Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

HarryPotter

Well, me too for sure! There can be some when the leathers shed - but I think mostly with SPS and then I think you're going to keep your SPS in another tank so you should be good :) Felicia indicated that colt corals can fight with other soft corals though. But over all, I haven't seen any warfare with my softies and my LPS and/or gorgs - yet :)

I think almost all warfare can be prevented by placement and the chemicals and such from softies carbon- no?

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I want BIGGER........... :lol:

ha! Bigger is always better :P

I think almost all warfare can be prevented by placement and the chemicals and such from softies carbon- no?

Ehh, not sure. I do know that when my leathers shed, you see the skin floating around the tank. So if that hits corals that don't like it, it could cause problems. But carbon helps for sure.

Fantastic Soft Coral and LPS focused display at my local fish store!

4MoFFrN.jpg

That's at amazing aquariums right? :) Love that tank! Also that means we're locals! At least when I'm not away at school :happy:

Your tank looks great too by the way, zoas look amazing filled out like that!

ha! Bigger is always better :P

Ehh, not sure. I do know that when my leathers shed, you see the skin floating around the tank. So if that hits corals that don't like it, it could cause problems. But carbon helps for sure.

Well as of now everyone is in the same tank.............SPS,Leathers, Zoas, Plates, RFAs, Scolys and a few other things.........

BB FTW?

My nickname for Ben is BB for Buzzkill Ben :lol:

FTW is just an acronym for "for the win". Just my attempt at humor.

jedimasterben

Not sure........I just like the fact that there is no coral warfare :lol:

Then you just made a big mistake lol, because Sacrophyton and Lobophytum leathers are extremely aggressive corals :D

Oh yeah, buuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

Then you just made a big mistake lol, because Sacrophyton and Lobophytum leathers are extremely aggressive corals :D

Oh yeah, buuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :D

Bzzzzzzz zzz zzzzz

But they don't fight with each other though right? They also seem fine with my gorgonians and my lps

jedimasterben

Bzzzzzzz zzz zzzzz

But they don't fight with each other though right? They also seem fine with my gorgonians and my lps

Oh god no, they don't care what it is that is next to them, they're pumping out allelopathic toxins 24/7 trying to kill them. Most photosynthetic gorgonians are similar, they have very strong allelopathic toxins. Some corals are more sensitive to them than others, depends on the species and sometimes even down to the individual colony.

My nickname for Ben is BB for Buzzkill Ben :lol:

FTW is just an acronym for "for the win". Just my attempt at humor.

Thank you for clearing that up. My daughter said Ef The World?! Humor is good!

And BB is probably a good nickname for him, but I'm fairly sure the young Jedimaster knows his stuff.

Oh god no, they don't care what it is that is next to them, they're pumping out allelopathic toxins 24/7 trying to kill them. Most photosynthetic gorgonians are similar, they have very strong allelopathic toxins. Some corals are more sensitive to them than others, depends on the species and sometimes even down to the individual colony.

Why you gotta stress me out like that?!? :)

I will keep running my crapload of carbon then :D

Thank you for clearing that up. My daughter said Ef The World?! Humor is good!

And BB is probably a good nickname for him, but I'm fairly sure the young Jedimaster knows his stuff.

Ha! Yes, BB knows his stuff! That's for sure!

For you PJanssen Bubble Coral Update Pics and the rest of the denizens ;) (Ignore Green spots, Green Coralline Algae)

Wp67fy.jpg

SigY7S.jpg

Bubble and Blenny

6RM295.jpg

2 Duncans

wBiamb.jpg

GSP and Elegance Coral

dLxjoY.jpg

Zoas

SmqPgP.jpg

RBTA and Feather

qesIMF.jpg

B):wub::PB)

Looking Good Mike!

For you PJanssen Bubble Coral Update Pics and the rest of the denizens ;) (Ignore Green spots, Green Coralline Algae)

Wp67fy.jpg

SigY7S.jpg

Bubble and Blenny

6RM295.jpg

2 Duncans

wBiamb.jpg

GSP and Elegance Coral

dLxjoY.jpg

Zoas

SmqPgP.jpg

RBTA and Feather

qesIMF.jpg

B):wub::PB)

My favorite is still the Zoa rock climb.

Really? I was just thinking that since I had to move my rocks around a little and had to move that Zoa quite a few times, some of the Polyps seemed to have stayed closed for a day or 2 and I thought I saw some skeleton. So, I was thinking, maybe I need to, yet again, move it, but this time to the sand bed. I am gonna just let it be for now and monitor it.

TY, Penny :)

TheCurriculum

pjanssen, I have had zoa extend out not for lack of light but because my heater went out and another time as my salinty went wonky (ATO screwup). Anytime my zoa look wonky (which is rare) I check those first. But you moved them so they may just need a few more days. As always with any SW tank, if it don't look right get some fresh SW with correct salinty and do a few 20 to 30% changes.

So glad we all picked an easy almost no effort hobby for maintenances! Umm no really that is sarcasm just in case someone wasn't sure :)

pjanssen, I have had zoa extend out not for lack of light but because my heater went out and another time as my salinty went wonky (ATO screwup). Anytime my zoa look wonky (which is rare) I check those first. But you moved them so they may just need a few more days. As always with any SW tank, if it don't look right get some fresh SW with correct salinty and do a few 20 to 30% changes.

So glad we all picked an easy almost no effort hobby for maintenances! Umm no really that is sarcasm just in case someone wasn't sure :)

Haven't really moved them for several weeks. water temp is a consistent 78 degrees. ATO is working properly. My current thinking is that maybe my alkalinity is a little high at 10.1 and calcium a little low at 390, although they are not really calcium eaters

Must.Stop.The.Madness!26334339262_85c22f84df.jpgIMG_3123 by Penny, on Flickr25821817824_f1106e5b1c.jpgIMG_3124 by Penny, on FlickrAny ideas as to why my toadstool is not opening up lately? On the the sanded where it has been since I got it. Last 3-4 days it has not shown any more polyps than this26334274812_052420b198.jpgtoadstool by Penny, on FlickrAlso, any idea why my Zoas are so extended?26400718586_90ae46e761.jpgZOAS by Penny, on Flickr

Looks like your toad is going to shed. See the shiny parts? They do this every so often. A thin skin should slough off in the next few days and then your toad will open again.

Does Devil's Hand do that too? My Devil's hand, the small toadstool and the big one in Gert's tank are all closed at the same time right now.

Got 2 New Corals T'day. Pics tomorrow :( Cloudy Tank water. (Water Change, 10 Gal) Did my best trying not to stir up the sand too much...

I Failed! :angry::furious::rant::tears:

jedimasterben

Does Devil's Hand do that too? My Devil's hand, the small toadstool and the big one in Gert's tank are all closed at the same time right now.

Yes, all Sarcophyton, Lobophytum, Sinularia, Nepthea, etc all shed :)

Archived