ReefWeeds

Softies, Gorgs, LPS  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer?

• Leathers only
    • Softies including leathers
    • Gorgonians
    • LPS

Damn. TBH, IDK where it came from. Got it from my lfs, I do not know who their supplier is.

I do know that their Tanks are very well kept and that they get Livestock 3 times a week.

I Hope I don't kill it :(

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

You'll definitely want to find out where your LFS' corals come from when they get them. If the elegance wasn't from Australia, its chances of survival are slim to none. I don't know if it is something locally with these corals in Indonesia or if it is possibly a different/longer chain of custody that the corals can't handle, but those just do not fare well at all in captivity. Aussie elegances are quite a bit more expensive, but it doesn't matter if you're going to buy one from Indonesia and it just dies anyway :)

Store opens at 11. I'll drop by and ask. I Got it Saturday, Maybe I can get store credit if I bring it back.

Elegance corals are Catalyphyllia jardinei, it is not a Euphyllia. Both are in the same family, Caryophylliidae, but are not too closely related. :)

Depending on where it came from, it will likely either die very quickly or do well for you.

from Animal-World.com

Scientific name

Family: Euphyllidae

Species: Catalaphyllia jardinei

The family Euphyllidae, "... is a very large family of zooxanthellate scleractinans, that were previously grouped in the family Caryophylliidae (Mather, 1994). It includes such genera as Euphyllia, Catalyphyllia, Nemenzophyllia, Plerogyra, and Physogyra." Source: Tropical Marine Biology II, Classification of Scleractinian (Stony) Corals, by Pierre Madl, University of Vienna, 2001, Revised in Nov. 2002

keeping fingers crossed that yours will do well!

Hammerstone

Following. I have two Suns, no pictures cause my iPod won't cooperate. Those are difficult only because they need to be fed every day. I'm looking for a pink one. I saw one awhile ago but someone got it before I could. Also I'm looking for a rainbow Ricordia Florida and can't find one.

Everyone has such awesome corals btw ?

jedimasterben

from Animal-World.com

Scientific name

Family: Euphyllidae

Species: Catalaphyllia jardinei

The family Euphyllidae, "... is a very large family of zooxanthellate scleractinans, that were previously grouped in the family Caryophylliidae (Mather, 1994). It includes such genera as Euphyllia, Catalyphyllia, Nemenzophyllia, Plerogyra, and Physogyra." Source: Tropical Marine Biology II, Classification of Scleractinian (Stony) Corals, by Pierre Madl, University of Vienna, 2001, Revised in Nov. 2002

keeping fingers crossed that yours will do well!

I see now, Caryophyllidae was revised. My data source didn't reflect that :)

Astinus, where did you find a small bubble coral? I never see any, unless they're big.

I will play :)
7AA2CC26-0AD4-4CDE-B533-C83497428698_1.j

If you ever decide to frag a little piece, I'd love a piece. Do the polyps always stay nubbed, it's so pretty like that.

This thread is really wanting me to stay away from yucky sps in my new build.

Honestly, I think some of these, like my cute sinularia, look like a blue sps but they don't come with the hassle and you can enjoy seeing them grow more than 1 mm per 6 mos. And they're prettier because they have motion.

20160403_214934_zpswrjrzvmx.jpg

and sps on the right

spslike_zpsewua5o2v.jpg

or the sps on the left kinda looks like this one. Just my thoughts.

leather_zpspcrhvbn2.jpg

You'll definitely want to find out where your LFS' corals come from when they get them. If the elegance wasn't from Australia, its chances of survival are slim to none. I don't know if it is something locally with these corals in Indonesia or if it is possibly a different/longer chain of custody that the corals can't handle, but those just do not fare well at all in captivity. Aussie elegances are quite a bit more expensive, but it doesn't matter if you're going to buy one from Indonesia and it just dies anyway :)

Elegance in Indo suffer through an ridiculously lengthy and hot transportation process, which is why they are are weak coming in. Aussies have a much shorter handling time and they take much better care of them, but it's worth it the price increase

Honestly, I think some of these, like my cute sinularia, look like a blue sps but they don't come with the hassle and you can enjoy seeing them grow more than 1 mm per 6 mos. And they're prettier because they have motion.

20160403_214934_zpswrjrzvmx.jpg

and sps on the right

spslike_zpsewua5o2v.jpg

or the sps on the left kinda looks like this one. Just my thoughts.

leather_zpspcrhvbn2.jpg[/]

That's a route I am going to have to take. While I really like the highend sticks, I am not thrilled with buying tiny nubs that look nothing like the colony, and then rtn setting in. Yeah not for me, especially in a nano.

I'm finding that there is still a lot of variety and I still know so little of them. I look at websites online & eBay for fun of seeing the different kinds but NOTHING compares to the pictures on this thread or people's tanks on NR.

Throwback to my old huge tree coral..

Y6Tk5C7.jpg

kR4Gzvc.jpg

xQ6ZJZZ.jpg

DAMN! That's amazing! Love the pic with the Fish peeking out as if it were playing "Peek a Boo"

Archived