Pod Your Reef

IM ten gallons of tank breakdown and free critters.

1891Bro

Nuisance algae aside for now...

Finally sobered up long enough to hit up a lfs, not sure why I bothered to sober up as it’s walking distance but I drove, for those snails I been wanting/needing. Walked out with two small frags. Reddish orange micro and a blasto. Been looking for a blasto. This one wasn’t really the color I wanted but the price and size were right so I compromised. I’m gonna get them in the tank soon and photos will follow. 

Also regarding the lfs I went to, I know there’s a few members here in the Bay Area. Of course everyone knows about Neptune’s and it is the best (still have yet to make it to diablo corals if they still do a brick and mortar place) but I went to the close one. Close as in two minutes in the car instead of 12. Tropical Fish International, I went here when I first moved to the area and while the lady that owned it was as nice as could be well, it was pretty crappy. The former owner passed away and the place is now run (no idea if they own it) by these two younger guys. Much more SW focused. Some of the frag tanks are pest infested but some gems can be found in the 20-30 dollar frag tank from time to time. Prices are fair, good customer service. Not the best selection or quality compared to the choices we have in this area but they’re just kinda getting started and I like to give them a little business. If you live near enough to go to Neptune’s make the few more miles to check it out.  

• Like 1

Ok. Hard part is done. Stuff is in the tank. Got some hungry snails. @Christopher Marks Maybe I got those fiending junkies or they’re hooked on that opiate algae I seem to have! They’re not wasting any time. No bag floating, no dripping. I didn’t see a point as they were in a bag for maybe ten minutes at most. No I didn’t put nasty store water in the tank, well what ever drops might have been on the snail shells, #### it though. Here’s a pic of some hungry snails. They’re small and I don’t know what kind they are but, I do know a few kinds they ain’t. Nerites are my best guess. 

DB7D4692-D1E2-4BB3-B103-8E79CCE9930D.jpeg

Turning up the white works pretty good for phone pics imo. The other two are on the glass so can’t really get a good photo of the shell but they’re same shape with different colors on the shell. When the corals open up I’ll update this post with a few More photos. 

Edit to add that both fish are freaked after getting bombed with a few snails and a pair of tongs reaching in to disturb the rest. ####ing dumb asses. 

2342CEFE-F5B7-4E92-8566-A6431C466CD8.jpeg

Blastos, they look a bit better under bluer light but still not the color I really wanted. Mostly open though. Now waiting on the micro to get with the program. Still giving off a bit of slime so might be a bit longer. I’ll edit again later. 

C8F9FE02-EFF4-4526-963C-6751A79364B2.jpeg

Well where it’s placed I just can’t seem to take a decent pic. At least you get the idea of the color though. Oh well. 

• Like 4

And I forgot to get salt I should have enough for a two gallon change. Also my zoas seem to have a tumor of some sort. Between the two orange skirted ones. Looks to be a part of the purple looking ones stalk when they’re closed. Anyone ever seen something like it before?

D41DF250-9E4C-4284-AD9F-3F21D2BE8E63.jpeg

#### the southeast. Landed in Atlanta earlier. Little family visit. Only takes leaving the airport to remember why I hate it here. ####ing dump. 

• Like 1

Not the city itself. ATL is actually a decent place. It’s once you get out into the metro... and beyond.  Weather sucks everywhere though. 

17 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

#### the southeast. Landed in Atlanta earlier. Little family visit. Only takes leaving the airport to remember why I hate it here. ####ing dump. 

Good thing you aren’t whining like a little west coast bitch about it.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, xthunt said:

Good thing you aren’t whining like a little west coast bitch about it.

I lived in this dump for 30 plus years. I can bad mouth all I want. You spend a month in the SF Bay Area and this region will make you gag too. 

Edit it to add, pretty sure West Coast Bitch is a proper noun that needs capitalization. 

18 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

I lived in this dump for 30 plus years. I can bad mouth all I want. You spend a month in the SF Bay Area and this region will make you gag too. 

Edit it to add, pretty sure West Coast Bitch is a proper noun that needs capitalization. 

I’ve been to California a few times for work, a different part each time. Never seen anything to make me want to stay there. I did see a lot of homeless people though. A lot. Outside of the big cities, what’s better about the rural areas there? Genuinely curious

edit: can’t argue about the weather/humidity. Brutal. 

1 minute ago, xthunt said:

I’ve been to California a few times for work, a different part each time. Never seen anything to make me want to stay there. I did see a lot of homeless people though. A lot. Outside of the big cities, what’s better about the rural areas there? Genuinely curious

Well, it’s the same everywhere when you put it that way. The rural areas (everywhere any state) can be pretty dumpy. I’ve worked all over the southeast and have come to the absolute conclusion that it is the true armpit of this country. I’ve never been to a city without homelessness. Why is this a problem in the wealthiest country on the globe? I dunno. Plenty of people in the piss ant rural south depend on social safety nets too, not as visible I guess. 

