Cultivated Reef

Mitten_reef’s IM30L

mitten_reef

30 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Guess I now only have two colonies to deal with. Doing an extra water change today because of all the melted tissue of the dead colony. Fishing out the dead skeleton too. 

Yeah it sucks...........I bought a big one and well 1 month it was great and even encrusting...............then came home one day to RTN..............all other corals were fine.........fragged it up and still lost everything.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

I transship 6+" colonies all the time with VERY few losses. I might lose 6 colonies a year.

Oh, and shipping might be one stress. But the LFS guy also dunk all arrivals in a tub of Bayer mix. That might have something to do with it. 

2 hours ago, second_decimal said:

aghh, no bueno...

Hey 👋 welcome. I think that might be your first post here 😄. If it wasn’t, sorry I missed it. I noticed you’ve gone thru the whole thread. 😄

• Like 1
1 hour ago, spectra said:

Yeah it sucks...........I bought a big one and well 1 month it was great and even encrusting...............then came home one day to RTN..............all other corals were fine.........fragged it up and still lost everything.

I still got one more branch that hadn’t shown any signs. But who knows it could be bone white tomorrow, not holding my breath on a survivor from that colony at this point. 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

I never have much luck with mariculture colonies either.  They tend to loose their color too.  I am hoping your remaining two colonies do well!  

So far so good on the other two. Even the sun coras seem to be making good progress. 

6 hours ago, StinkyBunny said:

Yes. It's all my girl uses on Acro and Montipora colonies.

Will be my next dip purchase then. 

• Like 2
On 12/13/2019 at 12:51 AM, ninjamyst said:

I never have much luck with mariculture colonies either.  They tend to loose their color too.  I am hoping your remaining two colonies do well!  

I hate most maricultured stock other than Montiporas from one supplier in Indo. His Montis are top notch and the colour rebounds within 2 weeks. I'm not a stick guy, that's why I have someone deal with them, too damn much money to lose on an Aussie colony shipment.

• Like 1

Added one more rock to the scape to mount all the frags. Glued down 5 frags on to the new rock.

Eventually the stacked rock to the left would be smaller in size, might even be removed altogether. Yeah frag rack is still there 😅

E68E4DDB-FDF6-4920-A5CE-21A45276FADC.thumb.jpeg.131ba6fac65a2d29182fd06ebbddf60f.jpeg

• Like 8
9 hours ago, WindyCityReefer. said:

Looking great! I am hoping to take down my frag rack soon too. But my rainbow monti encrusted most of it 😅

Thanks!  Save me some of that rainbow monti please, let’s meet up at the Lansing swap. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, ninjamyst said:

i have 4 frag racks in my tank....AND I have a frag tank in the basement.  Sigh.  #toomuchcorals #firstworldproblem

frag racks are necessary evil when most corals arrive in a 1-2" nubs, sometimes even smaller.  I poked fun at AquaSD's IG post recently for calling a well-encrusted frag disc, a mini colony. Their response was "it's 2.5" disc", I just hit like and walked away, haha.   so, that's considered colony nowaday.   

• Haha 4

Oh hey, looks who’s out in full bouquet!

Black sun bloomed!!!

E7B97A72-7C0B-472F-A6B9-035457A98F9D.thumb.jpeg.d6c5e10b96261345f465d51b1cec4993.jpeg

The orange ones are still shy.  The overall polyps and tissue are looking a bit better than a couple weeks ago. How long can they really go without eating?

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, mitten_reef said:

Hot diggity dam! 
iPhone 11 Pro, no filter, no edit. FTS

lighting is roughly 14000K in real life. 

EDAC5B05-C119-49CB-B284-994F90C21A04.thumb.jpeg.901c28086d43a8344686a63ababe2347.jpeg

I really don't like Apple but I will admit they have put good focus on their cameras....even though the actual camera components in the phone itself are Sony designed and manufactured. 

For awhile Samsung was providing the retina displays for iPhones 😂

Anyway lets get them corals mounted and that frag rack OUT OF THERE! \

Looks good regardless 🙂 

My t5 bulbs will be expired in a few months and I am debating on trying a different bulb /different bulb combo. What are you using again? I guess I could go to the front of the thread. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mitten_reef said:

Hot diggity dam! 
iPhone 11 Pro, no filter, no edit. FTS

lighting is roughly 14000K in real life. 

EDAC5B05-C119-49CB-B284-994F90C21A04.thumb.jpeg.901c28086d43a8344686a63ababe2347.jpeg

Wow, yeah great pic! And tank’s looking awesome! Let’s see some close ups!!

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Matteo said:

I really don't like Apple but I will admit they have put good focus on their cameras....even though the actual camera components in the phone itself are Sony designed and manufactured. 

For awhile Samsung was providing the retina displays for iPhones 😂

Anyway lets get them corals mounted and that frag rack OUT OF THERE! \

Looks good regardless 🙂 

My t5 bulbs will be expired in a few months and I am debating on trying a different bulb /different bulb combo. What are you using again? I guess I could go to the front of the thread. 

this particular fixture doesn't have T5s.  For this one, there are 4 Nanobox Beam (mixed blue 6-LED) strips, two in each t5 bay.  that's why there's a gap in the middle of the fixture.  the Beam are mixed blue, is roughly ATI Blue Plus color mix.  

When I toyed around with the Sunpower for a little bit, I like the ATI Blue plus a lot.  I'm planning to use all Blue plus in the future, so I can run the white LED a little more for warm color balance.

• Thanks 1

New frag island. I really like this rock that I found in my old stash of rocks. It allows frags to be placed closer together without them actually being all that close because of all the branches. 
D3E82DE3-653E-42A0-87DF-C3029C03680F.thumb.jpeg.839bf888ee1a780e06954765411d29ed.jpeg

fed the sun corals this morning. The orange looks like they wanna come out but still having a tough time. Trying to “train” them to come out more too - by feeding in the dark, then turn on the light. So I was told, @banasophia did you have to do anything with the sun corals to have them all out all the time?

483102D6-0B8F-4950-BD26-57B99EE850E6.thumb.jpeg.4603f1a923bffc65582b0e533f8a0c40.jpeg

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, DSFIRSTSLTWATER said:

Hell  ya man! I like it. :happydance:

Thanks bud!

2 minutes ago, tanacharison said:

This tank is amazing! I can't wait to see it with 6 more months of growth. I'm liking your encrusting corals on the BB. 😎

Thanks!  Still debating sand. 😅

one more pic. Here’s a replacement gorg, looks like a tree - love it!  I had to trim a bunch of branches off 2-3 inches so that it won’t be droopy/floppy 😄 - hence, the clipped ends. 

5674CBBB-F524-455C-853C-0380F354723D.thumb.jpeg.7ff7726dc4f82c9696d1fef6cfca166f.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Wow 2