Coral Vue Hydros

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

No, you're right. I'm a total noob so I didn't think of this. I'm trusting labels too much, I guess. Okay, payday I get those test kits for these things. ?

2 hours ago, thespinningsadhu said:

No, you're right. I'm a total noob so I didn't think of this. I'm trusting labels too much, I guess. Okay, payday I get those test kits for these things. ?

Better to know what your levels are if your gonna dose. Man, I've had tanks for years and I just made a rookie mistake on my current tank so don't feel bad!! 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Okay. Got some new life for the tank. Pictures suck because sand was stirred and it seems the lower down in the tank it is the milkier the glass gets. Pro photos when things are settled. 

Sun Polyp - I did nothing to this photo except sharpen it. Can you believe that orange?!?!?!

New maxi-mini. This one is hot pink and white. Reminds me of those sno-ball cakes my papa got when I was little. 

A little scrap of GSP only anchored by coralline. I saw the coolest tank that had the bottom covered with GSP instead of sand or bare. I'm gonna do the same. Leave some sand around the rocks so it can't climb. 

I also picked up some Reef Frenzy, Seachem coral dip, an oxygen stone, and some clips. The clips I will use to hange the bag of Purigen and ChemiPure elite in the middle chamber of the filter. I think it will get better flow if it's suspended. 

IMG_20170710_155644-01.jpeg

IMG_20170710_155638-01.jpeg

IMG_20170710_155703-01.jpeg

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

Photos of the new additions... I didn't know GSP could be so gorgeous!

green star polyps

maxi mini

sno-ball maxi mini

australian sun coral

australian sun polyp

Horatio has changed his shell... queen.

HORATIO

the torch looking especially pretty

torch coral

• Like 4
thespinningsadhu

Peejoe, the clownfish, has turned into a little bastard and attacking me when I have to get into the tank. ####er. 

Installed skimmer last night - already skimming gunk but also throwing millions of bubbles into the tank. Read this will go away. 

Got in the Cupramine - still hesitant to move the goby to the hospital tank.

Original maxi mini (the blue and purple and yellow and pink in my signature picture) looks like shit. He's healthy and he won't move but he's so dull. All my other maxi minis are so vibrant they literally light up the rock immediately surrounding them at night under the actinics. 

Oh! Moved the tank to its final destination - found a little chest I liked. It's a child's dresser chest or something? It's a bench with storage. 

Feather dusters everywhere. 

Huge new heads on the duncan. 

The ricordea??? Some days it's huge and open and the four mouths are showing and its bumps are getting farther apart because it's trying to split. Other days it's just tiny. Oh well. 

Getting green algae on the substrate shells - not gha or anything I find as bad. Should I leave it or get rid of it? It's kind of pretty on the shells. A bit gets on the glass and that I remove. But when I suction the shells the algae doesn't come off a bit - it's like painted on there. 

Last night did huge water change (five gallons) so I could get the tank to be light enough to carry by myself to the new stand. 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Got in the Cupramine - still hesitant to move the goby to the hospital tank.

If it's Ich, you actually have to treat the clownfish too (and leave the display fallow for 6 to 8 weeks).  Can you post a current picture of the goby so we can see what it looks like now?

25 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Original maxi mini (the blue and purple and yellow and pink in my signature picture) looks like shit. He's healthy and he won't move but he's so dull. All my other maxi minis are so vibrant they literally light up the rock immediately surrounding them at night under the actinics.

Sometimes lighting (or health) makes a big difference in coloration.  You'll often see unusual colored anemones for sale that are actually unhealthy (but sometimes still beautiful).  When they start to color back up, they can loose some of the qualities that we found attractive in the first place.  But at least it sounds like it's healthy.

22 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Getting green algae on the substrate shells - not gha or anything I find as bad. Should I leave it or get rid of it? It's kind of pretty on the shells. A bit gets on the glass and that I remove. But when I suction the shells the algae doesn't come off a bit - it's like painted on there.

Sometimes increased algae growth is a sign of increased phosphate.  Some micro algae is OK though.  You should expect to have to scrape the glass around once a week.  When you see increased algae growth, it's usually a good sign that you need to up your maintenance procedures.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

@seabass you rock. I'm getting the little green algae just on those shells and around the perimeter where the top of the substrate meets glass. 

I will have to get the long-handled scraper since the clown is attacking me. It terrifies me and I get water everywhere. 

Let me get a good photo of the citron and post it. He's still active and voraciously eating. 

I've got some Seachem PhosGuard. Shall I add it to the tank?

Picture in a few minutes or so. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I will have to get the long-handled scraper since the clown is attacking me. It terrifies me and I get water everywhere.

I have a theory about clownfish.  They are protecting their territory, so when your hand enters the tank, it's instincts are to chase you off.  Knowing that it can intimidate you, may reinforce this instinct.

But I know that it is hard to stand your ground when they are trying to bite you (besides surprising you, it can hurt).  When mine get aggressive, I put on heavy duty gloves.  Then I know I'd barely feel it.  I'll move right up to the fish and not back down.  My fish are now submissive to a gloved hand.  They seem better about an ungloved hand now too.

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

I've got some Seachem PhosGuard. Shall I add it to the tank?

