Pod Your Reef

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

3 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

So, so, so much to update but I wanted all of you to meet Dump Truck. Long story. But I love him.

DumpTruck

Love him. 

You know you'll need to start him out on live food and hopefully train him to frozen, right?

Feeder or glass shrimp are great if you can get them. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
21 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Love him. 

You know you'll need to start him out on live food and hopefully train him to frozen, right?

Feeder or glass shrimp are great if you can get them. 

He's already eaten two gut loaded ghost shrimp. I wasn't going to feed him for a day or two but he already had his lure out fishing five minutes after I had him in the tank!! 

I have ordered saltwater feeder shrimp from a place in Florida. They keep very well and are not difficult to breed. I will, however, train him for frozen. Already got my Julian's Thing here and I am looking for a clear, hollow acrylic pipe. This store - and the communication and care by the owner, Sara, is beyond belief. 

Palaemonetes Vulgaris: Common Shore Shrimp

• Like 2
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

So, so, so much to update but I wanted all of you to meet Dump Truck. Long story. But I love him.

DumpTruck

what is this?

• Like 1

Ugh, I want a frog fish so bad. But I have four squat shrimp that would become its dinner no doubt. Do you have any small inverts in your tank? Just curious, cause I've read Anglers will eat anything that moves, if it's smaller than them. Even other fish of the same size can become prey.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu
54 minutes ago, samnaz said:

Ugh, I want a frog fish so bad. But I have four squat shrimp that would become its dinner no doubt. Do you have any small inverts in your tank? Just curious, cause I've read Anglers will eat anything that moves, if it's smaller than them. Even other fish of the same size can become prey.

Moved all sexy shrimp,clown, and Citron to newer tank. Full update later.  In cleaning mode. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Moved all sexy shrimp,clown, and Citron to newer tank. Full update later.  In cleaning mode. 

New tank eh?  Been keepin us all in the dark! :P

Somebody's been bit by the reef bug.  (Un)fortunately there is no vaccine, and no cure. :unsure:

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

Okay. So lots has happened. 

I knew from the moment I saw one years ago I wanted one. I'd just forgotten about them. So a cutie patootie came up on DD and I fell in love and had the money so I ordered him. I panicked. I thought "What the shit have I done!!??" and that's why I was messaging you, @Lula_Mae, to talk it out. But I decided to go with it and go ahead. 

I bought the Fluval Sea Evo V about a month ago I guess and started it up. I had some dry pukani in there that was ugly so changed it to branch Tonga. I used Dr. Tim's ammonia and "seed" to start cycling. I've got two bags of live sand in there, too. I like the extra deep sand bed because it makes the branch rock steady without glue and makes it look like it's growing from the bed and not sitting on it. I saw the ammonia shoot up off the charts so I knew the cycle had started. Next time I tested there was no ammonia and only high nitrates. Next time was same with a bit lower nitrates so I added a snail to test. He made it and is still making it. 

So, the citron goby does not have ich. I don't know what it was - I guess sand sticking to him? I moved him and the clown and all the maxi mini anemones to the little tank. The sexy shrimp and some snails went, too. The citron has actually colored up and fattened since being in there. I know it's not ideal and will be taking him back to the LFS next time I go. The clown is fine for now as he's so tiny, but eventually (months?) he will have to go, too. I do regret having to stress them and give them away as I chose to be responsible for them when I bought them. If there is anyone in the Birmingham, AL area or the Atlanta area that wants them I will be glad to meet you and give them to you (if you're in Atlanta we'll have to meet halfway unless we make a day of it in town and get our grub on). You may have them for free.

So, there is one maxi mini that I can't get out of the big tank no matter what I try. He's embedded in a tiny hole and will not come out. I've pointed a powerhead straight at him, hung him upside down over a transfer tank/thingy, he doesn't care. He's like that honey badger - honey badger don't give a shit. So, he never "blossoms" like the others do - he is very tiny and content to lie within a depression in the rock. I've now put a shell in the depression with him as I hope it will get on his nerves and he will move. 

So, I ordered the the first wartskin frogfish and three corals from LA/DD. So excited, so nervous. Little dude was dead when he got here. Dead. Just dead as hell. I was heartbroken. The corals looked like hell, too, and had come apart from their floating styrofoam blocks. So I think UPS beat the shit out of the boxes. I witnessed the delivery man today sit my box down (with Dump Truck inside) the wrong way because it's clearly marked which side is up. 

