Coral Vue Hydros

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

32 minutes ago, billygoat said:

Looking very crisp. 👌 Gorgeous Rics, as always. How's that yellow NPS gorgonian been doing?

Thank you.
the NPS has been better. But starting to show some polyps again this week finally. May have to move it back to the far end of the tank to avoid from getting too much light. 

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

It’s been better. But starting to show some polyps again this week finally. May have to move it back to the far end of the tank to avoid getting too much light. 

Seems reasonable. I think the light is a big deal for those NPS gorgs. That particular species (Diodogorgia nodulifera) is normally found in like 80+ feet of water, so it probably doesn't have the same UV-blocking "sunscreen" pigments found in most of the other shallow-water corals common in the hobby. Exposure to excessive light can also promote algal growth on the axis of the gorgonian - something it likely doesn't have much defense against, since it lives too deep to have to deal with much algae growing on it in nature.

Have you observed it at night? It may show better extension once the lights turn off for the day. That could be a good time to feed it.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, billygoat said:

Seems reasonable. I think the light is a big deal for those NPS gorgs. That particular species (Diodogorgia nodulifera) is normally found in like 80+ feet of water, so it probably doesn't have the same UV-blocking "sunscreen" pigments found in most of the other shallow-water corals common in the hobby. Exposure to excessive light can also promote algal growth on the axis of the gorgonian - something it likely doesn't have much defense against, since it lives too deep to have to deal with much algae growing on it in nature.

Have you observed it at night? It may show better extension once the lights turn off for the day. That could be a good time to feed it.

yeah, it makes sense with the light.  there's definitely a film of algae on the stems/branches, as they're not as brightly colored as they used to be.  I also think it may not receive enough flow being tucked behind that center rock.  I tried to pull it out the other night when I cleaned the glass, but lost the flat-disk base, so had to kinda wedge it back into the same spot.

it has more polyps later in the evening, and that's when I've been feeding the corals and NPS in general, because the sun corals also behave the same way.    

Wow, beautiful shots!  Do you feed the blue maxima clam on a regular basis?  I'd love to get one someday if it didn't require any special feeding.  Otherwise, I'll just have to enjoy yours over the years. 🙂  Love that purple coralline algae too! 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
42 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

it’s electric! 😄

💥

35 minutes ago, FISHnChix said:

Dont post on this thread enough,  but wanted to say still love this tank! Keep the pictures coming .. WE ARE WATCHING:ninja:

here's one more, the sunnyDs continue to struggle to regain its former glow.  That little hint of orange is more than I've seen in months. Rasta just kept chugging along. I was gonna say this is all for my zoas/paly collection, but I do have some utter chaos out on the other side of the tank.  

49457229098_f908161f2f_b.jpg    

6 minutes ago, Seadragon said:

Wow, beautiful shots!  Do you feed the blue maxima clam on a regular basis?  I'd love to get one someday if it didn't require any special feeding.  Otherwise, I'll just have to enjoy yours over the years. 🙂  Love that purple coralline algae too! 😉

Thanks, glad you enjoy them.  The clam doesn't get any special diet in my tank.  I broadcast feed my corals with reef roid and frozen food "juice", so it gets a share of that.  And it's getting blasted with plenty of light daily.  

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Seadragon said:

Do you feed the blue maxima clam on a regular basis?  I'd love to get one someday if it didn't require any special feeding

Clams don't necessarily need special feeding, but they do consume quite a bit of calcium.

Tank looks great Matteo! Love those LA Lakers. Are the orange ones scrambled Eggs?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Clams don't necessarily need special feeding, but they do consume quite a bit of calcium.

Tank looks great Matteo! Love those LA Lakers. Are the orange ones scrambled Eggs?

Thanks!  The zoas are, from left to right, scrambled eggs, blue eyed blonde, and fruit loop. There’s a peek of some Rastas in the upper left background. 

As for the LA Lakers comparison (per google image searches), it seems to have same yellow on both the oral disc and the skirt, while the scrambled eggs have green skirt.  the blue parts are slightly different as well.  I definitely prefer the color profile on the scrambled eggs more.

Edited by mitten_reef
checked into LA Lakers zoas
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

I love that clam!

Thanks! Me too! Got a great deal at LFS. 

55 minutes ago, Pjanssen said:

This reminds me to think of it as another ca/alk consumer of the tank.  

• Like 3
On 1/27/2020 at 11:04 PM, billygoat said:

I moved the gorg last night, shook it around in the tank water, a bunch of loose film (algae?) came off. But here it is this afternoon, working at home today. Just took this with iPhone. There’s a red one in the back, that one doesn’t show the polyps very much if any. 
279DDB6F-CF02-49BC-8231-ADCC6E4CCC66.thumb.jpeg.787f7e28e690738ed1c37e3ffae85365.jpeg

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, TheKleinReef said:

Wow! Stunning pictures and tank. 

Thanks! and Welcome!

Did I mention I "work from home" today?

Here's another pic from last night shoot.  Blue Tonga Tenuis, I think it's a tenuis...  the polyps are still a bit shy.  Top-down of the same one seen in the forest fire digi above.

49457701656_5259eb7a5e_b.jpg

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, spectra said:

get to work...……………...:tongueout: 

The gorg looks great you mount it on the side glass...……….. :unsure: 

No.  the gorg is vertical in the tank. the picture was taken vertical/portrait.  but when I did a direct upload to NR, it got turned sideway. :huh: 

1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

No.  the gorg is vertical in the tank. the picture was taken vertical/portrait.  but when I did a direct upload to NR, it got turned sideway. :huh: 

I know just giving you shit...……...now get back to work...…….. :biggrin:

• Like 1