You can.  Use about 1/4th of the recommended amount and switch it out a little more frequently.  You should be testing for phosphate to determine when to replace it, and to make sure that phosphate doesn't drop too low.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, seabass said:

You can.  Use about 1/4th of the recommended amount and switch it out a little more frequently.  You should be testing for phosphate to determine when to replace it, and to make sure that phosphate doesn't drop too low.

Another test to buy!!

thespinningsadhu
2 hours ago, seabass said:

I have a theory about clownfish.  They are protecting their territory, so when your hand enters the tank, it's instincts are to chase you off.  Knowing that it can intimidate you, may reinforce this instinct.

But I know that it is hard to stand your ground when they are trying to bite you (besides surprising you, it can hurt).  When mine get aggressive, I put on heavy duty gloves.  Then I know I'd barely feel it.  I'll move right up to the fish and not back down.  My fish are now submissive to a gloved hand.  They seem better about an ungloved hand now too.

I distract him with a pipette. His first interaction with me was a food positive one. He was so sweet. 

Mine doesn't care. I've stood my ground, she still comes after me.

I wear gloves and she pulls on them.

She has jumped and hit the surface water to get to my hand before maintenance. 

She now goes after the vacuum.

She's very feisty. 

Bossy with her boyfriend too:blink:

• Like 1
RayWhisperer

Don't you folks hand feed your fish? I have always hand fed my fish several times a week. That way the hand is something they are happy to see in the tank.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
35 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Mine doesn't care. I've stood my ground, she still comes after me.

I wear gloves and she pulls on them.

She has jumped and hit the surface water to get to my hand before maintenance. 

She now goes after the vacuum.

She's very feisty. 

Bossy with her boyfriend too:blink:

Yes!! This little shit JUMPED OUT OF THE WATER LAST NIGHT TO ATTACK ME. 

5 minutes ago, RayWhisperer said:

Don't you folks hand feed your fish? I have always hand fed my fish several times a week. That way the hand is something they are happy to see in the tank.

I do hand feed with a pipette - hand in the water. The first interactions with me were food based from my hand - the clown would nibble off the end of the pipette! But now he's having issues - he must be going through something- but I wish he'd hurry up and find himself and get rid of all this teenage angst because I need to clean. 

thespinningsadhu

@seabass - I can't get a good photo of him right now. I will tell you he has absolutely no spots on his body and two or three minuscule ones on his tail fin. It could be sand or a bubble. I'm actually doing the ginger thing - I don't think it's a cure but it doesn't hurt them and they seem to love it. I also know no spots isn't equal to no ich. Maybe he doesn't even have ich? 

At any rate I can't do any kind of treatment because I have to go to my mom and dad's for a week and dog sit. I'll come home twice to do a water change and feed and I've got a timer for the lights. 

Any idea when these micro bubbles from the skimmer will go away?

41 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Any idea when these micro bubbles from the skimmer will go away?

IDK, could take a couple of weeks to break in.  Then again, it might not be adjusted correctly.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, seabass said:

I was going to suggest you bite the fish back, but this is probably a better idea lol.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
40 minutes ago, seabass said:

IDK, could take a couple of weeks to break in.  Then again, it might not be adjusted correctly.

They're less already! It's skimming nicely already, too. 

thespinningsadhu

1. Gorgeous Hammer shot - I didn't do anything to the color or look - it's just pretty!

2. @seabass Faded and dull maxi mini. He's eating, he won't move, he's about four inches in diameter. 

3. @seabass @Lula_Mae @Clown79 this is the neon rainbow clove polyp. He's been closed like this for about a week. Is it because he's shooting off new polyps? No in focus at the base but if you look carefully there are four new ones growing. 

4. @seabass this is the best shot I could get for now. If you hunt for it there is a tiny, tiny white speck. That's all.

5. @seabass in the goby pic on the glass and here on the shells you can see the algae. I added a small amount of Phosguard. 

_DSC1148_DSC1142_DSC1138_DSC1137_DSC1134

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

1. Gorgeous Hammer shot - I didn't do anything to the color or look - it's just pretty!

2. @seabass Faded and dull maxi mini. He's eating, he won't move, he's about four inches in diameter. 

3. @seabass @Lula_Mae @Clown79 this is the neon rainbow clove polyp. He's been closed like this for about a week. Is it because he's shooting off new polyps? No in focus at the base but if you look carefully there are four new ones growing. 

4. @seabass this is the best shot I could get for now. If you hunt for it there is a tiny, tiny white speck. That's all.

5. @seabass in the goby pic on the glass and here on the shells you can see the algae. I added a small amount of Phosguard. 

_DSC1142

_DSC1148_DSC1142_DSC1138_DSC1137_DSC1134

Not sure, I've never kept clove polyps.  Could try a Lugol's iodine dip and see if that helps.

Nice pics!

Are the cloves up high? If so lower them.

Are they in a good amount of flow? They like flow.

The algae looks like normal algae to me. Not gha or cyano.

It's a new tank, you will go through various algae.

Some algae is normal, the concern is when it's aggressive algae which take over

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Thanks for the compliment. :)

The clove is low and in a nice moderate flow. I think he may be reproducing. I don't know. I'm about to feed some Reef Chili and that should open him up.