Top Shelf Aquatics

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

DSFIRSTSLTWATER
Just now, mitten_reef said:

Definitely. If you have a power head sitting around, try that to see how the corals like it before spending $$ on another kps. 

Oh I already have it. Got two last Christmas. My wife got me the kps instead of the kpms. The pumps were supposed to be for the 75 🤣. So I have a brand new one sitting in the box waiting to be installed.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I’ve never had an MP10. But the gyre has been great moving water all the way across the tank, and I’m only running it at 50%. I’m still planning on getting a second one for the opposite side. 

😉oops wrong quote and of course there isn't a delete function 😛

Edited by Matteo
4 hours ago, Coolbreeze said:

Very nice look. Can you tell me how you like the Gyro? Right now I am torn between the Gyro and the MP10.

Nero 5 should be on your list... 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I’ve never had an MP10. But the gyre has been great moving water all the way across the tank, and I’m only running it at 50%. I’m still planning on getting a second one for the opposite side. 

Dear God don't turn it up unless you want to blow tissue off your corals. I have 2 of the 40 size from Jebao and they can turn my 8' coral runs into a Jacuzzi. Gyres move a hell of a lot of water. I'd LOVE to see a super small gyre for small tanks. The CP-25s we have keep the water in the 57 rimless moving at about 30%.

• Like 1
WindyCityReefer.
19 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

On another news, this beauty should be home next week. 
8BEFF69A-7BEC-4CA7-A157-9439D1F3D905.thumb.jpeg.abf3879ee25256fcb695a3dc958831fe.jpeg

Yes!! Cannot wait to see it above the tank!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Dear God don't turn it up unless you want to blow tissue off your corals. I have 2 of the 40 size from Jebao and they can turn my 8' coral runs into a Jacuzzi. Gyres move a hell of a lot of water. I'd LOVE to see a super small gyre for small tanks. The CP-25s we have keep the water in the 57 rimless moving at about 30%.

Mine is the icecap 1K which max out at 1000gph, less flow than those jebao CPs. 

But agreed! Even smaller gyres can churn over a 4-foot tank easily. 

23 hours ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Oh I already have it. Got two last Christmas. My wife got me the kps instead of the kpms. The pumps were supposed to be for the 75 🤣. So I have a brand new one sitting in the box waiting to be installed.

2 KPS won’t be enough for a 75, I don’t think. But go ahead and throw two in the waterbox.

• Like 1

Picked up three new pieces at the LFS today.  I think I should buy an RODI unit. Every trip to LFS for water ends up with new coral purchase. 😅

got a chunky piece that looks like pink Cadillac acro, a big fat yellow ric, and a white-polyp red gorgonian tree. 

time to do some tank cleaning and mounting some more frags. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Some dirty glass fts, this one is for @WV Reefer and @Matteo
I finally got enough frags onto the rock to remove the frag rack off the front pane. 😄

some frags got moved to the side rack for the time being. 

5716BC14-25E4-4088-8487-3DD9C6500628.jpeg

Yay! 😁

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Some dirty glass fts, this one is for @WV Reefer and @Matteo
I finally got enough frags onto the rock to remove the frag rack off the front pane. 😄

some frags got moved to the side rack for the time being. 

5716BC14-25E4-4088-8487-3DD9C6500628.jpeg

looks a little blue but who am I to judge.................:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, mitten_reef said:

My fish say they hate you. Crank up to bright white just to grab this one. 
B416BBA7-AF88-4EEA-9844-10C88B9971BB.thumb.jpeg.424a391544e17bd2230c45de4ed4741f.jpeg

Does that light not have a photo mode ?

Thats my issue since I ditched the nanobox..............no photo mode and well............20K mode and 4 blue plus T5s............

• Like 4
8 minutes ago, spectra said:

Does that light not have a photo mode ?

Thats my issue since I ditched the nanobox..............no photo mode and well............20K mode and 4 blue plus T5s............

