ReefCleaners.org

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks bud!

Thanks!  Still debating sand. 😅

one more pic. Here’s a replacement gorg, looks like a tree - love it!  I had to trim a bunch of branches off 2-3 inches so that it won’t be droopy/floppy 😄 - hence, the clipped ends. 

5674CBBB-F524-455C-853C-0380F354723D.thumb.jpeg.7ff7726dc4f82c9696d1fef6cfca166f.jpeg

Is that photosynthetic?

1 minute ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Is that photosynthetic?

Nope! That’s why I gotta catch the polyps out and about in the morning like today (“working from home” day). Or late in the evening. 

• Like 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
2 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Nope! That’s why I gotta catch the polyps out and about in the morning like today (“working from home” day). Or late in the evening. 

Nice :smilie:. I want one, but I don't know about me keeping it alive lol.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Nice :smilie:. I want one, but I don't know about me keeping it alive lol.

This yellow/orange one seems a bit easier than my original red with gold polyps gorg. I killed two of those 😅. They do prefer cleaner water, as algae likes to grow on their skin. I’m looking for a few other varieties to try. 

• Like 3
9 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

New frag island. I really like this rock that I found in my old stash of rocks. It allows frags to be placed closer together without them actually being all that close because of all the branches. 
D3E82DE3-653E-42A0-87DF-C3029C03680F.thumb.jpeg.839bf888ee1a780e06954765411d29ed.jpeg

fed the sun corals this morning. The orange looks like they wanna come out but still having a tough time. Trying to “train” them to come out more too - by feeding in the dark, then turn on the light. So I was told, @banasophia did you have to do anything with the sun corals to have them all out all the time?

483102D6-0B8F-4950-BD26-57B99EE850E6.thumb.jpeg.4603f1a923bffc65582b0e533f8a0c40.jpeg

I totally love that frag island!!!

The suns aren’t really afraid of the light, I find that it’s more that they get used to being fed at a certain time of day... my suns open when I start feeding them and then they get used to being fed at that time of day if you’re consistent and open up more readily (as opposed to the dendros which stay open most of the time).

I find they open more easily if I feed them at the same time each day. I usually start by squirting a little tank water mixed with a little bit of coral frenzy (or reef roids) powder over them to induce a feeding response, then in about 15-30 minutes once they are open I target feed them meaty foods including reef frenzy nano, marine cuisine, and then whatever small frozen food I've mixed in that day like baby brine shrimp or cyclopods. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
10 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

This yellow/orange one seems a bit easier than my original red with gold polyps gorg. I killed two of those 😅. They do prefer cleaner water, as algae likes to grow on their skin. I’m looking for a few other varieties to try. 

yeah the gorg I have has a few spots of algae. So far that thing is still alive. I got a photosynthetic one so I didn't have to feed as much.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, banasophia said:

I totally love that frag island!!!

The suns aren’t really afraid of the light, I find that it’s more that they get used to being fed at a certain time of day... my suns open when I start feeding them and then they get used to being fed at that time of day if you’re consistent and open up more readily (as opposed to the dendros which stay open most of the time).

I find they open more easily if I feed them at the same time each day. I usually start by squirting a little tank water mixed with a little bit of coral frenzy (or reef roids) powder over them to induce a feeding response, then in about 15-30 minutes once they are open I target feed them meaty foods including reef frenzy nano, marine cuisine, and then waterever small frozen food I've mixed in that day like baby brine shrimp or cyclopods. 

That’s quite a feeding procedure. I haven’t been doing any meaty food yet. Need to do that more, my acan’s need more meaty food. I also haven’t been waiting for them to open when I broadcast-feed reef roid to the whole tank. 
need to feed better variety. The dry stuff is too easy. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

That’s quite a feeding procedure. I haven’t been doing any meaty food yet. Need to do that more, my acan’s need more meaty food. I also haven’t been waiting for them to open when I broadcast-feed reef roid to the whole tank. 
need to feed better variety. The dry stuff is too easy. 

Does broadcast feeding the tank get them to open up? I usually consider the powdered food to be the appetizer and then the meaty food is the meal. 🙂

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, banasophia said:

Does broadcast feeding the tank get them to open up? I usually consider the powdered food to be the appetizer and then the meaty food is the meal. 🙂

Yeup. That’s how they came opened this morning, I think. I usually just don’t have the time to sit around waiting for them to observe them opening up, whether for pictures or to feed meaty food. 
😂 app and meal. I put a lot of reef roid to be the meal itself. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

And I'm home 😊. Making some water for a water change and I may just go grab some beers. Ohh gonna drink a shit ton of CBD.. 👀

One could think you’re already on your way with the beer and the candy... sounds like a lounge post. 

• Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
3 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

One could think you’re already on your way with the beer and the candy... sounds like a lounge post. 

Yup most definitely a lounge post 😕 sorry buddy 😬

• Haha 2
21 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

And I'm home 😊. Making some water for a water change and I may just go grab some beers. Ohh gonna drink a shit ton of CBD.. 👀

Cbd is boring.... 😴

• Haha 2
6 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Yeah kinda. Gotta be good for the new job so I'll take what I can 😂

Yeah once the new job hits.....................Daves getting an 8 ball............ :whoa: ok back on track............

Mitten Kitten you get those suns to open up yet ? I picked up maybe 25 to 30 polyps last friday.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
1 minute ago, spectra said:

Yeah once the new job hits.....................Daves getting an 8 ball............ :whoa: ok back on track............

Mitten Kitten you get those suns to open up yet ? I picked up maybe 25 to 30 polyps last friday.........

Ok let's not get crazy sir 🤣

And mitten good luck with the sun's 🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

Not gonna lie an 8 ball would make work much better... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
37 minutes ago, spectra said:

My best look at the sun corals on the last page. The black ones are out and about at feeding time. The orange is a bit beat up still, probably gonna be a while for them.  Here, I re attached it. 
53D9FA41-D7BA-445C-BE5E-B0FD5E8726C8.thumb.jpeg.90ff66bfcb5528c25bbd2244746f0732.jpeg

• Like 2
DSFIRSTSLTWATER
11 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

My best look at the sun corals on the last page. The black ones are out and about at feeding time. The orange is a bit beat up still, probably gonna be a while for them.  Here, I re attached it. 
53D9FA41-D7BA-445C-BE5E-B0FD5E8726C8.thumb.jpeg.90ff66bfcb5528c25bbd2244746f0732.jpeg

Sun corals are so strange. I wonder if they are this fussy in the wild..

52 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Are they not deep water coral? 

I think they're just non-photosynthetic living under the overhang and crevices, idk tho.

15 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

Have you tried taking them out and putting in a container with lots of food for 10 mins to see if they will open up?

hmmm, good idea.  maybe this wknd - wont have much time during the holidays

• Like 1