Top Shelf Aquatics

Ninja's Fluval Evo 13.5 - Reboot Color Theme!

ninjamyst

skyscraper2290
1 hour ago, ninjamyst said:

good thing I grabbed a pic of the nem last night.  I had a feeling it is going for a walk and it sure did.  Woke up to find it near the other side of the tank hidden from view.  Blah.  

Classic haha, hopefully it will come back out into view for you! It’s a gorgeous nem!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Man that sucks,it looked so good in the tank,but as you know all too well it happens. What're you thinking of swapping over ? 

Fragged it into 3 pieces and kept two of the small frags.  This frogspawn went from 2 heads to 11!  Crazy.  Also moved the gold hammer to the main tank.  I am going back to the original idea for this tank to be a bommie tank.  The large euphyilla takes away from the shape of the rock.  Going to turn the rock into a zoa rock for the most part =).

• Like 5
  • 4 weeks later...

So the blue star leopard wrasse is looking skinny because the clownfish is hogging all the food despite my best attempt to spread the pellets all over.  I need to decide whether to move the clownfish to the 75 gallon which has a pair of matured clowns already or move the blue star leopard to the 75 but she will just get outcompete there too...hmmm...

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

So the blue star leopard wrasse is looking skinny because the clownfish is hogging all the food despite my best attempt to spread the pellets all over.  I need to decide whether to move the clownfish to the 75 gallon which has a pair of matured clowns already or move the blue star leopard to the 75 but she will just get outcompete there too...hmmm...

The 75 may have more area for the wrasse to graze naturally?  And some extra room for it to find the food that clowns didn’t get to. 

So so the gold torch in here really love the direct light?  

3 minutes ago, micoastreefing said:

The 75 may have more area for the wrasse to graze naturally?  And some extra room for it to find the food that clowns didn’t get to. 

So so the gold torch in here really love the direct light?  

yup, i had the torch directly under the light and no bleaching.  I did rescape and moved it to the back of the rock so it is getting less light now.  

Well, I decided to reboot this tank.  I moved all the euphyllias to my 75g since they are outgrowing the tank.   Fragged all the zoas off the rock.  Got rid of the gorgonians.  

I see a lot of theme tanks, like species theme, region theme, etc.  But I am going to go with a COLOR theme.  Red, orange, yellow - warm color theme.  No blue or green or purple.  The top will be RBTA and bottom will be acans, blastos, etc.  Keeping the brommie look so nothing on the sandbed that's not right next to the rock.  Still in the early stage but here's what it looking like now:

spacer.png

0-sQ2y97Ef5ypQqH4KJ8fQK_n7eIespMiVZN8Z9D

• Like 8
  • Wow 4
On 10/30/2018 at 3:40 PM, ninjamyst said:

The female clownfish in the big tank bites me ALL the time.  It's the surprise that gets me every time.  I have broken branches off of SPS when she bites me and i flinch.  It gotten so bad that when I do a lot of work in the tank, my wife has to stand next to me and guard my arm with a long turkey baster.

My wife stands next to me and laughs...

I have learned not to flinch, and bear it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Well, I decided to reboot this tank.  I moved all the euphyllias to my 75g since they are outgrowing the tank.   Fragged all the zoas off the rock.  Got rid of the gorgonians.  

I see a lot of theme tanks, like species theme, region theme, etc.  But I am going to go with a COLOR theme.  Red, orange, yellow - warm color theme.  No blue or green or purple.  The top will be RBTA and bottom will be acans, blastos, etc.  Keeping the brommie look so nothing on the sandbed that's not right next to the rock.  Still in the early stage but here's what it looking like now:

spacer.png

0-sQ2y97Ef5ypQqH4KJ8fQK_n7eIespMiVZN8Z9D

Way to make a splash 😁. Hope to see regular update on this reboot. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Garf said:

My wife stands next to me and laughs...

I have learned not to flinch, and bear it.

They suddenly stopped biting me.  Hahah.  Maybe they were mating back then and protective of potential eggs.

2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Way to make a splash 😁. Hope to see regular update on this reboot. 

haha, been busy traveling and being lazy to update. 

• Like 1

got a new BTA, this one is more orange than red.  Of course it decides to move to the back of the rock where I can barely see it.  And the other two bigger BTAs lost their bubbles and the tiny one is starting to bleach?  But I love having this BTA tank so I can try different things to see what makes BTAs bubble up and thrive.  

• Like 1

A couple of updates:

1. Clownfish is hosting the new BTA =).  But it's still sitting in the back of the rocks.  Blah.
  2. Bleaching continues but I think I figured out the cause.  The IM magnet cleaner was rusting.  Threw it out, did 30% water change, added some carbon.  Hoping this is the cause.
  3. A local reefer is breaking down his tank and selling two BTAs.  They are VERY bubbly.  Went over to pick them up.  They are attached to a big rock with lots of SPS on it.  Another buyer was there for the SPS and they took the rock out to chisel the SPS off.  But the guy ended up chiseling the BTAs instead and tore both of them up.  Sigh.  One completely tore apart into two pieces.  The other one has a torn foot.  I took them both for a discount and they are recovering in the 75g.  I hope they pull through.

Want to get another fish for this tank but not sure what....hmm....don't want another clownfish in case they fight.  Has to be yellow/orange/red/pink.  Don't want a clown goby since there's no place for it to perch with all the BTAs.  No firefish or goby since I don't run a top.  Ideas?

• Like 2
mitten_reef
2 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

Has to be yellow/orange/red/pink.  Don't want a clown goby since there's no place for it to perch with all the BTAs.  No firefish or goby since I don't run a top.  Ideas?

6-line wrasse?  Beautiful pink coloration with a tiny splash of green and blue. The clown should hold its own against a 6-line. 

Christopher Marks

Great to see the reboot @ninjamyst, I dig the color theme!

How long had you had that IM magnet cleaner before you found the rust? Good catch! Hopefully those new bubble tip anemones bounce back too after the move to your 75.

On 6/7/2019 at 2:46 PM, ninjamyst said:

I am going to go with a COLOR theme.  Red, orange, yellow - warm color theme

Pajama Cardinalfish? 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Christopher Marks said:

Great to see the reboot @ninjamyst, I dig the color theme!

How long had you had that IM magnet cleaner before you found the rust? Good catch! Hopefully those new bubble tip anemones bounce back too after the move to your 75.

Pajama Cardinalfish? 

Had the magnet for over a year now and always in the tank.  I have a new unopened one that I will use and remove from the tank afterwards instead of letting it sit in the tank.  The new bubble tips are doing great!  Instead of two, now I have three and at a discount.  Hahah.  Manual fragging.  

I been having some bad luck with fish from LFS.  Spent $90 yesterday on a leopard wrasse and two dartfish and all 3 not doing well in my 75g.  All my old fish are fine.  So I will be making an order at LiveAquaria instead.  For this nano, I am thinking about this guy:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/6593/bells-flasher-wrasse?pcatid=6593&c=15+1536+6593

It's red!  jk.  I am not spending $550 on a wrasse.  hahah

• Haha 1