Top Shelf Aquatics

Jagadeesh's Elysian Gills

thespinningsadhu

thespinningsadhu

Picked up four new snails to help with the diatoms. 

Got my Yellow Clown Goby - Hercules. 

Two more sexy shrimp. I'm enamored of the things. 

thespinningsadhu

So the tank now has gills in it and has earned its name. 

This guy is HUGE. I just couldn't get another yellow clown goby. Not yet. This citron goby probably weighs eight pounds and is two inches long. He's eating - in their tank and now in mine!

His name is Short Round and if you get that reference we're besties.

_DSC0716.jpg

I also dispensed with the polyfil that you stuff toys with and bought the original poly filter intended for aquariums. It's working pretty good and pretty quickly. I also have installed the wavemaker and have pretty great motion. 

Oh! I got the best little piece of live rock just covered with coralline and the orangest zoas you've ever seen!! I just moved them so they're opening up again. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, thespinningsadhu said:

So the tank now has gills in it and has earned its name. 

This guy is HUGE. I just couldn't get another yellow clown goby. Not yet. This citron goby probably weighs eight pounds and is two inches long. He's eating - in their tank and now in mine!

His name is Short Round and if you get that reference we're besties.

_DSC0716.jpg

I also dispensed with the polyfil that you stuff toys with and bought the original poly filter intended for aquariums. It's working pretty good and pretty quickly. I also have installed the wavemaker and have pretty great motion. 

Oh! I got the best little piece of live rock just covered with coralline and the orangest zoas you've ever seen!! I just moved them so they're opening up again. 

THE GOONIES?!?!?!?!

Oh, and nice fish. :lol:  Pic of zoas plz. :P

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu
31 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

THE GOONIES?!?!?!?!

Oh, and nice fish. :lol:  Pic of zoas plz. :P

LOL. Nope, not The Goonies, but your time period is spot on. 

I can't believe how orange these guys are. And they are orange no matter what light they're under. Kind of amazing. 

Had to google it lol but Short Round from Indiana Jones was indeed the kid from The Goonies.  :D

And it's always nice when a coral is the same color in all lights lol.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, thespinningsadhu said:

You're right! I guess I forgot he was in The Goonies. 

I actually just saw Temple of Doom for the first time a few months ago and when I saw him I was like "THAT'S THE KID FROM THE GOONIES!!!!" which somehow my husband has never yet seen, but I digress.

• Like 3
thespinningsadhu

I killed Jerome, my frogspawn, and brutally. Total accident. Thank goodness they're not sentient. I was doing a water change and moving some stuff around. The frogspawn never was completely happy where he was so I took him off the rock. I was picking the superglue off of his base so I could glue it to a frag plug I was going to bury and I was holding on too tightly and he exploded. Literally. It was awful. He was my first coral. Dang.

On happier news I was able to go by The Fish Store in Atlanta while I was there and this place is huge. They are super helpful and very knowledgeable. Corals from $9.99 to $299.99 (I didn't even bother to look at those). 

Picked up a purple torch with yellow tips, a neon clove polyp - two colors or three (just one - the guy thought there were more but there was one - but it's pretty so it was worth the $20), and a pretty, pretty baby blue and mint green ricordea that is about to split. 

First water change with new salt - Red Sea Coral stuff. 

I was away for about 36 hours and was pleased to come back to everyone alive and healthy. 

That name brand Poly Filter was brown!! Brown brown. I rinsed it out in the water I pulled out of the tank, put it back in, and then put stuffing polyfil on top of it (which I will change twice a week). 

Have a Fluval Sea V arriving Tuesday!

Oooh!  Did the skeleton get destroyed?  If it didn't, and you haven't taken it out of the water, I'd leave it in the tank as sometimes LPS will grow back.  So sorry!

Purple torch with yellow tips sounds awesome!

And Fluval Sea V...I think you've been bit, and bit bad...by the reef bug! ;)

• Like 2

I had a hammer skeleton split right up to the flesh, i superglued the very big crack. I figured i'd give it a try. 

Glad I did, hammer is fine.

The next time you are removing  a coral from a rock or plug that's been glued, try rocking it gently back and forth, it will pop off easily. 

• Like 2
GregEmmitte

Anyone ever have a tooth pulled? The dentists wiggles it back and forth and side to side until it's loose. I do he same thing when moving frags

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

@Lula_Mae @GregEmmitte @Clown79

I got the coral off the rock and plug no problem. Came right off. But I'd moved it once before and then there was the glue that the store had used. So there was this big unsightly lump on the bottom and it added height. Besides and more importantly than unsightly, it wasn't a very good or even surface to put more glue. I was holding it with the two fingers of my left hand and picking at the glue gently with my right. I guess I was being so careful with picking the glue I didn't watch my grip and it exploded. Everywhere. Crumbled. Destroyed.

I have a tendency to grip things when I'm concentrating. I do it with pens and paint brushes. The only difference is that I'm holding the pen or brush so long that I realize I have a death grip on it. This happened in under ten seconds. 

I feel horrible. I do. 

I grabbed it out of the water as soon as I could get my hands on my net because it was sliming all over the place. It was beyond repair. The white stuff that is soft within the skeleton yu normally can't see was going everywhere. It was an accident. 