I have to say, DD/LA customer service is out of this world absolutely wonderful like my mind is blown and it made me spit on the floor

They sent me another wartskin frogfish, but it was from their LA, not DD. But the rep had a photo of the little guy. He was too cute. Lots of white with just a couple of polka dots of red. But guess what? That's not what got delivered to me today. Damn. Can't win for losing. So I called DD/LA and they, again, offered impeccable customer service. 

Of course, I'm keeping the little guy who's not so little - he's a good four inches. He's uglier than a diseased hooker's asshole, but he's healthy and alive. Ugly fish need love, too. When I was describing the fish to LA/DD I was telling her how ugly he was and without even thinking about it I blurted out "He looks like a damned dump truck." So, that's his name and now I love him. 

He was fishing five minutes after I put him in the tank! I don't know what he thought he saw as I hadn't put a ghost shrimp in there yet. Then I think he snapped at his reflection in the glass. 

He ate the first ghost shrimp though I didn't see it - I just saw him make the motion - his back was turned to me. 

did see him eat the second one. IT IS LIGHTNING FAST AND AMAZING. I didn't know if I was going to be able to handle seeing it but the shrimp didn't even know he'd been eaten. 

So, @Lugmos12 and @fishfreak0114 I will get you an FTS tomorrow. I totally rearranged the tank for him. I have half the tank with "mountains" where he can perch and hide and hunt and then the other half (a long front stretch and the whole width of the tank on the right side) for him to waddle or hunt or do whatever he wants. And @Lugmos12 he's a wartskin frogfish. @WV Reefer I love you and I don't know why and you rock and the Aiptasia X obliterated that tiny asshole anemone. @samnaz I left the scarlet-legged reef crabs in there as they have their huge shells they can retract into almost as quickly as he can eat. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but anytime I go near them - just inches away - they retract. Left all the nassarius and other snails - one crawled on the glass and even touched him and he seemed to know a shell in the stomach isn't a good thing and let it be. @Lula_Mae my reef bug is cured as far as acquiring tanks. No more. I'm finished. 

So, here's a link to the video of him fishing for the shrimp!

Dump Truck

• Like 5
6 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Okay. So lots has happened. 

I knew from the moment I saw one years ago I wanted one. I'd just forgotten about them. So a cutie patootie came up on DD and I fell in love and had the money so I ordered him. I panicked. I thought "What the shit have I done!!??" and that's why I was messaging you, @Lula_Mae, to talk it out. But I decided to go with it and go ahead. 

I bought the Fluval Sea Evo V about a month ago I guess and started it up. I had some dry pukani in there that was ugly so changed it to branch Tonga. I used Dr. Tim's ammonia and "seed" to start cycling. I've got two bags of live sand in there, too. I like the extra deep sand bed because it makes the branch rock steady without glue and makes it look like it's growing from the bed and not sitting on it. I saw the ammonia shoot up off the charts so I knew the cycle had started. Next time I tested there was no ammonia and only high nitrates. Next time was same with a bit lower nitrates so I added a snail to test. He made it and is still making it. 

So, the citron goby does not have ich. I don't know what it was - I guess sand sticking to him? I moved him and the clown and all the maxi mini anemones to the little tank. The sexy shrimp and some snails went, too. The citron has actually colored up and fattened since being in there. I know it's not ideal and will be taking him back to the LFS next time I go. The clown is fine for now as he's so tiny, but eventually (months?) he will have to go, too. I do regret having to stress them and give them away as I chose to be responsible for them when I bought them. If there is anyone in the Birmingham, AL area or the Atlanta area that wants them I will be glad to meet you and give them to you (if you're in Atlanta we'll have to meet halfway unless we make a day of it in town and get our grub on). You may have them for free.

So, there is one maxi mini that I can't get out of the big tank no matter what I try. He's embedded in a tiny hole and will not come out. I've pointed a powerhead straight at him, hung him upside down over a transfer tank/thingy, he doesn't care. He's like that honey badger - honey badger don't give a shit. So, he never "blossoms" like the others do - he is very tiny and content to lie within a depression in the rock. I've now put a shell in the depression with him as I hope it will get on his nerves and he will move. 

So, I ordered the the first wartskin frogfish and three corals from LA/DD. So excited, so nervous. Little dude was dead when he got here. Dead. Just dead as hell. I was heartbroken. The corals looked like hell, too, and had come apart from their floating styrofoam blocks. So I think UPS beat the shit out of the boxes. I witnessed the delivery man today sit my box down (with Dump Truck inside) the wrong way because it's clearly marked which side is up. 