Yeah that’s my photomode right now, all channel 100%.  The purple comes out a little ridiculous, I know. Can’t wait to have some T5 to mellow out the LED. 4 bulbs, you say? 

23579467-8ADD-4A41-ACD4-75D772A03FB5.thumb.jpeg.677a279e7a228b235300c030ef7bf643.jpeg

• Like 3
2 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

Picked up three new pieces at the LFS today.  I think I should buy an RODI unit. Every trip to LFS for water ends up with new coral purchase. 😅

got a chunky piece that looks like pink Cadillac acro, a big fat yellow ric, and a white-polyp red gorgonian tree. 

time to do some tank cleaning and mounting some more frags. 

You're just like me... 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Matteo said:

Don't you have a fancy new fruit 12000 extreme mega X phone? 

Play with the white balance settings would ya! 

I’ve been using a 5 year old phone, didn’t even know of the new editing options on the new one. Need to get up to speed on that. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mitten_reef said:

I’ve been using a 5 year old phone, didn’t even know of the new editing options on the new one. Need to get up to speed on that. 

Hmm who was it flexing their iPhone 11 🤔

• Haha 2
41 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Hmm who was it flexing their iPhone 11 🤔

😂 I just don’t know how to fully use the 11 yet. There are more editing functions available now compared to my old phone. 
Here’s the one with cleaned front glass this afternoon. I tried messing with the light settings a bit more. 

50446BCB-3CB7-4800-97BE-6E8BD72D9655.thumb.jpeg.337f6e7575a401a3ee7ffcb7ac0e940d.jpeg

• Like 5
17 hours ago, spectra said:

Thats my issue since I ditched the nanobox..............no photo mode

Funny there's a light with a built-in photo-mode.  Didn't know that.

Anyone ever put together a "how to cheat at reef photography" article that has all the tricks in one place? 

There are SO MANY CHEATS that reef photography reminds me of console video games!!   LOL

image.png.f86bf20051249e07dda2e996844f278a.png

Not precisely related, but a good link on how fakery is perpetrated regularly with photographs...someone could do a similar writeup on reef photography:

https://www.boredpanda.com/truth-behind-photography-tricks

(funny to see so many commentators on the page miss the point and reply "but that's how you take that kind of photo, it's not fake!"  LOL)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
57 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Funny there's a light with a built-in photo-mode.  Didn't know that.

Anyone ever put together a "how to cheat at reef photography" article that has all the tricks in one place? 

There are SO MANY CHEATS that reef photography reminds me of console video games!!   LOL

image.png.f86bf20051249e07dda2e996844f278a.png

Not precisely related, but a good link on how fakery is perpetrated regularly with photographs...someone could do a similar writeup on reef photography:

https://www.boredpanda.com/truth-behind-photography-tricks

(funny to see so many commentators on the page miss the point and reply "but that's how you take that kind of photo, it's not fake!"  LOL)

In the nanobox it basically just shuts most or all the blue off I think. My issue is just to much blue now..... I do use an orange filter and call it good.

I dont have enough time to play with photos and make them look so pretty................I would rather just shoot the pic and post............

• Like 2
1 hour ago, spectra said:

In the nanobox it basically just shuts most or all the blue off I think. My issue is just to much blue now..... I do use an orange filter and call it good.

I dont have enough time to play with photos and make them look so pretty................I would rather just shoot the pic and post............

White. Balance. Setting. Don't touch my lights when I take pics

19 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Some good white balance control on your camera then. What do you use again?  I recall you mention mirrorless of some sort. 

I always had to give my old dSLR a little help with light adjustments, to get rid off the blues, otherwise no matter what white balance settings I used something is always off.  The camera was also from 2007(?), haha. the LCD preview was not even high-def, it’s always a nice surprise to see the way photos turned out on the laptop 😄

I’m gonna try to play with this new phone a bit more. 

30 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Well I dont use any balance I just snap the pic and post..................who has the time to do all that crap.................sure as hell isnt me..............

• Like 1
  • Haha 2