What makes it better? Quality of life. Short commutes. Awesome schools (for the kiddos). Very diverse. I can walk to anything, not that I always do but, I could. 

Not sure what you’re try to get at though. I’ve lived in a few different places and worked In more than I can count. 

I trash the southeast because it sucks, I know it sucks because I have spent more time than anyone should have to here. The worst part is I’ll end up back here at some point because of what I do. 

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Well, it’s the same everywhere when you put it that way. The rural areas (everywhere any state) can be pretty dumpy. I’ve worked all over the southeast and have come to the absolute conclusion that it is the true armpit of this country. I’ve never been to a city without homelessness. Why is this a problem in the wealthiest country on the globe? I dunno. Plenty of people in the piss ant rural south depend on social safety nets too, not as visible I guess. 

What makes it better? Quality of life. Short commutes. Awesome schools (for the kiddos). Very diverse. I can walk to anything, not that I always do but, I could. 

Not sure what you’re try to get at though. I’ve lived in a few different places and worked In more than I can count. 

I trash the southeast because it sucks, I know it sucks because I have spent more time than anyone should have to here. The worst part is I’ll end up back here at some point because of what I do. 

All about perspective, I guess. Whenever I went there, I would notice the litter everywhere, homeless folk pushing carts or laying on bags of trash, unmaintained infrastructure, dried up natural vegetation, the worst traffic I’ve ever seen, smog domes over the cities. I’ve lived in AZ for a few years too, and that place was garbage with garbage people. Don’t want to derail your journal too much with our Biggie vs Tupac bs, though. 

• Like 1
On 7/1/2018 at 5:28 PM, 1891Bro said:

And I forgot to get salt I should have enough for a two gallon change. Also my zoas seem to have a tumor of some sort. Between the two orange skirted ones. Looks to be a part of the purple looking ones stalk when they’re closed. Anyone ever seen something like it before?

D41DF250-9E4C-4284-AD9F-3F21D2BE8E63.jpeg

I can't quite tell what it is, but possibly a sponge or tunicate type thing? 

1 hour ago, 1891Bro said:

Judging by how much I hate spending time in any city bigger than about 100k people, I suspect I'd hate the Bay Area.  :lol:

Thank The Pilot, I’m back home. Hectic few days. Damn snails knocked over some coral but, considering I’m always worrying about coming back to a pile of burned down ashes with an insurance adjuster and the fire marshall standing there saying, “Son, we found the cause...”, it just gets worse from there. So, a successful trip. Glad to be back. My two year old all but kissed the ground when we landed. That was funny. 

• Like 3

So this was a little pm exchange that I found hilarious. Just gonna copy and paste so not to name names. 

I get get a message reading:

Hi, 

do you have any pictures of your tank?  I was just on the 50$ bugger post and you were talking about different "boogers" you had, so I thought I would go to your page and see.  I couldn't find any.  

I reply:

Did the joke go that far over your head? You don’t really wanna see photos of boogers do you? Pictures of my tank on my build thread. 

Then I get back:

😅 okay, okay maybe it did.  In my defense I was breezing through it and didn't fully read it. It was variety this and vintage that.   I thought I could blame it on a glass of wine, but it was too early in the morning.   NOw I will go look at your build thread if I can find it.

Read carefully folks. 

• Haha 3

That’s funny! I remember reading that original conversation about the boogers... it stumped me at first too haha. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

One of my micros definitely has a super small bubble algae growing on it. Super strong peroxide out of tank will kill it?

Toss it!!! Haha just kidding. I have no idea. 😉

16 minutes ago, 1891Bro said:

Distilled water on sale at CVS. #winning

Thanks for the heads up! Distilled is convenient, and probably safest, but all these plastic jugs... maybe I’ll go back to RODI from the LFS and just use some food grade containers that won’t leach substances into the water. 

On 8/9/2018 at 2:21 PM, banasophia said:

Thanks for the heads up! Distilled is convenient, and probably safest, but all these plastic jugs... maybe I’ll go back to RODI from the LFS and just use some food grade containers that won’t leach substances into the water. 

Well, I just meant I was #winning. 

• Haha 1

Took the wife and crumb snatchers to Pacifica for a little last day of summer break outing. Big one starts school in the morning. Walked down the pier to watch the people fish and look out at the ocean and shit. See some wildlife. That stuff. Saw a wild ass jellyfish. Looking down from the pier so 20ish feet away but it was big. Maybe 2’ across. Crazy color. White with purple stripes. Photo doesn’t capture it that well. Just cell photos. I’ll post the cropped and uncropped. 

502BE455-22B2-49A1-BF4D-90E9501A75AE.jpeg

D29A776A-8670-4941-9D75-604C4F67BE2A.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2