Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

16 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

Gosh you take awesome photos. And your corals are on fire. Makes me want to spend more money on my system XD 

Thank you!  welcome back, took you long enough to pop in here....I did change the screen name while you were gone tho.  I've been watching your WB 130 progress, that's an awesome looking tank you got.  I don't think you need more money in the system, you need more money for corals at this point 😉

• Like 1

so do you test nitrates ? one thing I dont test as I figured I had some..........tested UL Phos and it was at like 002 or 02 well tested nitrates and nothing............kind of wonder if thats why my acros look like crap........

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, spectra said:

so do you test nitrates ? one thing I dont test as I figured I had some..........tested UL Phos and it was at like 002 or 02 well tested nitrates and nothing............kind of wonder if thats why my acros look like crap........

Nope, but just ran downstairs to do a quick test for you.  😉

no I don’t have detectable nitrate, if anything it’s definitely less than 5 ppm per my old API kit.  the color is pretty much the same as 0. 
because of those needy NPS, I’m feeding daily now which might help keep nutrients available?  I took my media bag out a week ago, it had phosguard and carbon in it. 
So far no adverse effect. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Thank you!  welcome back, took you long enough to pop in here....I did change the screen name while you were gone tho.  I've been watching your WB 130 progress, that's an awesome looking tank you got.  I don't think you need more money in the system, you need more money for corals at this point 😉

You must be thinking of @Thrassian AtollI have been watching his 130 build also. I post a bit on there hehe. He has a nice collection of corals going! I have a waterbox 70.3. Just now adding corals to it. Haven’t updated in months

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Elizabeth94 said:

You must be thinking of @Thrassian AtollI have been watching his 130 build also. I post a bit on there hehe. He has a nice collection of corals going! I have a waterbox 70.3. Just now adding corals to it. Haven’t updated in months

Oh, I thought you both have the same tank. But yeah his is cool too. 
Well, give us some updates on your tank. 

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll

Tanks looking great Mitten!  Your getting some really nice polyp extension on your sps.  

How big is the clam?  That’s a good looking one.  I have been interested in clams but I can’t find any that are 3” or more.  I don’t want to have to feed a baby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Thrassian Atoll said:

Tanks looking great Mitten!  Your getting some really nice polyp extension on your sps.  

How big is the clam?  That’s a good looking one.  I have been interested in clams but I can’t find any that are 3” or more.  I don’t want to have to feed a baby.

Thanks!  The clam is about 3”.
I’ve seen 5-6” ones at LFS, but those easily go for $150-250 each. 

• Like 2
Thrassian Atoll
1 minute ago, mitten_reef said:

Thanks!  The clam is about 3”.
I’ve seen 5-6” ones at LFS, but those easily go for $150-250 each. 

Seems like all of the ones online are just 1-2”.  I got a while to go before I get one though.  Still debating on what type too.  

• Like 1

So since I pulled the media bag with phosguard and carbon in it (maybe two weeks ago), the orange in sunnyDs have started to come back. 

Is phosphate important in coloration?  I know it’s good to have some, but I don’t ever measure it.
I chose to run small amount of phosguard (2 tablespoons in media bag) because I used to run into cyano every now and again, but I haven’t seen any sign of it yet. So if all goes well and corals color up, this tank will officially be mature enough to run with ZERO filtration media. 

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

So since I pulled the media bag with phosguard and carbon in it (maybe two weeks ago), the orange in sunnyDs have started to come back. 

Is phosphate important in coloration?  I know it’s good to have some, but I don’t ever measure it.
I chose to run small amount of phosguard (2 tablespoons in media bag) because I used to run into cyano every now and again, but I haven’t seen any sign of it yet. So if all goes well and corals color up, this tank will officially be mature enough to run with ZERO filtration media. 

Phosphate is pretty is important. You want to maintain a level of measurable phosphate, but not so much it'll mitigate clacifying growth. My tank does well around .06 to .1ppm.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

I also realized I didn't answer the question. For me, if my po4 bottoms out, my corals tend to brown out. If it goes too high, my corals either green out or tend to start stning from the tips. 

Thanks!
Right now, mine are on the brown spectrum. I don’t own a phosphate test kit. So I will be visually observing any color changes from the sunnyD to the sps. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, pokerdobe said:

Phosphate is pretty is important. You want to maintain a level of measurable phosphate, but not so much it'll mitigate clacifying growth. My tank does well around .06 to .1ppm.

What are you using to measure the phosphates ? 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, pokerdobe said:

I currently test 1x a week using a hanna ULR Po4 checker. I gave up trying to color match the other test kits. 

Ok I have one of those and test also.............came up with .02 and nitrates are zero on my red sea kit..............acros a growing slow...........and look like poop to me.........a few look good but in general not the greatest of growth..........wondering if I need them a little higher...........

3 minutes ago, spectra said:

Ok I have one of those and test also.............came up with .02 and nitrates are zero on my red sea kit..............acros a growing slow...........and look like poop to me.........a few look good but in general not the greatest of growth..........wondering if I need them a little higher...........

Hmmmmm..... have you considered getting rid of them?  That sounds easier. fingerscrossed

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, spectra said:

@pokerdobe will probably tell you to also get MORE light!!!  

@pokerdobe will probably tell you to also get MORE light!!!  

Am sure I have enough........... :lol: between the 4 90s and 4 T5 bulbs I can bleach anything..............

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, spectra said:

Am sure I have enough........... :lol: between the 4 90s and 4 T5 bulbs I can bleach anything..............

That’s a powerful set up for sure, but I’ll just leave this here. 

That’s a powerful set up for sure, but I’ll just leave this here. 

I saw that when he posted........... I get notifications....... :wink:

• Haha 2