I have to say, DD/LA customer service is out of this world absolutely wonderful like my mind is blown and it made me spit on the floor

They sent me another wartskin frogfish, but it was from their LA, not DD. But the rep had a photo of the little guy. He was too cute. Lots of white with just a couple of polka dots of red. But guess what? That's not what got delivered to me today. Damn. Can't win for losing. So I called DD/LA and they, again, offered impeccable customer service. 

Of course, I'm keeping the little guy who's not so little - he's a good four inches. He's uglier than a diseased hooker's asshole, but he's healthy and alive. Ugly fish need love, too. When I was describing the fish to LA/DD I was telling her how ugly he was and without even thinking about it I blurted out "He looks like a damned dump truck." So, that's his name and now I love him. 

He was fishing five minutes after I put him in the tank! I don't know what he thought he saw as I hadn't put a ghost shrimp in there yet. Then I think he snapped at his reflection in the glass. 

He ate the first ghost shrimp though I didn't see it - I just saw him make the motion - his back was turned to me. 

did see him eat the second one. IT IS LIGHTNING FAST AND AMAZING. I didn't know if I was going to be able to handle seeing it but the shrimp didn't even know he'd been eaten. 

So, @Lugmos12 and @fishfreak0114 I will get you an FTS tomorrow. I totally rearranged the tank for him. I have half the tank with "mountains" where he can perch and hide and hunt and then the other half (a long front stretch and the whole width of the tank on the right side) for him to waddle or hunt or do whatever he wants. And @Lugmos12 he's a wartskin frogfish. @WV Reefer I love you and I don't know why and you rock and the Aiptasia X obliterated that tiny asshole anemone. @samnaz I left the scarlet-legged reef crabs in there as they have their huge shells they can retract into almost as quickly as he can eat. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but anytime I go near them - just inches away - they retract. Left all the nassarius and other snails - one crawled on the glass and even touched him and he seemed to know a shell in the stomach isn't a good thing and let it be. @Lula_Mae my reef bug is cured as far as acquiring tanks. No more. I'm finished. 

So, here's a link to the video of him fishing for the shrimp!

Dump Truck

These are one of my favorite fish in the whole world, I had a yellow version of this same fish many years ago that I named Daffodil. 

So glad to hear that you got a good one and seem to have a good handle on how to care for it. 

While I'm thinking about it, I learned several years ago that they apparently do better in lower temps so if you can keep your tank closer to 76 that might be helpful for him. 

There was a guy who was doing a lot of work with Frogfish, including breeding them, and I learned that from reading his thread. 

• Like 6
Thunder Goose

What an adventure! Love Dump Truck! Great name and gorgeous ugly fish. I wish him a long, shrimp filled life.

• Like 5
thespinningsadhu
5 hours ago, Weetabix7 said:

While I'm thinking about it, I learned several years ago that they apparently do better in lower temps so if you can keep your tank closer to 76 that might be helpful for him. 

There was a guy who was doing a lot of work with Frogfish, including breeding them, and I learned that from reading his thread. 

Do you have a link? Did you try this yourself and it worked? I have my tank at 81. 

Just now, thespinningsadhu said:

Do you have a link? Did you try this yourself and it worked? I have my tank at 81. 

I don't have a link, sorry. 

This was at least 6 yrs ago and I wouldn't even know how to find it now. 

Maybe google "breeding frogfish" or "breeding angler fish"?

81 sounds a bit warm to me. 

Can you get it down to 78?

thespinningsadhu
12 minutes ago, Weetabix7 said:

Can you get it down to 78?

Well, it's there on purpose. I was reading how things seemed to flourish in higher temperatures. The corals - more growth with higher temps and more color with lower temps. I will knock it down to 78 right now and see how things do. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

@WV Reefer I love you and I don't know why and you rock 

:wub: you're good peeps. 

My clown goby used to sit in my acro and it would get white spots on its body in the same places his body touched the acro......I always just assumed it was some sort of reaction to the coral.  Maybe yours is having a similar issue.  

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
49 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

I don't know? Can known disease survive digestion?

I wasn't even thinking about that. I was thinking if the chromis has something will it spread to the water in the five minutes it should take for him to eat. 

• Like 1
GregEmmitte

You'd need to talk to someone knowledgeable in fish diseases. If they're anything like us with acidic stomachs I'm sure velvet or ich would be dissolved during digestion. I'm not a marine biologist tho lol.

• Like 1