or more (I assume that there is at least some shipping costs priced into the frags).  Some other companies require more than twice as big of an order to get free shipping.

• Like 4
cfaye@Delaware
15 hours ago, seabass said:

Aquacultured Purple Blastomussa (Blastomussa wellsi) $29.99
Aquacultured Purple and Green Duncan (Duncanopsammia axifuga) $39.99
Maricultured Starburst Polyps (Briareum sp.) $59.99

Shipping $0.00

102317a.jpg

102317b.jpg

Very nice, you did an excellent job of getting the picture. You must have seen the pictures of what the ocean might have looked a million years ago......good theme for the tank......I'm glad the GSP made it and hanging in there.......

• Like 1

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, cfaye@Delaware said:

I'm glad the GSP made it and hanging in there.......

Me too.  I knew I could manhandle them quite a bit.  Now I just have to let them recover a little while.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, seabass said:

Thanks!

Me too.  I knew I could manhandle them quite a bit.  Now I just have to let them recover a little while.

That is a happy looking duncan!

I'm going to have to manhandle some GSP as well. I'm hoping to buy a rock of it from my LFS and then separate it into smaller frags to place around the tank.

Any tips on doing this?

54 minutes ago, SaltyBuddha said:

I'm hoping to buy a rock of it from my LFS and then separate it into smaller frags to place around the tank.  Any tips on doing this?

Carefully peal the mat off the rock.  It's like trying to peal a label off without tearing it.  Inevitably, it will tear, but you want to make the pieces as large as possible.

You should be able to do it without tools, but you might need to use something dull to pry up a corner to get it started.  Some pieces might not come loose very easily, leave them on the rock.  It should grow back and cover the rock again.  Then you can trade it for something else.

Some people regret spreading it around, or even putting it on a main rock structure, because it grows pretty fast and can out compete other coral for space.  People often put it on a separate rock to contain it.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Carefully peal the mat off the rock.  It's like trying to peal a label off without tearing it.  Inevitably, it will tear, but you want to make the pieces as large as possible.

You should be able to do it without tools, but you might need to use something dull to pry up a corner to get it started.  Some pieces might not come loose very easily, leave them on the rock.  It should grow back and cover the rock again.  Then you can trade it for something else.

Some people regret spreading it around, or even putting it on a main rock structure, because it grows pretty fast and can out compete other coral for space.  People often put it on a separate rock to contain it.

Awesome. Thanks for the good write up on it! I was hoping it would be this simple (although not necessarily easy).

If you've seen my Pico plan, I want it to cover pretty much everything lol 

• Like 1

The second jar that I got had more blemishes in it than the first.  So I'll just use the original for the contest.  However, I went ahead and drilled the second one too, so I can use it for clownfish larvae (if they ever decide to breed again).  Here's the video that I shot.  Sorry there's no commentary; it's just something I'm not very good at.  Maybe if it wasn't so long.  Anyway, here's how I drilled my jars.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can't believe I spent 12 minutes of my life watching someone drill a hole.  LOL!  

You know, even without the commentary, it was informative. Without the video edits, it's nice to know what to expect in terms of the difficulty and time requirements to perform a project like this.  Thanks for posting a video of you doing this.  I'll be sure to save it to use on future projects. 

• Haha 5
8 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I can't believe I spent 12 minutes of my life watching someone drill a hole.

inorite?  I actually edited about half of it out (but I kept enough to give you the actual flavor).  So yeah, it could have been worse. :lol:

50 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great video @seabass! I think what surprises people most when drilling glass is just how long it takes to get through. Slow and steady :) 

That's good to know.  I wasn't aware that the video was edited to condense it.  

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, gena said:

Awesome!  So since I'm the least mechanical person out there LOL  I have to ask, what was the putty under the tape, on either side for?

I think he did it to trap the water from flowing out.  Notice how the jar is indented all the way around at the top?  If you put tape over the indention, the tape won't cover that little valley.  

I could be wrong though. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, TatorTaco said:

I think he did it to trap the water from flowing out.  Notice how the jar is indented all the way around at the top?  If you put tape over the indention, the tape won't cover that little valley.  

I could be wrong though. 

Yeah, that makes sense!

Yeah, plumber's putty.  Exactly as TatorTaco said.  The diamonds bits need to be kept wet, or they burn out.  You could use a spray bottle, but making a dam is easier.

• Like 1

My mag rock project:

110217a.jpg

Shaped the rock with a grinder.

110217b.jpg

I used a Dremel to make a divots in the rocks for magnets.

110217c.jpg

With epoxy.

Sometimes I cant leave well enough alone. :(  I ruined a magnet and broke one of the rocks trying to clean it up (and it was fine as it was).

110217d.jpg

Here's the one that I didn't break.

110217e.jpg

The magnets are super strong.  It's not going anywhere.

Stinks about breaking one.  I'll have to see how this looks and decide if I want to replace it.

• Like 9

Awesome! Where did you get the magnets? Ive been wanted to do something like this for my IM10. I've previously bought magnets and then coated them in rubber but it was a pain.