4 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

Anyone ever have a tooth pulled? The dentists wiggles it back and forth and side to side until it's loose. I do he same thing when moving frags

Hopefully with the last post you understand. I wasn't being a brute. It was an accident. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

@Lula_Mae @GregEmmitte @Clown79

I got the coral off the rock and plug no problem. Came right off. But I'd moved it once before and then there was the glue that the store had used. So there was this big unsightly lump on the bottom and it added height. Besides and more importantly than unsightly, it wasn't a very good or even surface to put more glue. I was holding it with the two fingers of my left hand and picking at the glue gently with my right. I guess I was being so careful with picking the glue I didn't watch my grip and it exploded. Everywhere. Crumbled. Destroyed.

I have a tendency to grip things when I'm concentrating. I do it with pens and paint brushes. The only difference is that I'm holding the pen or brush so long that I realize I have a death grip on it. This happened in under ten seconds. 

I feel horrible. I do. 

I grabbed it out of the water as soon as I could get my hands on my net because it was sliming all over the place. It was beyond repair. The white stuff that is soft within the skeleton yu normally can't see was going everywhere. It was an accident. 

Hopefully with the last post you understand. I wasn't being a brute. It was an accident. 

We know it was an accident. :) Sorry it happened to you, we've all inadvertently killed something at one time or another!

• Like 2

It happens, it's sad you lost it but it wasn't  on purpose.

I was rocking my gently back and forth, done it many times before and the bugger still split on me.

1 minute ago, GregEmmitte said:

I killed my little acrocrab by not being able to support SPS.. :( 

image.jpg

Oh, it's so cute. Sorry.

• Like 2
thespinningsadhu

I have photos and a couple of them have questions for them if ya'll would give your thoughts.

The Ricordea - I don't know if it's Yuma, Haitian, Florida, or what. Just pretty. You can't see his other mouth on the other side. He's splitting. :)

_DSC0728 (1).jpg

The $20 polyp. One. LOL. The guy says there are four more but I don't believe they're alive. 

_DSC0733.jpg

The two I think are dead. What say ye? They were on a sponge or something and broke off. I planted them. 

_DSC0737.jpg

This one I think is alive but is closed. What do ya'll think?

_DSC0738.jpg

@Lula_Mae here's the pretty frag with the orange orange zoas - the medium quality jpeg doesn't do them justice. 

_DSC0732.jpg

Again, the medium quality jpeg - this guy is a NEON FLASHLIGHT. The tips are orange and the "eye" is super lime green. 

_DSC0735.jpg

Actinic shot.

_DSC0736.jpg

Danged jpegs - purple and gold is washed out but this is gorgeous in person.

_DSC0729 (1).jpg

15 minutes ago, GregEmmitte said:

I killed my little acrocrab by not being able to support SPS.. :( 

image.jpg

It's a tough thing. I'd be devastated if it had been a sentient creature. It's strange (or maybe not) how we can get attached to things we can't cuddle. 

I have ordered Reef Chili and am (for some reason) very excited about that. 

It seems Short Round likes mysis shrimp. I ordered flakes, too. 

• Like 4

Looks very nice!  You can host your pics on a site like Flickr for ease of storage and not using all your space. :)

Also, do you have any Lugol's iodine on hand?  I keep some to dip corals in when I get them and if they start looking puny.  Very good thing to have.  A couple drops of Lugol's in a cup or so of tank water for 3-5 minutes, done.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

Short Round posing for the camera... Werk, fish... :lol:

_DSC0744.jpg

6 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

Looks very nice!  You can host your pics on a site like Flickr for ease of storage and not using all your space. :)

Also, do you have any Lugol's iodine on hand?  I keep some to dip corals in when I get them and if they start looking puny.  Very good thing to have.  A couple drops of Lugol's in a cup or so of tank water for 3-5 minutes, done.

Wow! No, I don't have that. Is it a special kind of iodine or will regular iodine work?

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, thespinningsadhu said:

Short Round posing for the camera... Werk, fish... :lol:

_DSC0744.jpg

Wow! No, I don't have that. Is it a special kind of iodine or will regular iodine work?

Not sure about regular iodine to be honest lol.  I use the Lugol's iodine made by Kent Marine, got it from Amazon.

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

So I came home this afternoon and the scarlet legged crab was dead. He was out of his shell (legs and head) in an awkward position and so I flipped him over where he'd be able to walk. He's gone on to glory. He was weird. I only ever saw him move once in the weeks I had him. Poor guy. He died in luxury. He also got fed to the maxi mini. No sense in wasting his death. 

Everything else is fine. 

New addition - tiny little ocellaris clown. I stopped in Petco to see if they had some Biospira and saw this little guy. He's tank born and raised. He was less than twenty bucks and when I get up to the register the guy in charge of fish says I get a twenty percent discount because he's been with them for a couple of weeks. That's a plus to me - the time in their tank - not the discount. 

Get this - he also offered me a whole bag of blue legged crabs for free. Free. I'm all "What's going on? Is this his way of asking for some booty?" but he said they just autoship the store livestock without asking and he didn't need them, want them, or have room for them. I declined as I have read they aren't really great CUC and what was I going to do with twenty in a 12 gallon?? 

My Fluval Sea Evo V came today and I set it up. So far I hate it as much as I love the 12. I'll start a thread. 

• Like 1
thespinningsadhu

This is the little clown. 

Shall we name it? 

I don't know much about him, just that's he's bilingual, loves tofu, and likes long swims on the reef...

_DSC0777.jpg

• Like 2